Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
12 - 17 inches of rain???

Posted by moccasinlanding z9A AL (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 23:25

Well, I knew it was raining a lot. And I took a few pictures of a few containers which were about 16 to 18 inches deep, and they were full. I thought it would never stop. But then, I did not have to get out in it like I did once when it rained 15 inches and I drove to work in it.

Would you say "gully washer" or "frog strangler" or "raining cats and dogs?"

I know it started some time yesterday to pour, and I suppose it continued all last night and most of the day. I went out once to take a picture of some plantaginea green babies, and sank into the muddy grass over the top of my feet. Eeewwww!!!

So here we go:
Birds hungry at the all night/day diner partly sheltered
The all-day rain drove the birds to this more sheltered feeder.

Pot has a hole in bottom, so some rain slowly trickled out I guess
Today's rainfall between 12 -17 inches?

Part of a new overflow fountain had a waterfall flowing out the side...Just about 10 inches deep here
Rainfall today had excess flowing out the spout

And this plastic soft bucket sitting in the middle of the open area of the driveway, holding down the tarp covering my load of soil and bark, it is 18 inches deep...
guess the water is that deep almost. We live between the bay and the river, at the edge of the river delta and at 22 feet elevation we are the highest land around.
Container out in the open collected rainfall today

Won't be watering anything tomorrow. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 12 - 17 inches of rain???

Lemme see, if all of the other Hosta zones grabbed an inch of it, wouldn't we all be happy?

hh

You WOULD share, eh?

o

Of course, HH, my cup runneth over...... :)

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 0:26

We only get about 9-12" in a whole year here. Yipes!!!
Stand back and watch the hostas grow.

-Babka

o

WOW!

o

She is sharing ... my way! I to have gotten an abundance of rain and the hostas are loving it. I use a free draining soil mix in my pots and so far all is good. Second flush is on here in full force. I am so excited. Have a great grow day, Paula

o

I wish you would send at least 1 inch with no hail/ storms to St. Louis. I am tired of watering flowers/grass. I dont think we got an inch this month or last month.

o

I read in the Hosta Journal that hostas look for 70 inches of rain in a growing season, so they got around 20% in one night. The creeks in your neighborhood must look good now, I like to look at fast water around rocks. Any alligators between your hostas now?

o

We had a day with about 5" last week. The thing I noticed especially is that Ann Kulpa was standing more upright, and she's always been kind of flat. I think it finally washed most of the honeydew from the aphids.

bkay

o

It rained again all night, and stopped for a while. I went out to check on things, and a big limb from the neighbor's rotten sweetgum tree (they rot from the inside) had fallen across my fence, and was hanging like a tent over some of the hosta containers.

I moved all of those, with muck over my foots, and started nibbling away at the big branch. Once I get it light and short on MY side, I'll let it drop back into their yard. I sure cannot drag that 6 inch diameter--or more, I cannot see the end size where it broke--into my yard. I doubt they will even see it since no yard work done there to keep shrubbery in bounds. As long as it stays over THERE, I don't care. Overgrowth gives me a bit more shade. Just no rotten limbs falling on my hosta please.

The forecast calls for t-storms thru Friday, don't know the weather afterward. But high humidity, it felt like 200% when I was outside. Like a goldfish, breathing underwater, sweat in my eyes, salty, blinding sweat.

The sun is out at this moment, but really high cumulonimbus clouds are moving around in the unsettled winds.

Incidentally, I had to lay boards on the ground to have a place to stand while I lopped and chopped and sawed the small branches off the big fallen piece of sweetgum tree.
But trash day is tomorrow, if I can get it hauled to the street before morning.

o

Maybe you should get a rowboat just in case...

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here