Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kate1970_gw

Bridgewood Gardens Open House= some gorgeous new hosts!

Kate1970
9 years ago

I happened upon an older thread mentioning Bridgewoods Gardens being located in Northern Virginia. I searched and found out they are only an hour away from my home. As luck would have it they have 2 open houses a year. The first this weekend and the second is the weekend of June 21& June 22. Being a hosta hoarder, I was in the car with a packed lunch and on the road by 11am. Bridgewood Gardens did not disappoint. Allthough the owner Chick told me I had to go home by 5 pm. :) I think he saw the pure hosta addition gleam in my eye when I spied Rainbows End.

Chick graciously gave me a tour of the hosta's that he's working on that are not yet for sale. He was gracious enough to allow me to photograph his beauties. At one point I was ready to start offering first born children for a few that are 'still in the works'!

It was about this time that I knew my wallet was in trouble.

I will own this hosta one day! I cropped out the name's of the ones that have not yet been released to the public. It kinda felt like apple just showed me the blue prints for the iPhone 6. ;P Not to sure what the etiquette is about that so I'd rather be cautious then be a jerk. :)

Another in the works.

I tried to use the Jedi Mind Trick to get this one!

I need a 12 step stat.

The last Lakeside Dragonfly begged me to take her with me. I HAD to oblige.

I picked up Candy Dish, but I'm going back for Irish Luck!

Still on my list, no idea why I didn't buy it today. Seducer

I saw a large version of Penny Lane that was not for sale and I was powerless. This beauty came home with me as well.

Had to have Gypsy Rose to go with my Snake Eyes and Striptease & Risky Business. Haven't met a sport of Striptease that I haven't loved immediately yet.

Have heard mixed reviews on Ghost Spirit but it was so pretty I'm going to give it a try.

I thought about this one the entire ride home, last night and this morning. I'm so going back, totally addicted!

Picked up another Neptune

Be interested to hear if anyone has any experience with this one Kisuji. It didn't make me ooohhh and ahhh but its interesting in it own right. Or so I think.

Korean Snow has been on my list awhile.

Mountain Mist, would love to hear if anyone else has this one. I've heard it can be picky about the location its planted it. This guy will go in a pot and get moved around until he seems happy.

Rainbows End, I think I fist pumped when I saw this one! It feels like a fat leaf, melty fat leaf and I love it. (Does that make sense?)

The Razors Edge (please forgive my horrible photography skills)

Dance with Me

Dancing Queen!!! :)

Also picked up Bridegroom, Lakeside Kaleidoscope. Here's a family portrait. :)

Didn't buy Jaws but I thought it was cute.

Another cutie that is still on my list.

And lastly this awesome epimedium, I have never seen such a tall variety!

If you're still with me thanks for looking, if you have any experience or pictures of your grown up versions of my newbies, I would love to see them.

On the way home I had to stop and pick up some more media at a local garden center and had to pick this up as well. Ha!!!

Thanks for looking!

Kate

This post was edited by Kate1970 on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 22:06

Comments (18)

• Kate1970
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Dang it, will have to fix photos in the am. Its well past my bedtime.

• User
    9 years ago

Hi Kate, we have all done something like that one time or another. ;)
    I will wait . In bed on tablet, need some beauty rest here.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

please use the HTML codes ..

on preview.. if you see them we wills see them ...

you the EDIT post feature to change them in your original post

please... i have never seen bridgewood

ken

• jadie88
    9 years ago

I went over there a few weeks ago...great place. Also, for anyone in the area, this next open house weekend will be their LAST public opening ever. I'm on their newsletter list, and Chick announced they won't be holding them anymore. So get 'em while you can! :)

I ordered from Bridgewood last year, and at the time I was happy but figured I would stick with field grown over pot grown for size purposes. However, this spring every one of my Bridgewood hostas leaped out of the ground double the size they came. And they were so dad gum easy to just loosen up and plunk in the ground, so that's another plus.

• w3csx
    9 years ago

Kate,

I must have just missed you. I arrived about 2:30. Chick told me the same about going home at 5pm. Although did add if we didn't listen we had to buy him dinner. hahaha

Here is my haul:
    L-R
    Kinbotan
    Garnet Prince
    Tea and Crumpets
    Cold Heart
    Short Fat Fannie
    LS Beach Bum
    Vim and Vigor

• hostasmith
    9 years ago

copy and paste the links, it is worth it!

• User
    9 years ago

Well, I'm glad someone else has Short Fat Fannie. I really like it. Such a cutie, keeps on going. I got it in 2012. It is OS since it has never been tissue cultured.

Sorry about the holes in the leaves. It's a war zone down here.

Here are more I got from them both in 2012 and this year.
    Sugar Babe fragrant 2012

My big Squash Casserole back in 2012 March when it first arrived. They ship in pots, by the way.

and on June 2 2014

and some 2012 hosta this year, longissima, Golden Tiara, and Angel From Montgomery left to right

This photo shows Sweet Bo Peep, Invincible, and Fragrant Bouquet this April 2014. All are fragrant ordered in 2012.

This year I ordered 4 Verna Jean and 4 Purple Passions plus Delta Desire. All reasonably priced
    Verna Jean surrounding The Razor's Edge

Purple Passion will have the purple flowers before long
    Taken May 29 2014

Delta Desire has a certain ....aura...cannot quite put my finger on it.... love the look...new this year...taken May 29 2014

and then Braveheart. It was in 2012 my most expensive purchase. Loved the shiny dark green leaves. It was badly potted and now is recovering. Poor baby. Look at those holes. Taken May 13 2014 needs a new school picture

Fortunei Hyacinthina from Bridgewood was darker of leaf than the one I got from another source. This is from April 2014

And that's all. :)

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 11:51

• jan_on zone 5b
    9 years ago

Hi Kate
    I am envious of your list, and of the space you obviously have for planting. Looking forward to the pics!
    Jan

• Kate1970
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally got the pictures fixed!

Jan don't be jealous of my space it was all heinous hardened clay 3 years ago, its still a work in progress. A lot of these cuties may be potted up as my husband just announced we may be moving. He works for the government and they move us around quite a bit.

W3CSX you did just miss me! How funny Chick told you that you'd have to buy him dinner. When he told me I'd have to leave by 5 I offered to buy them dinner if I could stay longer!

moccasin, I have remorse for not buying squash casserole now and that brave heart is sure gorgeous!

Thanks for the warm welcome, I plan to be Blocking The Exits, posting Blues Brothers clips and setting up bleachers. :P Allthough I think I'm going to call them stadium seating! :)

This post was edited by Kate1970 on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 9:09

• Kate1970
    Original Author
    9 years ago

moccasinlanding I love the pot with feet!!!! Ha! Just caught that!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

I tried to use the Jedi Mind Trick to get this one!

==>>> you made me spit coffee on the screen ... lol ...

and i like the martha BURN!!!!!

thx for the pic of the operation ... all that is left is an actual pic of the chick ...

what a haul ...

i am surprised you didnt leave at dawn ... like the blues brothers .. whats this 11am all about.. lol.. its like you waited until the hottest time of day ... to go walk in greenhouses ...

thx

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: i tried googling chick at bridgewood gardens... what the heck is this link all about.. lol...

• Kate1970
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'am surprised you didnt leave at dawn ... like the blues brothers .. whats this 11am all about.. lol.. its like you waited until the hottest time of day ... to go walk in greenhouses ...'

Ken I was up at dawn, but I was plotting you see. Plus I've worked in greenhouses for several years, the heat doesn't really phase me anymore especially when there are plants in them that I want. I am an auditor for an insurance company. What this means is my office is my car. So I was up at dawn removing my mobile office from the car under the cover of darkness. See my husband knows that the trunk of my car is only empty for dirt or new hostas. Seeing as I just bought a ton of dirt, I knew he'd be skeptical. The next step was waiting for him to leave the house lol. He left around 10:58 to run errands and I skulked out at 11 with an empty trunk and a slightly maddened gleam in my eye as the prospects of what I might be able to find at Bridgewood.

I keep a hosta mad money plant stash, each week I squirrel away money to have a few spring fever plant purchases. When it stops raining (if it ever does) I'll post a separate link with my Hallson's order. My poor husband only knows about Hallson's, he has yet to discover my Bridgewood haul. Maybe it shouldn't stop raining after all! LOL

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Glad I stopped back after pics got fixed...looks like you had a fun shopping day. Congrats on your new additions. How long are you gonna wait for the ones that got away? ;-)

Paul

• User
    9 years ago

Hey Kate it is a good thing sometimes when the DH thinks you are not organized. I keep moving pots around myself, and mention that some are "gift" plants I wasn't expecting, and when some from HLibrary Auction arrive, I say "now who could this be sending me something!" Not that he objects, it is more he chortles and guffaws and guesses how many there are now. And, he loves to walk among them early in the mornings. He's given up on 400 and went straight to 500. Which is at least temporarily in the right ballpark. I'm gaining on Gesila, who is my role model!

I believe you have come to the right place to find kindred spirits in the hosta garden. :) Thanks for doing the picture HTML code.

About Irish Luck. You simply MUST get it because it looks great AND it is fragrant to boot. Ruffled and shiny green. I bought it for the name since my DH is as Irish as they come.
    Taken May 29 2014

I also have Short Fat Fanny which is not tissue culture as the catalog said not doing that. Division of the plant. It is OS. Then SugarBabe is according to Bob Solberg the smallest fragrant hosta, and I got mine from Chick mail order too.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Hey Mocc, be careful, your DH might read your postings when you sleep, and there goes your allowance for a week... (Only kidding)
    Bernd

• Eleven
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for posting these pics! You got some beautiful hosta :) I know we're all jealous! I actually placed an order with them last fall and have Penny Lane. I had planned to use it for a donation at a hosta swap later the summer, but I want to keep the longer I have it. Here's a pic of it arriving last fall.

• User
    9 years ago

Bernd, I really do have an allowance--how did you guess? It keeps me in mulch and pots and mix and a wee few hosta on occasion too. ;) DH enjoys my/our hosta too. HE cannot believe they are doing as well as they are.

• Kate1970
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Then its settled, must have Irish Luck!!!! Half the plants I own have been *cough* gifts. Or so my DH's thinks. :) So now that I've found THES (The Hosta's Enablers Society). Where's the 12 step program? :)