Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

I picked out a small hosta to order from Hallson's!

brandys_garden
10 years ago

While looking at Rainbows End (very cute but very much like my Mama Mia, just the opposite in coloring) I saw one above it that is just STUNNING! Radiant Star! I went ahead and put it in my cart. So it will be small and it will probably stay a patio baby for years to come! It won't be very big and it's a slow grower but still stunning at the same time so I won't have to keep putting it in a bigger pot. So far my order is Irish Luck and Radiant Star for sure... I am still thinking on June or Touch of Class.

Comments (14)

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 23:39

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Brandy, my dear, you're teasing us with poor June! By the time you send that order you'll have half of us trying to send you divisions of June by force! ;-)

I know how it is, though...so many lovely leaves, what's a gal to do? I think it's a great idea to look at the smaller varieties, since they'll be much more willing pot dwellers. Just keep grabbing up what "speaks to you." :)

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL!! June and Touch of Class are very beautiful, in the pictures. The ones I saw weren't too spectacular in person though... I know, I know, June needs time to mature to WOW. Touch of Class is pretty but I don't know... I just don't know??? This is my LAST order of the season for sure. Any more and I won't have the room to put anymore on next year. We'll see. All of mine have been very happy in pots. Even my HUGE Albomarginata. That's not what concerns me. I just want them all to be different and unique as possible so they stand out... Each and every one. Perhaps I shouldn't say anything until the order is completed? I am probably driving people on here crazy!!!

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I had a garden club visiting for about 2 1/2 hours on Friday. There are roughly 800 cultivars in my garden. There were three that got the most "what is that?!"s...
    1 June
    2 Victory (mammoth!)
    3 Touch of Class

you definitely should have both. They would both make it into my "If you could only have 10 hostas..." list. Though I like Rainbow's End, and Mama Mia is fine, and I have a special spot in my hear for Radiant Star... I wouldn't put any of them in the same category as June and TOC.

I'm reserving judgment on Irish Luck. Since I really haven't been acquiring many of the newer hostas for the past 3 years, I haven't seen it, much less grown it. Pictures look great!

I wouldn't have thought to put Rainbow's End and Mama Mia in the same sentence. MM is a nice, light-margined plant of pretty typical hosta colors. I don't grow Rainbow's End (yet) but the young plants I've seen and the pictures are of very bright colors with really strong contrasts accentuated by the shininess of the leaves. Add in the streaking and the red scape... its a real looker. I've always been tempted, then passed... because it is a sport of Obsession and I had very very bad luck with Obsession.

Ordering Radiant Star from Hallson's is a great idea. He found the sport (from Radiant Edger) and we followed its development and naming on his forum. Eventually he made an agreement with a well-known hosta retailer to put it into tissue culture. So you are ordering from the real source of Radiant Star.

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

Rainbows End and Mama Mia are most certainly not anything alike!

Mama Mia is edge variegated and bumpy and matte. Cream & Green
    Rainbows End is streaked and smooth and shiny. Green & Chartreuse.

I like RE way better than Mama Mia... hard statement since my daughter is named Mia.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually, the way it is looking I am only going to be ordering the Irish Luck. It's the only one that I really, really, absolutely want... And it would be perfect in the spot I have cleared for it. Since they send a bonus, I also have a spot cleared for it. But the smaller one, I don't have a place for it right now on the patio. So I am hoping that whatever it is is a little more sun tolerant... It won't get much more sun than some of the others but just a little more. That way, the displays won't be too crowded and it'll look more spaced so I can add more pretty garden fairies if I want!

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So to be clear... I will not be ordering June, Touch of Class, Devil's Advocate, Rainbows End, or Radiant Star at this time. If one of them happens to be my bonus, that would be awesome, though. ;-)

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Brandy you are exhausting....lol. Good planting on your Irish Luck.

Paul

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

Is that a hint for Chris? :)

Hallson's is very generous to be providing a bonus plant with a $12 hosta order. My experience in Canada is that bonus plants are only offered when spending a minimum $100.

Irish Luck is a beautiful plant and will be a nice addition to your collection.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hippieindenial, that is so rude. No it was no hint. What does it matter?

Paul, I'm just not saying anything on this until it's here. I find it interesting that I'm being pushed into buying hostas that spark no interest in me.... As "Must haves"... Well, everyone has their own opinion is my thoughts on this. And what be "must haves" to some may be generic and silly to others. It'll be in MY garden, for MY enjoyment... So I might as well get the ones I really want and not just what everybody thinks. I appreciate the thoughts and input but it's like some of you take it way too far and too personally that I don't get the ones you think I should get. This isn't just for you.... Others are extremely pushy on here. I think I only thought about ordering June because so many pushed it. It's not one that I am particularly thrilled about. I've seen a 1000 pictures. It's pretty yes, but not something I am dying to have. I'm sorry that upsets some. I am just being honest. I'm glad you and others LOVE it. That's great. But it's my money and I'm the one paying for it and putting it in my garden. I happen to think Irish Luck will add something unique to my hosta garden, you can agree or not, those out there... But it is my choice ultimately.

I'll post pictures when the order comes in.

• irawon
    10 years ago

Yes, it's your choice BUT you are also trying everyone's patience. Don't ask for opinions, if you don't want the opinions you get.

Edited for grammatical error

This post was edited by irawon on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 20:20

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Brandy, I don't care if you pick June or not. Pick what makes you happy. I offered an opinion about June in one of your threads as this is what people do on a forum. Sorry if you see this as pushy. You have a collection that is starting out and limited in space, if posters make a suggestion - take it as a complement that they took 10 minutes out of their day to offer their experiences with you.

Paul

• esther_b
    10 years ago

Here is Rainbow's End, planted earlier this year. It is absolutely beautiful and I love it. Got it at Made in the Shade.

The picture at Made in the Shade's website that made me fall in love:

When I first got it:

A picture taken after the rain. The beautiful golden yellow streaks in the leaves really don't adequately show up in this picture.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just looked at my electric bill and I am probably not going to be able to do even the Irish Luck (just one hosta right now.) This saddens me... But, I got to take care of bills and priorities first. I am sorry if I seemed snappy earlier, I am beyond stressed out right now. Doing the online part of my Advanced Algebra homework and studying for a super hard test tomorrow. A test he says few people actually pass! So I am beyond stressed and NOT in a good mood at all. So anything I say now, may not come out right at all! I'll wait until after the test is over! Good evening!