Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pieter_k

It's war.....

My wife noticed a squirrel running around our nursery area a couple of times and she noticed a few days ago that this must be a gourmant squirrel: bloody thing went after some kale seedlings. Now that those are finished the bloody thing has gone after a couple of hostas. I am NOT amused. And I have declared war!

This year I was very please with how well my 'Lakeside Kaleidoscope' was doing, no signs of sawtoothed margins, it looked real nice. Until this rat with the furry tail made short order of it. Just look at it, it's decimated...

In addition it also made short order of a 'Red October' division.

Pieter

Comments (12)

• User
    9 years ago

You get him, Pieter. Stop him before he buries nuts in your pots.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I HATE squirrels. Setting traps to kill rats eating my ripening tomatoes. Got one last night...if a squirrel happens to like cheese, he'll get what's-comin too. WAR. Might just bait some of those traps with peanuts! Go get 'em Pieter!

-Babka

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Those tree rats are so annoying!!

• tonypumpkin
    9 years ago

Had a deer problem that was only solved by a fence around the whole yard. I hate when these things happen because they put the plants at least a year behind :(

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

You all must have strange squirrels! I have lots of hostas,and plenty of squirrels,and,to date,no squirrel has EVER attacked a hosta! Just my two cents worth. Phil

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

A havahart trap is gardener's best friend. You could offer them a banquet and then a tub or a ride. And after that there is peace!

• Cindy Johnston
    9 years ago

Try Bobbex-R spray. Has worked wonders for my squirrel, rabbit, and chipmunk problem.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

I feed the birds year round which means I have lots of squirrels coming to my backyard! The squirrels don't bother my hostas too much (except for the spring). My husband believes that the sunflower seeds (which I feed the birds with) are much more attractive to them than hostas. Once in a while there is a bit of digging in my pots. (Most of my hostas are in pots.)

Sorry to hear about your Lakeside Kaleidoscope and Red October. That would be a disappointment. But I have to ask: Are you absolutely sure the squirrel is the culprit? I, like Phil, have never had this experience with squirrels.

• brandys_garden
    9 years ago

I thought my culprit was a squirrel only because they never eat the hostas or even touch them but they do dig for bugs and worms. I welcome this. But, yesterday, I found out it's not a squirrel at all, but a robin! So don't blame the squirrel's until you have proof or catch them red pawed. It could be something else entirely. It may even be a groundhog. They like hostas.

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

pieterje - sorry your hostas were damaged.

I have a couple birdfeeders in my crabapple tree that's less than 70 ft. from two huge old oaks so the squirrel population in my garden seems to be a year-long situation. They do scavenge under the feeders but none of the many hostas planted under the crabapple tree have ever been bothered.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear that, Pieter. Go get 'em!

I have to say, Phil, the squirrels around here are the same way. I don't hate 'em, because they never have bothered my plants. Ever. I'm glad for that. I guess there are more interesting things around here for them to get into.

Now, VOLES are a different story! I HATE VOLES!!! My cat brought me one on Saturday and one on Sunday. Well, the heads of the voles, anyway. I guess they're pretty tasty. Good cat!

Don B.

• esther_b
    9 years ago

I have a horrible problem with squirrels digging up my garden plants, leaving them to desiccate on the soil surface. Wasted money on 4 different sprays & powders, to no avail. Bought some egg-sized (on the average) round river stones and banked those around each and every plant. Bingo! No more digging up my plants. Yes, they still dig divots intra-stone, but not digging up plants any more. Beneficial side effect: the stones are truly lovely looking around the plants.