Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

Guardian Angel...meh....

hostanista
9 years ago

It's only been in the ground 1 year but so far the feeling I'm getting from Guardian Angel is just......meh. I know I must be patient but again...meh.

Please show off your mature GA's and tell me I have no reason to be on the fence about this one.

Comments (22)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

'Meh' is a pretty good discription of immature GA's, but they get better. A lot better, in my opinion. Got mine in 2012, and I thought, 'Meh'. Now I look at it and think, 'Hmmm...'. Not a bad plant, mine still has some growing to do. They have a very open, almost sprawling habit that isn't for everyone. For me, the variegation really floats my boat. : )

Cheers,
    Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Hope yours gets to where you like it more, Hostanista.

Don B.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Saw a couple of very nice GA on garden tours....this one was huge and beautiful.

Paul

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

I have seen a large one in deep shade that was a very dark two tone.. it had a sort of classy subtle look to it when raised in a very shaded area.

I like plants that are unique, and I do think as youngsters it is unique.. but it gets a higher quality look as it ages.

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

Mine is 5 years old and finally moving on from 'meh' into a-meh-zing! ha! See what I did there?

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

I have 3 back in the Ravine area and the rabbits like one and it will take forever to get any size (a lesser hosta would be dead) and the other two are not worth the walk down to take a picture either. 1 1/2 years old from very small liners that went right into the ground in Fall. Says something about being tough; I suppose..

Jon

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

I saw this Guardian Angel in a private garden tour. It was in a shaded location so it is not as compact as the one that Paul took a picture of. I thought it was unique in its coloring and shape.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I have never heard the expression "meh". I'm assuming it means something like mediocre? Huh?

-Babka

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Yes Babka,

Meh to me means unimpressed, bored, unhappy with a situation, place, thing or in this case a plant.

My 'meh' hosta is Liberty. I can hear the gasps and outcries of sacrilege as I type this! :P

GA is still on my list as the name has a special meaning to me.

This post was edited by Kate1970 on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 16:10

• hostanista
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kate's exactly right: unimpressed is a perfect definition of "meh". Hard to believe your Liberty is meh!!

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

No hosta recommended so strongly by Ken can be "meh".

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

.....GASP!!!!!!......

Don B.

• junco1102
    9 years ago

My Guardian Angel is about five years old. It's color has never been as good as Angel Eyes, but It is a nice looking hosta

• junco1102
    9 years ago

This photo is from last year.

• User
    9 years ago

GA has special meaning to me too, like Kate, and I want to grow a fine one. Mine is not looking typical but I'm willing to wait a while for it to show itself.

I located mine with Golden Meadows because of the stitched margins. So far mine shows none, and neither has Embroidery shown any. But Golden Meadows finally got them this year.

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Well Hostanista, the masochist in me just ordered a GA to go with an existing order I was about to place. Please be sure to point and snicker at my 'meh GA' thread next year.

Being that moccasinlanding has it with Golden Meadows and I happen to have a Golden Meadows well; I have no willpower and probably require some sort of Hosta OCD treatment.

This post was edited by Kate1970 on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 8:40

• hostanista
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh Kate, you are a weak, weak woman.....(when it comes to hostas of course) ;-)

and aren't we all....

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Kate, this ain't the forum to find willpower against getting more hostas...This is the enabling forum... : )

We are here to help you (get more hostas)...

Don B.

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Don I don't think I can afford to 'hang' with you guys! LOL

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

It's among the very slowest in our shade area but I know of only one other one quite like it so it stays.

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Leaf

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

LOL I can't afford to hang with us, either!

Don B.