Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pciture Day!

Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 23:50

Yeah, I have Picture Day in my garden :) I usually aim for once a week, but it mostly happens after I finish weeding a bed or moving plants. The on rainy days (weeks) like now, I have time to organize. So here are a few recent pics of the hosta beds for your viewing interest! Then I go back to organizing images.

My newest and bluest hosta bed:
 photo BackleftBluehostabed2014-0616-01.jpg

And the hostas from the back side of the same bed as seen from the driveway:
 photo BackleftBluehostabed2014-0616-03.jpg

The main hosta bed that I first revamped:
 photo BackrightMainhostabed2014-0609-01.jpg

The second hosta bed that began as temp overflow:
 photo BackleftSecondaryhostabed2014-0616-01.jpg

Hosta point, my sunniest bed:
 photo BackrightHostapoint2014-0603.jpg

A newer bed up front, beneath a white dogwood:
 photo FrontleftDogwoodbed2014-0611.jpg

And the newest bed, up front next to the sidewalk:
 photo FrontrightBorderbed2014-0611-01.jpg

The same front bed as seen from further back:
 photo FrontrightBorderbed2014-0611-02.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pciture Day!

Eleven, what a fantastic perfection you have there! I see no lawn in front.....oh my what a perfect planting spot you found by removing the grass. The yellow ground cover softens the dove brown/gray of the retaining wall, perfect color in both cases. Beautifully done. Love the tall canopy of threes.

o

Outstanding, Eleven! Love your interpretation of what a 'lawn' can be. Your property looks fantastic.

Don B.

P.S. Real curious, the plant in the protective cage; What is that? Must be a critter favorite, I'm guessing.

o

I love blue hostas but never thought to put them together like that. Really nice look. All your hosta beds are looking great! Thanks for sharing.

o

All incredible pics! However the blue bed is my absolute fave!! Working on a blue and white hosta section myself. It is very cooling to look at. Thanks for the inspiration!

o

Hmmm, I think I need to organize my beds differently. Yours look wonderful! I agree with the others about your blues bed. I also have very little grass at this point, so time to clean up the beds once we are out of school on Wednesday.

Thanks for sharing!

Cynthia

o

finally.. a garden where i can say... who needs grass ... lol ..

i barely see any left... congrats ...

now sell the mower.. and use the money for more hosta ...

where are you.. i am in adrian ... your z6 suggests metro detroit.. or south west coast????

ken

o

Lovely gardens! I envy your space. Glad to see that tree roots are not a problem for you. Thanks for sharing your photos!

o

I can almost feel the cool, damp air as I peruse your beautiful gardens. Love your use of those large, smooth rocks. Just lovely!

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 14:55

Mocc, thanks for the compliments :) My husband was a little unhappy when I told him my plan to yank all the grass, but the stuff doesn't grow anyway... Too much shade from the tree canopy. Our grass is 1/3 moss, 1/3 weeds, and 1/3 struggling grass.

Don, the cages are for the Asiatic lilies. I had a family of rabbits eat them every year for the last 5 years. Plus my hepatica, asters, Oriental lilies, mums, and some hostas. This year the rabbits suddenly disappeared a few weeks ago (after a first wave of vandalism), but I'm still cautious. And I was right to be; I saw a new bunny exploring my yard just this morning!

Sandy, nutmeg, and cyn, I like the way all the blue hostas look so different when they're next to each other. You can kind of see in the pic of the second hosta bed that the back hostas are all blue too. I circled Blue Angel with other blue hostas.

Ken, I'm in Royal Oak. And I still have grass (the mix of moss, grass, and weeds previously mentioned) in the central places. I'm still working on getting rid of it. Since there's only one of me, I hope the yards will all be done in about 10 years.

Newhostalady, oh I still have issues with tree roots. The dogwood, second hosta bed, and a couple crabapple beds not shown all have stunted plants at one time or another. The blue hostas shown from the driveway have all been dug up, tree roots removed, and replanted at least once. In some places like that I keep trying, in other places I remove the tree (that bed used to be covered by a pine tree until last fall), or I plant the hosta in a sunken pot. The pot is my newest plan. I have some problem areas that had big masses or Erromena or Undulata but where my new hostas struggle. So I'm trying to grow them larger before letting them battle the tree roots directly.

HostaTakeover, I was very lucky that all those stones came with the garden. I just had to move some around to line the new beds. Soon I will need to buy more (and I'll probably cry at the price).

o

Love what you've done. There's a new development going in that I pass on my way to work. I drove around one day and saw all the rocks they were unearthing so I asked the guy running the bulldozer if I could have a few. He said I could take all I wanted. That's all I needed to hear. I've filled the back of my little SUV at least 5 times. Got any construction going on around you? Give it a shot. WW

o

Nice gardens, one persone, I'm impressed. Thanks for sharing.

o

• Posted by mbug 6 NJ (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 22:35

Outstanding gardens. Love the rocks. I try to use them as much as I can.
Thanks for sharing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here