Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mctavish6

three Hosta Gardens - Garden 3

mctavish6
10 years ago

Garden 3 is My Garden

Faye and I live probably less than ½ mile apart on the same hill. Both of our acreages face west and look over Shuswap Lake. In spite of that there are a lot of differences in our gardening conditions. Her property is open and has fairly flat fields. They grow hay and graze donkeys. They have a huge lawn (ever shrinking). Their large trees are a Willow and Silver Cottonwood. Her soil is clay. Mine is more sloped with rocks and very large Cedar and Fir trees right up to the house on one side. There’s a huge Walnut on the other. Our soil is sandy which means daily watering in hot weather. My lawn is very tiny and also shrinking. Pretty soon I’ll be lucky if I can fit a chair on it.

My challenges are the same as many of you with slugs, voles, cut worm and tree roots. My gardening style is pretty much make it up as you go along and learn by your mistakes. I see it as a painting and am always moving things around. I have lived here for 23 years and started with a typical perennial garden- It was English cottage style with a picket fence and lots of flowers. As the trees grew and I began to appreciate foliage it changed to being more and more hostas. I fit them in between the surviving perennials and bushes. I never have enough room and tend to always plant too close together knowing I’ll have to ‘fix’ it someday. That’s ok with me since the gardens always look full which I prefer.

As the space has become an issue I really try to plant ‘up’. There are many levels to the garden and if two things get too crowed I lift one up higher with rocks, wood, whatever.
My biggest garden advantage beside automatic watering (essential) is probably the variety of places I can plant. They all have their own personality and most have a place to sit and enjoy them. The lawn, the driveway, the courtyard, the balcony, the woods the pool each is different but all have hostas. I'm am going to try to show picture of each. Most of the pictures are from this year with the exception of the Balcony and Pool. I'm still working there and haven't taken many.

This is the first year I have added very few plants. I’m trying to deal with what I have for now. As old age fast approaches I need to get this easier!

I have added a new rockery for mini’s and re-worked some older places. It is really a labor of love.

Hope you like the pictures,

Myrle

Comments (30)

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't know how anyone, or thing, can follow this... I still can't even believe its real.

Its like a dream made into reality.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

On my, look at the size of your Niagara Falls this year. You have a wonderful talent! Your property is breath taking. I think you need to publish a book.

How do you remember where all of your hostas are?

Gesila

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Wow Myrle. I never realized you were going to such an extensive amount of work getting all the pictures together and a detailed description of every area of Judy's garden, My garden and then your garden too. Thank you so much for this labour of love, it is so much appreciated and I am very proud to call you my friend.

Gesila , Myrle knows what every hosta is, where every hosta is in every area and as the many, many times I ask "what is this and what is that "she leads me through the gardens, tells me their names( over and over) and shows what one looks like in the sun and then the same in the shade. She knows how big they get right down to where they came from. It is such an inspiration and such a privelige to have her as a teacher.
    Her Niagara Falls is not fully open yet and is the largest I have ever seen. The largest leaf was measured today is 20 x 14 inches and a lot of others are17 or 18 by11 or 12 . Wonderful job Myrle .. thank you so very much!
    Faye

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

Always beautiful and inspiring! Thanks for sharing. It's just amazing!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Amazing, McTavish. Thanks so much, I could (and will) probably spend a large block of time admiring all these awesome photos. As far as I'm concerned, people can never, ever post too many pictures on this forum. Fantastic, beautiful images. You're a landscape artist.

Thanks Again!
    Don B.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tour. Your gardens are beautiful.

Paul

• hostafrenzy
    10 years ago

Vacation every day, gorgeous setting and artful beds - bravo to you!

Are you in zone 6? I'm in 6B and I'm potaphobic for some reason. After seeing how beautiful potted hosta work in your space, I'm tempted to give it a try.

Where do you store your pots over the winter? Do you bring all pots and containers in (I'm exhausted thinking about it, lol)? Do you do any other special preparations for winter? I'd greatly appreciate if you could advise me what your winter routine entails. Thanks so much!

• becky_ia
    10 years ago

AMAZING, STUNNING, AWESOME, WOW FACTOR. I agree with everything said here. Never too many pictures and so fun to see how others garden with their hosta. Do you have any idea how many different hosta you have? I thought I had a lot with over 400, but I am sure you have twice that many. Thank you for sharing.

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

What a treat for a Monday morning! Thanks for all three posts.

Inquiring minds want to know how long it takes to do a round of watering during heat waves.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Myrle-as always FANTASTIC. I always view your posts and have come to recognize some of your hostas as if they are my friends. Thank you. Do you have time to actually swim in your lovely pool, with all the work just to maintain your gardens?

Theresa

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Wow- you've created your own slice of heaven on earth. I enjoyed the photos so much - simply spectacular! Jealous of your garden in the woods - mine would be the salad buffet in the woods.

• Lee
    10 years ago

Wow.... All 3 gardens... Amazing!!!!

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

A slice of serenity. Who needs to meditate when they are surrounded by such peaceful beauty? Thank for the gift of your pictures this morning, you made my day. WW

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Just totally speechless. Wonderful, amazing, gorgeous, all those words.All three of them.

Sandy

• User
    10 years ago

Myrle, your garden exploded into my world this morning. How could I have missed this treat until now? I was showing all the pictures to my DH, who has a more routine definition of gardens, and he was most impressed. The fact that yours WORKS is helping me push the boundaries here. Thank you so very very much.

Now, where are the OTHER TWO GARDENS? How could I have missed them as well? I'm assuming you have already revealed Faye's and Judy's and held yours to the last? I see my morning computer session won't end until I view those as well.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Myrle,fantastic,as usual! I have always admired your gardens,and could never duplicate them here on the side of my 'mountain'. You and Judy have the ideal growing conditions for growing. It's hard to believe that you and Faye have such different kinds of soil being so close to each other! Down here,it is red clay,and that's all there is. We don't have a choice. You have done a lot of work with your property,and it shows. I have only been doing hostas for ten years,but I don't have near the time left in this world as some of you all. Thanks for the tours! Phil

• esther_b
    10 years ago

Holy hostas, that is spectacular! Love the setting, the hostas, and the CAT. Is that a Maine Coon? I have one, a tortie and white love sponge.

• irawon
    10 years ago

Wow! What an awesome setting for your beautiful creation!
    You've inspired me to get out there and move a few things around.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tour of your gardens. I loved all three. Thank your sister and reallyhooked for me too for letting (getting) you to take the pictures.

Beverly

• mctavish6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am very glad you Hosta friends have enjoyed the garden visits. After seeing Judy's plants open and Faye's coming along so well I had to share them all and hope it inspired you and gave you some ideas.

Gesila- I do remember where nearly all my hostas are and their names. Sometimes one escapes me for a few minutes. The weird thing is that I pretty much remember where all Judy and Faye's plants are also. Now if I could only remember to wear my clothes right side out and matching shoes I'd be fine.

hostafrenzy- we are listed in zone 6 but that's wrong. I call my zone 4/5. That is based on what does not do well here. Tea Roses that are hardy in zone 5 dwindle and fade away. I love hydrangeas and have had one since I moved here. I lives but only occasionally get through the winter and with surviving buds. This year will be one of them and I'm delighted. Pots are tricky here. It's the spring freeze/thaw cycle that gets them. For years I moved them all (often over 100) into the unheated garage and they did fine. One fall was very wet when they finally went away. The next spring I lost over 60 to rot. Since then I've reduced the number in pots, paid more attention to loose soil especially around the crown and tried to have a backup piece of each plant in the ground. At the very least have them under a deck or against a north wall and tip them over. Try to keep them dry.

becky_ia - I don't know exactly until the fall and I factor in the losses but I have roughly over 800 plants with 650 different varieties.

weekendweeder- With sandy soil I often have to water every day. There is no way I could do it without a water system. It is automatic and comes on at night. I give different areas 1 to 3 hours. The pool which is drippers is sometimes left on for days at a time. Thankfully I have a well that has, so far, never run dry.

gogirlterri- You bet I swim in the pool, every day as soon as it's above 65 (no heater). I love the sun and spending every afternoon down there is my vacation. I head down between 1 and 3 and stay until 6 or 7. I read a lot and putter especially now that the hostas are down there as well.

Phil- Hopefully you have lots of time on your beautiful mountain. Faye's father gardened well into his 90's or maybe it was when he was 100? I'm sure loving our gardens keeps us going.

esther_b- That cat is Bo. He looks like a Maine Coon to me too but is not larger than an average male cat. He's a love. He is my last cat now. I've lost 4 in the last three years. Three of them to old age. It's very sad. Some day I will probably get more but Bo is sure enjoying being in charge.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    10 years ago

Myrle,

I spent a lot of time (which I do not have with work, kids, house, dog, and hostas.....) going through the pictures again and again and again, for all 3 gardens. They are so beautiful with individual personality coming out of each garden very obvisouly. So inspirational. I now saved them as my favorites and will learn from your experience as I continue with my journey as a new gardener.

Thanks again for sharing.
    Vivian

• hostafrenzy
    10 years ago

Thank you for your time in answering my inquiry.

I think part of the beauty of your gardens is the manner in which you use lifts and levels for display, adds so much interest. Once again, your garden(s) are lovely...thank you so much for sharing!

• shade_tolerant
    10 years ago

McT I have really enjoyed viewing all three gardens, all three truly labors of love and just stunning!

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Thank you showing your own garden and beautiful landscape again. I also enjoy your h.'Niagara Falls', mine is too young. Bernd

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to show us the gardens. Your home, garden, location are all amazing and you have truly created your own oasis.

Paula

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    6 years ago

So this is what Hosta Heaven looks like.

• Eleven
    6 years ago

Myrle has always been my hero, even from before GW when I first saw her pics on DG.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    6 years ago

Idyllic!

• teuth
    6 years ago

Thanks for the tour mctavish, your pics and posts are some of my favourites. I can definitely relate to this:

> I never have enough room and tend to always plant too close together knowing I’ll have to ‘fix’ it someday.

Not so much to the daily watering + automatic watering though! Maybe in another property/life.

My family used to have a cottage on the Shuswap, lots of fond memories from around there. I also recall how hot and dry it can be!