Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafwatcher

Repost question.. ANYONE have Deja Blue showing the white line?

leafwatcher
10 years ago

Sorry that should have been DEJA BLU above .......
This always comes up, usually later in the year. Those of us with this plant no why we bought it.. that ONE sweet picture with the white line in the leaf.. Every year we hope it shows up...

Lets hear about it if anyone gets there, heaven knows we haven't seen many/any more examples of it.

This post was edited by leafwatcher on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 23:57

Comments (14)

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

I've seen it at the same nursery in back to back years with the line - they had plants in a hoop house with shade cloth - so got quite a bit of light.

In my garden Deja Blu in a pretty shady spot and does not show the white line. Pic below is the year I planted it and was close. Purple Haze is in similar spot and does not get the purple.

Paul

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

No white line on mine, but when I got it the reference book said it would take years to get the mature coloration. I just assumed it would show up about 2017 or so.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

I've been leaning down, and squinting, and putting on my glasses, and TRYING to imagine a white line, but I really have to admit there isn't one. Oh well. Maybe next year. If I was at all adept with photoshop........
    Jan

• kalija
    10 years ago

I read that it needs a lot of light to get the line, so I moved mine early this spring to spot with more sun. Like Jan I have been down on the ground squinting at it several times - but nothing. Sigh.

• Lee
    10 years ago

I'm not seeing white line on my DB too.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I'm wondering about time of season as well. My Toy Soldier doesn't show the third color line until later into summer... and some years more than others as well... I never saw the line on my Deja Blu and I quit even looking for it...

• irawon
    10 years ago

With white line or none i still think this hosta is gorgeous. I haven't seen a white line on mine yet. Melati, your DB is incredible. Way to go. You seem to be doing everything right.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

In shaded picture you can see an inner line, though definitely not white. Not as easy to see in brighter light.

Paul

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would say you are getting closer to it than any other plant we have shared on this site.. maybe it does just take a decade or so ;)

• coll_123
    10 years ago

I know what you mean about that "one photograph" that sells a plant. And then you buy the plant and find that it's really not as advertised. I feel that way about Candy Dish. It's ok, but doens't live up to its description or glamour shot that sold me on it.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

One photograph... What about the shots of the originator with Empress Wu? Those pictures solds thousands of plants! For me, Komodo Dragon is faster and will probably be just as large, if maybe not quite as tall... but the leaves have character... I might be the only person in hostadom who keeps looking at EW and saying "homely."

Chopped up my Toy Soldier today and a few leaves are showing a little of the third color. I'll have to wander down to Deja Blu one of these days and see if anything is happening.

I keep getting saved from having to process and post photos... Paul has all the good ones I have - and great photos... I can just leave it up to him for the most part...

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Idiothe, you just made me feel better! I have put Empress Wu in my cart a few times, only to bump her out with a different selection...

I love the giants, so you'd think EW would be at the top of my list, but I haven't had that "Gotta have it!" moment. Besides, my kids have a corner of the yard dedicated to giant Colocasia, so growing something JUST for the big leaves is passé around here. :) The next giant on the wish list for now is Key West.

I did just order Kimodo Dragon on the Gilbert Wild sale, so I'm looking forward to it! Very happy to hear its a strong grower.

• Lee
    10 years ago

I looked at my Deja Blu again this afternoon and took a pic... can you actually see the white line in this pic? its showing some kind of lighter color lines now.

• tepelus
    10 years ago

Here's mine, the first one from the end of May, the last two from the end of July:

It's trying to get that white line, but in the process losing all of its blue. Mine isn't a very big plant and I have it growing in a pot this year due to lack of room in the ground. At least I can move it around the deck; on hot days into the shade, on cooler days into the sun, right along with the rest of them.

Karen