Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta 'First Frost'

Posted by hostahillbilly Zone 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 23:39

FirstFrost2012-06-17_20-42-08_711

This was an HOTY, recently.

For us, it's been a very slow grower.

That being said, here's one that is 'at the edge' of the pine forest, so gets a lot of 'northern light'.

The thing that always gets me is that when I'm cruzin' the garden at dusk, jamming to music on my bluetooth headset from my fone, this plant always 'glows' right into o'dark thirty:
FirstFrost2012-06-17_20-42-08_711

Yep, a slow poke, but an after dark glow may make it worthwhile . . .

hh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta 'First Frost'

i love my first frost... when it gets big... its going into some deeper shade... I'm missing its yellow edge atm
John

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 8:26

Mine is new this spring, but it was in a holding pot for a couple months so the margin has already whitened.

o

Just replaced it for the third time. Hope this one makes it.

o

What a good size on your FF, hostabilly (yours too, eleven). Have you grown it long in the pot? The bleeding hearts accent it nicely too.

o

Love, love, love my First Frost! I just moved it this year from a secluded garden, to a garden right next to my patio. Now I can see it every day.
Photobucket

Wendy

o

wow wendy... you should send that picture to the library.. perfection
John

o

Thanks John! Like HostaHillbilly says, this plant actually seems to glow at dusk. You can't take your eyes off of it.
It makes me happy :)

o

This is a sport I divided out of a FF this spring. Interesting to see if it keeps that green center stripe next year. A friend had his FF sport gold also, but not with the green center.

Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here