Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

I really don't remember planting this!

mosswitch
10 years ago

Somewhere in the middle of all that ginger that I've been ripping out, was a Blue Dolphin hosta that I sure don't remember planting! No idea where I got it, or when, I planted it! It had a nursery tag with the name on it, but not one of my labels. Judging from the size, I think I must have planted it last fall........while drinking liberally or something, lol! It isn't in any of my lists, either. Like Christmas in the garden, a present for me!

Sandy

Comments (16)

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

They say sometimes when the moon is high, and the tides are still.. the magic blue Dolphin descends from the clouds and plants Hosta in its name...

This post was edited by leafwatcher on Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 1:26

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

How delightful! After drinking liberally I don't always get such fun surprises. That Christmas in the the garden works for me. Love those surprises!

-Babka

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Leafwatcher, I love it!

Sandy

• coll_123
    10 years ago

LOL, Leafwatcher!

• irawon
    10 years ago

Leafwather, tomorrow i won't remember posting this. My senior moments are getting more frequent. Just keep having fun with your hostas. That's what keeps us young... our passion for hostas.

• irawon
    10 years ago

Oops, the previous message was intended for mosswitch but I do appreciate leafwatcher's eloquence.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Leafwatcher, are you smoking your Lowe's 'Dream Queen' again??

Don B.

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

Wasn't Blue Dolphin one you picked up last fall during the Shady Oaks sale? That was pretty late in the year and I bought some too and had to put the TCs straight into the ground but they actually lived for me too :)

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are right, Chris! It is on the list of Shady Oaks plants, but I sure didn't remember planting that one!

Actually we (me) potted up all the Shady Oaks liners last fall, and every one of them came up strong and healthy this spring. The ones I planted in the ground all have done very well, also. I only lost one and that was because I planted it in the wrong spot and it got covered up by the wild ginger. So we will probably do the same thing this year. I'm beginning to be a big advocate of fall planting!

Sandy

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Sandy, after what the squirrels did to my potted hostas this past winter I am a big advocate of fall planting also. How much feed corn can I buy for $60: that is what I figure it cost me to feed them hostas.

It looks like they are going to have plenty walnuts next winter.

I Love it when I pull weeds and find an open seeded hosta growing in them. It is one of the things I love about them.

Theresa

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

It is a challenge to see what you got. I removed all hosta markers to simplify cleanup, but have a map on Excel. I lost at least 5 last winter plus some seedlings from last year for which I had hope for. I will start soon to plant new seedlings, have a bunch of streakers. It looks like too many hostas. Bernd

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

What fun!

Now, I need to remember to sit out in the garden on June 23rd to catch sight of the magic Blue Dolphin. If I believe, will he come?

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, and he will bring fireflies with him to light his way!

Sandy

• User
    10 years ago

I love the magic Blue Dolphin. A whole group of believers waiting for the magic to arrive in the garden.

I have fireflies now...already....and I was very surprised by them. I hope they are not the bugs nestled in the grass during the day that my two doxie girls are nosing around and catching. Lovely memories of plentiful fireflies of a summers eve and we'd catch them in a fruit jar.

Leafwatcher, save the Dream Queen and move to Colorado where you have access to the real thing.....let us know if what you see looks the same.

I got a real Surprise this week. (H. 'Surprise')

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

Remember to be quiet when seeking the Blue Dolphin, because he can be below, only needing to rise for air briefly, and then he is gone.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Ha, Blue Dolphin!
    We will stay at a Blue Dolphin Inn in Cape Cod in vacation soon.