Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_b_gardener5bon

August Moon photo question

Hello everyone,
Which photo is better #1 or #2? Is it a matter of opinion or is it how the hosta is 'supposed' to look - if so, then which 'look' is August Moon #1 or #2? More green or more yellow/gold?
Both photos were taken today at different times.

{{gwi:1057591}}
The same question for Dream Weaver - these two photos were also both taken today and it is the same plant, each photo is a different side.
{{gwi:1047533}}
{{gwi:1047534}}

This post was edited by paula_b_gardener on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 23:13

Comments (13)

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Both are very nice and it would be a benefit to own two of each and then you wouldn't have to decide . Seems to me that is what I did. One in sun and one in shade

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Nice plants...Looks like you have a little sporting going on with your 'August Moon'.

Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I noticed the change in a couple of the leaves as well. So, if it is 'sporting' does that mean that the changed parts are a new plant?
    This is a photo of the same plant last year - you can see that it leapt this year.
    {{gwi:1047535}}

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

As far as August Moon is concerned,I think photo #2 shows it more the way August Moon looks with the gold leaves. The other one, am not familiar with. Phil

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Grown in shade or light will affect how it looks and shape of leaves...so to me question is moot. It is how it is.

Paul

• User
    10 years ago

I don't grow the second hosta. But I have August Moon. Mine gets good light in the morning and afternoon late sun. It is very gold at this time. So I like the second of the August Moon shots.

Which does not mean the first AM shot is not correct maybe for YOUR plant. It is a fine line between chartreuse and gold and the light plays a big role.

Take a look at this shot of a hosta after I put up my "yella umbrella" in the area. I was thrilled with the color changes, the softening of shadows, but as far as being the actual or REAL color of the hosta, not real. But I did not Photoshop anything, it was just the lighting conditions.

Ken mentioned that pro photographers who came to his place brought white reflective umbrellas to assure the color was balanced. I might try to figure a way to use a white reflector myself, without buying a professional setup.

But here is another of the yella umbrella photo examples, near but not UNDER the yella umbrella.
    August Moon is in the pot with the church steeple, and is the smoother leaf....the corrugated leaves belong to Midas Touch.
    This is a favorite arrangement of gold hosta from MasonHollow.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Paula, yes, it looks like a single eye is sporting off into something else. I'm no expert to talk about sporting, but you could either separate that eye and see if it stays variegated when it comes up next year, or just leave it on the plant. If it comes up variegated next year, you could remove it then. Two reasons, I guess; Remove it to keep your plant the solid color you bought, or if the piece interests you, grow it and see if it eventually reverts to solid color. If it stays a sport, cool! You have something different and maybe nice-looking (But probably not new; August Moon has more than 25 offspring by way of sporting). Anyway, that's my novice explanation of your variegated piece of plant. Hope I didn't confuse you with this ramble.

Regards,
    Don B.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Moc-if you have a piping insulator nearby you might be able to beg a mostly used roll of foil tape and a small piece of rigid vinyl sheet. Most contractors have scraps and tape tag ends laying around.

Just cut the vinyl to the size you want and cover one side with the foil tape. no pain. If not you ,might have to go to a home improvement center and buy a roll of foil tape. It is used to insulate piping exposed to sun to reflect the heat. I think the rolls are 2 1/2" wide. You can even use cardboard but the vinyl is indestructible.

Les used to work for an inulation contractor and made a light for a fish tank out of a piece of vinyl gutter covered on the inside with the foil tape.

Theresa

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

as to you learning your camera ....

good work ...

as to AM ... well. isnt it one that changes color ... getting more moony in august.. lol .. yellower ...

so i dont know why one of your pix should be better than the other ...

in one day.. over the course of a couple hours... you caught its spring color.. and its fall color ... brilliant.. !!!!

all that said.. i like the yellower pic ...

if you have a photo editor .. try manipulating the balance.... which will darken some of the contrasts.. the darker sections ... we dont favor doing such.. but you might be able to 'see' the better pic inside your pix ... NEVER adjust color ... but cheating on contrast is OK in my book ... better than that whole umbrella thing...

ken

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Don, I appreciate the explanation. It all makes sense to me now :)

Lol, thanks Ken. I wouldn't want to change the colour but I will explore the contrast option. I enjoy seeing the different results.

I suppose what I was getting at is if hosta have a 'standard' like dogs. Are they supposed to look a certain way, with a certain size, shape, colour and which of each category is more prized for each hosta. I know this varies during the season but from what I understand, some hostas improve as the season progresses - albeit not many.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

In regards to which pic, my experience AM is the yellower one seems more natural.

Color is a funny thing, and what Ken has said is, as usual, true about learning your camera. The only thing we individuals know about color is how our brain perceives the neurons being sent it by our eyes. Color is reflected light waves of varying frequency and length that are received by our nerves in our eyes. If your August Moon looks blue to you, you should see a doctor. LOL

Otherwise, what makes you happy is what you should pursue.
    Theresa

• User
    10 years ago

Paula, I think you ask a very interesting question. It got me thinking about "standards" and wondering who decided on a description for each hosta standard. Like dogs, for example.

So, based on that dog example, I'd say there are no such standards for hosta. Which means, it is open to interpretation by each judge at the shows, to why you choose that hosta (for its early season look or its subsequent color changes).....and why it is a best seller with so many people. so perennially popular and photogenic. Photogenic is important here I think.

Anyway, that is what your question prompted me to think. Lot of variables, of course.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

If someone is looking to make a reflector for photographing plants... note that Ken was talking about a white umbrella. The reflector should not be shiny, which would probably make the uneven contrast even worse.

A white fabric surface reflects a lot of muted light which helps remove some of the deep shadows vs. bright areas that cameras just can't deal with.