Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mctavish6

Three Hosta Gardens - Garden 1

mctavish6
10 years ago

Three Hostas Gardens:

I have enjoyed all the recent pictures of everyone's gardens. Now that the weather is finally starting to get nice (sometimes) things are looking good. Your gardens are so unique, each with it’s own interpretations and qualities. It's nice to learn and be inspired by each other.

This spring I’ve been able to see 3 very different gardens. There is my own of course but Faye’s in the beginning of it’s second year is completely awe inspiring. I was also able to visit my sisters garden when plants were actually opening in their spring beauty. Usually I’m down there helping her get things set up but never before have actually seen the plants other than in pictures.

The three of us have similarities in that we are all hooked on hostas and like to add creative, artistic touches to the beds. I hope you will enjoy the visiting each of them.

Garden 1 belongs to my sister Judy

Judy’s Garden is outside of Seattle, Washington
She has lived in her house for over 25 years. It is a suburban yard with mature trees, many Cedar and towering Rhode’s, Camellias and ground cover. She and I got hooked on Hostas gradually after discovering a large green plant in her garden that is probably Hosta Fortunei Virdis.

A visit to Naylor Creek nursery in 2000 when they were still open to the public pretty much pushed us over the edge. She now has well over 300 varieties and has started concentrating on the small and mini’s.

The Pacific Northwest really must be the best place to grow Hostas. I was stunned by the sizes both in leaf and mound. She and I have shared plants over the years so the differences can’t be blamed on different divisions. In most cases her plants are so much larger than mine I would hardly recognize them. I felt like a dwarf walking around. There were a few cases where she was having trouble with a plant that has been very easy for me so location does make a difference.

If the climate is a positive she does have other challenges. There are mature 20 ft high Rhode’s and cedar trees in her yard and the churchyard behind her fence. Getting enough light in without loosing privacy is a constant balance. The tree roots have caused her to grow mostly in pots. Fortunately she’s never lost one to rot like those of us in colder, more unreliable climates. She battles the west coast enormous slugs and black vine beetles attracted to the Rhode’s. She’s long ago run out of space. All lawn is gone. We have had to be creative in finding places to plant and less expensive containers. A few years ago we started using plastic storage bins. They hold just about as much as a barrel and are a fraction the price. She found the blue ceramic pots in the front yard on Craig’s list.

The garden is ever changing and so beautiful. Hope you enjoy it.

Comments (17)

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My yard feels naked after all these wonderful pics !

Its just so hard to take in, I am sure glad you post these pics for us.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

I could spend my entire summer in these gardens!

I love the use of mirrors.

Judy's gardens need to be published too, they are truly an urban oasis.

Gesila

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

How lucky to have a sister to share this with. She's made a hosta wonderland in her yard. Very nice!

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Lots of OOhs and AAhs! Thanks for sharing.

Paul

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

judy sure like blue pots ...

thanks for the pix.. of all 3 gardens ...

ken

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

All 3 gardens are inspiring and inspirational. All three have different styles, each show dramatic siting and use of materials both organic and structure.

Thanks for the tours.

Jon

• becky_ia
    10 years ago

WOW! All done in pots. AMAZING feat and wonderful inspiration. Thanks for sharing. I love the little mini mouse garden! I will have to start looking for ceramic mice to add to mine-how clever.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

I adore the bottom left photo of Judy, Myrle and Faye line-dancing. I l That is soooooo cute.

What can I say about the gardens that has not already been said. I love the work you girls have done-thanks. You must have good help!

Theresa

• User
    10 years ago

Enchanting as expected!
    Theresa, you noticed the line dancing too.....cute!
    And you know, I love the way fences and tree trunks are used for mirrors and other hangings. Makes it an outdoor room in many ways.

I tried an old door mirror on the fence once, intended to give the feel of a pathway continuing through the greenery. But one day I heard this repeated banging and followed the sound, to find a female cardinal attacking her image in the mirror. I turned it face to the fence to save her life. With the number of birds, including cardinals which are very territorial, I'd be hearing bang bang bang all day long. I'll try a small one first. And you know, I have TWO just right for the job.

You are always an inspiration.

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

How inspirational thanks for sharing!

• mctavish6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your kind comments. I feel lucky to be some part of all three gardens.

gogirlterri - so... you spotted Judy, Faye and I dancing under Wheee. Ha!! I do feel like those little pigs when I'm in the garden. As far as having help goes, yes we do all have a little help. Judy has some from me at least once a year. Her husband is not interested in the garden but will occasionally agree to jobs if they are clearly outlined and done in order. He want's a list to work by which is hard to do when you tend to wander around in a daze most of the time. Faye's hubby is very willing and has assets like a working truck, friends with manure and tractor/backhoe things. Would that be nice! He's a very kind, generous man and often comes up here with his equipment to help Mike (my hubby) with jobs. We are sadly lacking in any useful equipment other than buckets and wheelbarrows. Faye does most of the hard work herself, removing lawn, all planting, watering etc. Mike is also not a gardener but a very happy builder. He has added decks, build the wall when we took down the picket fence (I did the finishing) build wooden planting areas and even helped with the occasional rock. He always has many projects on the go in various stages of completion. It all helps.

Mocc, Judy is always adding mirrors. She brightens up all her shady corners with them. She brought the red sunburst one back from here last year. She got me to put up a few in my garden last summer. My problem is they get dirty so fast with our hard water.

• indymom76
    10 years ago

Wow wow wow!! Wonderful garden! I really love the "pop" the blue and red have with the hosta!

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Thank you very much for posting all these pictures of this garden. Perhaps all this relatively warm rain leads to the large size of hostas there. Bernd

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

I love the red in the garden, very dramatic. How does she water all of those pots? By hand?

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

You are all truly an inspiration. You should be to everyone, but at least to us. All of your work has resulted in nothing total beauty

You are truly amazing women! What you have done inspires me.

Theresa

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

I had a bit of trouble sleeping tonight so I got up, made a cup of tea and sat down at the puter. I didn't see these posts the other day. . and what a miss that would have been! These are such beautiful expressions of a gardeners heart. . .Oh my, what a lovely time I had tonight walking through each one. Thank you for sharing them!

• irawon
    10 years ago

What a beautiful collection of hostas in all three gardens. I like the use of red and blue and mirrors too. Very inviting.