Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
photo Great Expectations

Posted by paula_b_gardener 5a (Uxbridge, ON) (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 23:46

We arrived home after a weekend away (without Internet!) and the first thing that I did was 'tour' the gardens. I know that GE is quite particular about its home and I am fortunate enough to have a location that GE likes.

It has been in this location for 5 summers this year and it has just started to reach maturity; I think that it is so beautiful.

Great Expectation 15JUN14 photo IMG_4710.jpg
Great Expectations 15JUN14 leaf photo IMG_4712.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: photo Great Expectations

Gorgeous!! I keep hesitating getting one because everyone seems to think it's difficult. You're doing something right there!

Now go to bed for heaven's sake Paula, it's almost midnight!

o

• Posted by mbug 6 NJ (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 23:59

That is a great one!! Very nice to come home to!

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 0:02

Out here on the West Coast it is early...just past twilight. 3 hrs after the East Coast..

I'm on my 4th GE. It is such a beautiful one so I keep trying. I can do Fire and Ice big time, but not GE.

-Babka

o

Hostanista and mbug, thanks. Hostanista it is midnight and why are 'you' still not in bed! lol

Babka, I really like Fire & Ice, too. This is the second summer for mine.
Fire & Ice photo FireandIce.jpg

o

Move to zone 5 ! I think that is the key....I am tempted to repost my last Great x pics.. but feel guilty when I have already twice...

o

Thanks Paula for showing us your GE. I agree that you have a beautiful plant. It is at maturity when the coloring and corrugation are at their best. Enjoy!

o

'Nista, you live in the zone that GE likes so you shouldn't have any problems.

Just to be safe though... don't plant too deep, give her lots of water and morning sun.

o

GE is so strange. I planted two next to each other last year. They were tiny when I planted them. One is doing well and about 10 inches across. The other, planted at the same time and same size, is probably SMALLER than it was last year. Picky things, I can't figure them out. I almost weeded the small one by accident one day too. But I'm holding out hope because that picture above is gorgeous.

o

Paula, a nice looking GE is always sweet to see....interesting that we feel we are lucky if one grows well for us. I've lost lot of other perennials that others can grow...so conditions are important. So far, some sun and good watering have benefited GE in my garden. An older one in shade has grown slowwwwwwly and is just starting to show promise, while the newer one has leaped past the older one and shown growth each year.
Hosta 'Great Expectations' (2)(08&11)-1

Paul

o

I've had pretty good luck with GE myself, Not much eye growth but the leave have been getting bigger and better every year.

2 years ago the whole plant was smaller than 1 leaf this year.

o

My biggest and best Great Expectation.............

photo 2014-06-17001001_zps55e97757.jpg

photo 2014-06-17001004_zpsa368222a.jpg

.........which gets just a little less sun than my other 3 year old.

photo 2014-06-17001002_zps7e7dd86c.jpg

....and my Fire and Ice, which has struggled and may be catching hold.

photo a6f762df-e69c-4dcc-af54-d09eb68fcd61_zps26ffc35b.jpg
Jon

o

I'm so glad I have two new ones because my three-old this year didn't like being potted last year. It gained some additional small eyes from last year but is very slowwwwww. A little leafed out eye came apart in my hand this morning so up it comes again to see what's going on underneath. It's only been there maybe three weeks? Groan.

The two new ones are going back under the peony, where the older one was very happy exposed to sun from sunrise to after lunch. I'll just have to stay on top of dead-heading the peony flowers before the petals fall all over GE.

Good example of "don't fix what's not broken".

o

Here it is from last year...so lovely and of course quite a bit lighter due to light.

All the pictures posted so far have really captured the beauty of Great Expectations. No matter what zone it's grown in, no matter the variations in colour, this hosta is a stand-out in any garden. I am just like all of you who have had to replace, or buy multiples of this plant - it has to be present in my garden.

o

Bought my GE in 2012 with two tiny leave and although it hasn't grown large it still is alive and in hiding now because every other has grown twice as fast. Afraid to move it with all the negative things said about it being hard to grow and all so just may have to move something else if it gets crowded out

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here