Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weekendweeder

What are your bluest blues in mid June?

weekendweeder
10 years ago

About half of these are new in my garden and I'm quite pleased with the color addition.

Silver Bay, kind of a minty blue:

Blueberry Muffin with pink petioles:

Prairie Sky:

Fragrant Blue:

Winfield Blue, still small in its second yr (by Paradigm and Tokudama Aureonebulosa):

Hadspen Blue and Halcyon in their second year:

What are your bluest blues this time of year?

Comments (35)

• summersunlight
    10 years ago

Halcyon has always been good about holding onto its blue for me.
    I don't have any other solid blues, but I just ordered a Blueberry Muffin based on the positive reviews it seems to has. Glad that it sounds like you're happy with the Muffin.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Beautiful blues....I have several, and tomorrow A.M., if there is enough sun before I have to leave for work, I'll take some updated pics. Great thread, I hope you get lots of pics for this subject.

Regards,
    Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

My Halcyon lost a lot of its blue the last week or so. If I have a general view of my blue hosta display area, I'll post the whole she-bang.

I'm really surprised that my Fragrant Blue, which is holding its color very well, has a flower head already in bloom. My Fragrant Blue Ribbons, sitting next to it, still has no white margin and also has no scape...but it is also holding its blue.

Then there's Silver Bay....doing good here too

And of course, Blue Hawaii....rough leaves and all, it is staying true blue when most around it are turning....green, I suppose.

Astral Bliss and Awakening Angel, which I keep side by side for comparisons, are also holding the blue

Here is my Lederhosen. There are two identified as that, although only the one on the LEFT was purchased as a Lederhosen. The NOID was supposed to be something else, which did not show up. This is the second year it is different from the left one. Any suggestions for its alternate ID will be appreciated. They both came from Plant Delights in 2010 in my very FIRST hosta mail order.

• User
    10 years ago

I don't know what your NOID is Moc, but it's a very pretty blue for sure :-)

Salute is holding it's blue.

Deb

• User
    10 years ago

It's hard (for me) to get the blue to come out in photos....I've been waiting for others to post their pics...

Here is Prairie Sky with her flower scape.

Deb

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Fragrant Blue

And Blue Jay

tj

• brandys_garden
    10 years ago

My fragrant blue seems a little "bluer" than my blue mouse ears so I am posting it.

• User
    10 years ago

Blue Hawaii with flower scape.

Deb

• User
    10 years ago

Halcyon

Deb

• hostanista
    10 years ago

The blue of Elegans is really noticeable next to a baby Striptease.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Abiqua Drinking Gourd only in its 2nd season, in dappled shade all day.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Can't go wrong with Halcyon for blue...

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Empress Wu is looking quite blue. (2nd year).

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Abiqua Blue Crinkles. Got this one last year. I am rather liking it.

{{!gwi}}

• weekendweeder
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome pics, everyone! It's been a long day and it was nice to return to this thread to see everyone's blues. It occurs to me that having grass or other green-leaved plants in photos of blue hosta give a nice frame of reference and make them pop.

• User
    10 years ago

I agree, WW.
    When I was a kid, my two favorite crayons were the slightly darker than sky blue, and chartreuse. All my coloring books had clothing painted those colors.

I'll show this picture from early last year just because it has a blue and a bright apple green one together for the contrast. Along about here is when I got enslaved to hosta!
    My weed whacker must have just passed by.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Some really lovely blues in this post. Blue Jay is lovely. Awakening Blue, I really like the leaves on that one, Elegans, ABG and Halcyon look blue. Sometimes, it is so difficult to capture the hosta's true colour with the camera. Hmm I will post that conundrum in another post.

Paula

• tepelus
    10 years ago

Don't know if it's my bluest, but my Prairie Sky is very blue this year. Many of my blues are more blue this year than last year. The picture of my PS doesn't do justice as to how blue it is. Even my neighbor, who isn't much of a plant person, pointed it out from all of my other hostas saying she really liked it, and that was when it hadn't even become all that blue yet.

Karen

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Karen, Prairie Sky looks great! It really helps show the blue with seeing the contrasting yellow behind it.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Blue Haired Lady is a great blue on this new plant. Love the blues too

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Abiqua Blue Crinkles.

• weekendweeder
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ooh! I can't wait till my Prairie Sky starts to show its cupping. So nice, Karen.

And, newhostalady, I hope you post more photos of your ABC as it matures.

mocc, I must have had hosta on my mind because I realized that my outfit yesterday was navy blue and chartreuse!

• esox48
    10 years ago

A few on the bluish side.

Fragrant Blue

{{gwi:1047942}}

Paradigm/Blue Hawaii cross.

{{gwi:1047943}}

Halcyon with a volunteer peeking in from above.

Sun Power OP

• Lee
    10 years ago

Camelot next to Janet

• Eleven
    10 years ago

Big Daddy, still doing its best to not grow but looking quite blue this spring.

• Eleven
    10 years ago

Krossa Regal

• Eleven
    10 years ago

El Nino

• Eleven
    10 years ago

Actually, lots of my blue hostas are still quite blue this year. Nice side effect of the cool spring. Most of the ones in the back half of this pic are blue. I need to get new pics this weekend of just 'Blue Angel' and her entourage.

• Lee
    10 years ago

Queen Of The Sea

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Wow, Camelot is intense!
    My bluest is Halcyon

• weekendweeder
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lots of great photos today! Queen of the Sea is splendid! Wish I had that one. Blue, upright, and rippled!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Hadspen Blue'.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Silver Bay' is looking pretty good.

Don B.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

While it's nice,seeing all those blues,in mid June,all my blues are more like greens. With all the rain,and being as how my hostas have been up since March,there's not too many blue ones any more,but if I had to pick one,it would my Sieboldiana elegans types. Some of them in deep shade still look pretty good. Also,I have a Blue Boy which still looks pretty blue. Phil

• weekendweeder
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is interesting, Phil. None of my elegans look blue to me, even early in the season and in shade. I've wondered why they look bluer and prettier in other people's gardens. ABG is another that never looks as blue as any of the ones I posted above.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida