Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonypumpkin

New addition Guardian Angel

tonypumpkin
9 years ago

Very excited to find a nice sized Guardian Angel with what looks to be good colour. Not a cheapy at $25 but I couldn't resist. I've been hearing others rave about this one and I think I have found the perfect spot for it with not too much sun and not too little--all alone at the moment with lots of room to grow. High hopes that it will grow into something impressive in a 4-5 years!

Comments (9)

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

This plant can look so much different plant to plant,spot to spot..

I have seen one that was very mature two tone dark greens and fairly shiny.

They look nice in most any color variation I think.

• User
    9 years ago

Look, I see your Guardian Angel looking so different. And even on the Hosta Library they have two different looks. Mine seems to be a solid color, not magnificent like YOURS is.

Does it go through a transformation? Is mine just young?

I'm hoping this is one blue that will act normal in my climate.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Here's mine. You got a big one to start off, Tony.

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

It was blue so I put it in the shade. Is the difference a result of not much direct sunlight?

Quite a difference.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Mocc, I don't know what that pretty hosta is that you show here, but it is not a GA, IMO. Even a young one would be showing the ripples early on, emerging greenish-white with twisty tips. :-(. You may, or may not have a young Blue Angel? I don't have previous experience growing a BA having just bought a new one this year. Hope someone can ID it for you.

Here is my young one unfurling earlier just for comparison.

Peter, that is a beauty - a great buy for $25! Enjoy it - I am thrilled with my new division!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

mocs is not GA ... maybe blue angel from which it came????

though GA does lose its white center to some extent.. its ALWAYS there .... i dont think it ever goes completely blue....

its like i just typed that GA is a must have in another post.. lol ..

first pic is tough... but does it look like it settled too deep?????

ken

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mocc. . .from the reading I have been doing it would seem that plant is NOT Guardian Angel. Some people saying they can revert to their parent Blue Angel (green) in the wrong light etc., but I think that is a bit of a myth. The best comment I could find was from someone that said they worked with young Guardian Angel plants for years. Their opinion was that the colour could vary greatly. Their advice was to buy the most striking/colorful plant you can find as the colour at immaturity is more indicative of the colour at full maturity. I was particularly struck at the colour of this young one, so I bought it (even though it was the most expensive small hosta at that store by far, it has 3-4 eyes, so it will save me 2 years of growing). I just hope it keeps it's colour and is not overly affected by too much light.

Nice plant Don!

• tonypumpkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Ken. . .if you mean has my plant settled too deep the answer is no. I plant them with a bit of a moat around them so that I can drown them nicely with water a few times if it get's hot and dry. Much easier to water this way. After a year or so they are mostly fine on their own, but a moat is an excellent way to make sure they are getting a good soaking when they've been transplanted.

• User
    9 years ago

Okay, well I guess I have another nOID possibly Blue Angel although the one I have (from Lowes) has a different leaf shape. Well drats!

I know where to order one from, and will have to correct that unexpected doppelganger. Double drats!.

Thanks for the info. I did not know I had a problem.