Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Talk about a smart phone!

User
9 years ago

I apologize for being absent almost all day today. I am consumed by the capabilities of this new Smartphone I got earlier this week.

Now that most of my accounts are set up, I am playing with the camera tonight. Too late for outdoor photos, but I'm taking shots of my hands etc. And also of the hosta slideshow on my screensaver.

This high mp camera has an additional MODE called SOUND & SHOT--it really has a lot of potential in a garden situation. Of course, they thought it would be applied to a beach shot with sound of the surf. I press the shutter button, the photo begins processing, and I have up to 9 seconds opportunity to record "background sound" with the picture. How neat is that?

I'm testing it indoors tonight. Not much ambient sound to contend with. But I got it to work. First shot I stuttered, could NOT speak for love nor money. I said THREE hosta names in 9 seconds or less, big success, and realized it is going to be a life saver.

This small sound bit of information can do the job of recording the HOSTA NAME, which I then add as a tag word to a photo before uploading or transferring to my main hosta files. I'm assuming the picture format is JPG or convertible to JPG or WMV or MPG which is acceptable to photo services such as Flickr. Small matter to check it out.

I hope this is a sign that software for cameras will soon include voice recognition of text for captions and titles of photos. How convenient if imbedded in the original file.

I got the Samsung Galaxy S5 and this SOUND & SHOT MODE is a free download at their website. Now it is added to the phone's regular camera "modes" which seemed pretty scanty to me. It will be quite useful for my hosta photos.

I think technology is wonderful. I'm glad that I found something to help ID all my pictures..We'll soon see how well the lens of the Galaxy S5 performs with hosta in the garden.

Comments (14)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Kids and their toys! lol. Isn't it fun, Mocc? I bet it takes great pics and will certainly help you out a great deal. Enjoy your new toy!

Here is a picture of a mature Squash Casserole I saw on Tuesday... I was so entranced by the size of it and all the beautiful display gardens, I forgot to take a picture for you. This comes to you compliments of Giboshihill Hostas in Cobourg, Ontario, Canada...
    Jut for you! :-)

Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: Top Gun thread ..have you seen it :-)?

This post was edited by josephines67 on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 1:13

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jo, it is in shade and still golden. Talk about a beautiful hosta....I hope you are growing one also? It started looking great for me last year, you remember. Then this year it sort of stretched out and became a real golden swan. I'm keeping mine up as high as I can to make the dratted slugs work for any bite they get. Squash Casserole and Yesterday's Memories and Key Lime Pie, sports of SC, are three I keep my eye on this year. Such a joy to see them. It lifts my spirits and I work that much harder to see if ALL the ones I have can be like them.

My powerhouse of golds includes SC and YM ....sigh.....
    Thanks for the picture from Giboshihill.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

I bought a smart phone 6 months ago. I don't think its working. I don't feel any smarter yet.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Told you you'd love the S5!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Know the feeling, Jonnyboy. I'm hoping this one will exercise my brain somewhat.

Also I checked the format of the photo with the spoken/sound recording info on it. It is JPG format. So I am experimenting today. Out I go a little late this morning but ready for what comes.

Here is my test file which I took with the phone, off my computer screen. I could hear the recording but did not hear it after sending it to Flickr. However for my purposes simply hearing the name in order to "tag" the photo and not have to change any formatting to upload, means mission accomplished.

Picture of Carnival damaged in shipping, taken off my computer screen last night.

Hmmm, looks like I must adjust some setting to get display on here to be a larger than thumbnail photo. Click it to see a larger one.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Mocc, you can use an app like Flickfolio and your pics will be instantly uploaded to Flickr as you take them with no effort from you! That is what I do, then I just go back through later and tag them in Flickr. I think that's the most awesome feature for me.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I don't think that paper is a good idea for shipping. It sucks all the moisture out of the leaves. I'm not sure of a better solution, but that one seems to be lacking.

bk

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BK, were you commenting about the paper wrapping for Carnival? It was wrapped in uncoated paper on arrival, all the others were wrapped in it without any damage. I haven't figured out what caused the cooked spinach look. It has two small new leaves growing on it as of this morning. I know it will make it, just hope it isn't tiny. I have enough like that.

Funn, I have FlickFolio which is the only app working with Flickr these days. The one built into PaintShopPro X6 quit working for whatever reason after they updated the software. So I use the online Flickr uploader after I put all the proper tags to each photo. I either add tags using PSPx6 or Windows Live Photo Gallery for names and tags.
    I have so many photos on my computer it helps to have the tags on the originals before I do a backup.

The photo format is still JPG but the audio must increase the file size of the JPG. As long as people can click the thumbnail and see the big picture, it will work until I find a solution to that issue. One thing at a time, patience is a virtue, although it would be nice to have it RIGHT NOW. :)

Yes indeed, I like the phone. However, I will not be using the ISIS wallet. I don't like all those people dipping into my pocketbook.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

mocc .... yup, you can ALMOST hear them pushing out of the ground with that new app ...

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bragu, that might be me breathing heavy. I realized after I made some uploads to Flickr that the audio added to the photo comes out as a mp4 and not a jpg image. However, if I go back to the camera I can choose to format it as jpg (without audio) and will do that in order to post photo to GWeb.

That leaves me with a dilemma. I was counting on keeping note of the plant names via audio and must make two efforts. I'll keep the video/audio format and the JPG format since my computer has a huge harddrive. And I will do the name tags twice. Ah the price of obsessive compulsive naming and indexing! If like NORMAL gardeners who put their plants in the ground in ONE SPOT, I'd remember where each one resided. Not many hosta pick up and move in the dead of night, unless there is a plant thief loose in the neighborhood. It would not take long (even with 500) to remember where each one lived.

For now, if you want to see what it looks and sounds like as a mp4 file, visit my Flickr album and the new uploads are the first ones you'll encounter. Some of them have first couple of syllables clipped off, but the printed hosta names are now included....I just added them tonight. I'll upload the JPG form of the pictures here as time goes by, according to appropriate threads.

Nothing is as simple as it should be I suppose.
    I checked and the camera has two files for the same photo. Same number, different file type at the end.

I hope Funn sees this about the camera.

Woohoo. My file was rejected by GWeb photo uploader because it was LARGER THAN 5000 KB. Guess I'll go to Flickr and upload it there first to resize. Another interesting adjustment to make before sharing pictures.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now I'll try to do a JPG HTML again.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

H. 'Fair Maiden'

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Squash Casserole today

and now I'll try Guacamole again

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Yeah,I've seen some of the photos taken,here on the forum. Sideways,upside-down and backwards! I don't think they will ever take the place of a REAL camera! Can't people tell when they post a pic,if their pics are right side up,or not? My cell phone is a "dumb phone"! It can make phone calls,or receive them,and that's all I need one for! I will stick to my Nikon,thank you! I worked for the telephone company for 33 years,so I guess that's why I feel that way. It was back before cell phones were invented,and all there was was mobile phones,or pagers. Just MHO.Phil