Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

My Bare Root is a Golden Meadows---yes or no? PART 2

One of my bare root Golden Meadows did not survive the winter. So I present to you the one remaining. It has four eyes this year. Oddly, two of the eyes are a blue tone, just as you see in the picture in the 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock position. The other two eyes look to have leaves resembling Golden Meadows. I am definitely not impressed with it at this point. But I say its a Golden Meadows. What do you say?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Bare Root is a Golden Meadows---yes or no?

Comments (13)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Probably is. But you have a plant that is unstable...cut off the all green leaves, as they will dominate.

-Babka

• mstrecke
    9 years ago

It looks like GM to me as well.

Margaret

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Yes!!!

Don B.

• irawon
    9 years ago

My first impression was that it was GM but the leaves at 11 and 4 o'clock have me thinking it might be Guardian Angel.

This post was edited by irawon on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 3:32

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Babka is right- get that reverting eye off, saving as much of the roots as you can for the GM.

I'm forever "saving" the green eye, but it's really not a good idea. I've got several boring all green reverted hostas looking for a home. Not that it stops me, I just "saved" two more, forever hopeful that this time it will be something interesting.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Babka, I don't know why, but I just hadn't thought about removing the green eyes. I guess I was thinking the eyes were immature and would develop their coloring later on. So you are thinking I should just cut them off without disturbing the roots? That does sound like a good idea.

Irawon, I agree with you that at this stage it is still not 100 percent conclusive whether this is a Golden Meadows. I think next year will be the big year and will remove any doubt once and for all!

Madplanter1, are you suggesting I remove the two eyes with their roots? It is getting quite hot outdoors now. Would you suggest I wait until August to separate? What do you think of just cutting off the blues?

Last year my potted Great Expectations grew a blue eye. Because of its size, there was no way I could remove the one eye and the roots too. So I just ripped the blue out as far down as I could. This year the blue did not reappear. Maybe cutting/ripping the blue out on this GM (I am being positive on the ID!) would be the way to go.

And, by the way Irawon, regarding my GE, it was mentioned on another thread that you may like to get in touch with me to ask specific information about how I grew GE in a pot. Just email me, if you like, and I will try to help. That goes for anyone . . . anytime.

• hostas_for_barb
    8 years ago

NHL, how is GM fairing this year? Any return of the green eyes?

• in ny zone5
    8 years ago

I have a h. 'Titanic' which developed a yellow eye. I did not need another 'Sum and Substance', so I ripped the whole shoot out. This yellow shoot never repeated, so ripping out is good enough, which then leaves the roots for the plant.

Original Author
    8 years ago

So far, so good, but very slow!

Four eyes in total, but two are very tiny. It could also be that one or both will be blue.

• hostas_for_barb
    8 years ago

NHL: GE looks good so far! I love the different colours in it. Your creamy center is beautiful! I can't believe how big the leaves on mine are this year. Probably 50% bigger than last year. You sometimes wonder what happened.

• hostas_for_barb
    8 years ago

Here is a leaf shot of GM:

Original Author
    8 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!!!!