Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this really Jewel of the Nile?

Posted by paula_b_gardener 5a (Uxbridge, ON) (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 23:46

I took a peek at the Hosta Library and my Jewel of the Nile doesn't look that any of those. What do you think?

Jewel of the NIle photo JeweloftheNile.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this really Jewel of the Nile?

Here is the comparison photo for 2013/2014
 photo JeweloftheNile13-14.jpg

o

Paula, your hosta is beautiful. i'd like one like that.

Here's my JOTN. Could the difference in colour and leaf size be attributed to the amount of light they get? Yours looks as though it gets some sun. Just a thought. Your leaves are smaller and more profuse. Mine was planted in 2010, in part shade under a pine tree.

o

Thank you. It was planted in 2009, mine is on the east side of the house and it gets sun from about 8-noon.

o

Hi Paula - I bought JOTN last year. I think it's taking its time developing the gold due to the late spring. Mine looks very similar. I put it out in the sun the other day to see if it colours up faster. This is from days ago. I'm looking forward to more colour like yours, Irawon!

o

this is mine from 2012
JOTN photo 8f219eba.jpg

and this year
 photo IMG_6320.jpg

o

Love the look, Melati! I specifically bought mine for the anomalies and reversion, lol.

o

Love Jewel of the Nile; planted mine year before last. It's a great grower, but this year one very large division reverted completely back to its parent, Dee's Golden Jewel. :( Is this permanent, or is there a good chance next year it'll come back up with random green/gold markings again?

o

melati, that sure is a beauty!

o

Hosta takeover, I don't think so, once it reverts, it continues that way...but mine is only a year old and I'm not familiar with its habit yet. It is taking its sweet time developing the gold but at least it's working on it! Lol
Hopefully someone sees your question and can answer it for you.

o

PaulaB, I thought I'd post a recent (today) photo of JOTN as it looks now. The golden margin is definitely pronounced now compared to June 12th pic. IM LOVING the colour of soft blue/grey/green and the leaf substance on this hosta.

How is yours looking lately?

Irawon? Your beauty must be even more beautiful? Anyone else have a pic just waiting to be posted? Please and thank you?

o

A leaf shot.

o

I'm not familiar with JOTN, but after seeing all these great pics I have to have one! Is there a cure to hostaitis? Let's hope not.

o

LOL! Nope, no cure! LOL. But you are in good company! :-)

o

Definitely NO cure.

I decided to go straight to the reverted hosta, skip worrying about JOTN and got Dee's Golden Jewel.

Here it is on 7/7/14.
20140707_190944

o

Lol, good thinking, Mocc! :-)

I have decided to love it in whatever colour combination it is happy to present itself! I want a hosta where every leaf is different from the others just for the fun of it! I'm hoping mine tries to revert, someday..sooner or later..whatever. Love surprises. Have enough of the "expected" - ready for the unexpected...
:-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here