Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta Spring....

Posted by paul_in_mn 4b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 23:55

....hard to believe they weren't sprung enough for pictures till June. Still some stretching to do, about time.

Adorable - sport of Royal Standard, some growth from last year, but may have to move to more sun to see if it has another gear.
Hosta 'Adorable' (10)-003

Antioch - a couple of flirty leaves
Hosta 'Antioch' (10)-003

Blue Arrow - one of my early hosta and a favorite. Still stretching out and blue is coming....one of my best for holding the blue color.
Hosta 'Blue Arrow' (05)-002

Captain's Adventure - sport of Captain Kirk, drawstring is not as severe this year....maybe due to late spring. Next leaves will not have drawstring and margin color never catches up to first flush of leaves. So plant will have white margin early leaves and dark margin on later.....sort of like having Fire Opal and Gold Standard on the same plant.
Hosta 'Captain's Adventure' (11)-001

Fire Opal - sport of Gold Standard (identical or close enough to Moonlight), good grower, still not all spread out yet - may get too big for where I have it sited.
Hosta 'Fire Opal' (10)-001

Hi Ho Silver - Juries out whether it can keep looking good long into summer.
Hosta 'Hi Ho Silver' (11)-001

Ice Cream (gift from Melissa) - so good when you don't kill a gift hosta. Sport of Vanilla Cream.
Hosta 'Ice Cream' (Melissa)(2)(11)-002

Just June - No not just June, but a sport of June called Just June, but it looks a bit like June with a wide margin, of course isn't that what Touch of Class is.....confused yet. Growing in quite a bit of shade and so far smaller than June, but who knows maybe in more light.....;-)
Hosta 'Just June' (11)-003

Justine - sport of June Fever, moved it to some sun last year and seems happier.
Hosta 'Justine' (10)-002

Long Fellow - folded long leaves when it matures, so far puts up a lot of leaves for the number of divisions.
Hosta 'Long Fellow' (12)-001

Sergeant Pepper - muted colors, the deer liked it too......grrrrr
Hosta 'Sergeant Pepper' (10)-003

Spring Fling - gotta love this one.....ummm
Hosta 'Spring Fling' (08)-001

Thanks for taking a look.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta Spring....

pAUL, i LIKE the way you described Captain's Adventure. I think you are a better observer than I. It sure does look good to me.

Spring Fling has intense blue in the middle of the soft green, and it puts Cold Heart to shame for that. Soft colors are some of my favorite things.

Ice Cream always make me hungry for some reason. Ah dear, time for a midnight snack. Just a few minutes early.

o

Love Adorable! Has similar attributes of Guacamole (to my eye). Happy to see another appreciator of Antioch. This hosta can take a lot of sun and still look "cool".

Captain's Adventure must be ideally sited, Paul to show such lovely markings.

As seems to be your trademark, you have another bevy of beauties in your hostas. Always a joy to see your pictures. Thank you for sharing. :-)
Jo

o

Great pics, Paul.

Don B.

o

Nice pix and nice commentary. Thanks.

tj

o

Lovely photos and I am like you and thinking mine still have more to grow but I am beginning to wonder. Like them all but Sgt Pepper made me stop and look longer. :)
Cher

o

Paul, I took more than one look...is that OK? Some hostas here I've never seen... I like being exposed to new ones. That fern in front of Fire Opal is the same color but different texture...I like the effect.

o

Mid-season pic of Spring Fling
Hosta 'Spring Fling' (08)-002

Paul

o

Cant get enough of the pics from your garden. Just beautiful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here