Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Fire ants in LS Full Tide

User
10 years ago

No picture. I had to essentially bare root Lakeside Full Tide today. Early in the morning, I grabbed it up and took it to the curb with the waterhose. Oh yeah, they got on me, and I have a few bites to show for it. I pulled the nice LS Full Tide out and laid it on the DRIVEWAY (are you listening to this Ken?)

The big fireants had moved into the pot, and I'd discovered it at dark last night. This morning I was ready to deal with it.
But first, I had to wash away all the dirt from the pot, and let the ants and all run down the street drains at the low part of our street....gravity feed.

It was a large pot, and the hosta had grown beautifully in it so far. I saw the long strands of the roots at least 18 inches long, as long as the leaves were tall. LOTS of white ant eggs washing away.. I kept washing and clearing the eggs of the grassy curb line. Finally, I stopped and jammed the plant back into the pot, and headed to the most extreme part of the salvage job.....the fire ant poison...which doesn't kill the ants so easily, but it is serious business when you have other animals around. I do not like to use it where there are also wild birds, because the stuff is granular.
Then I doused the hosta in a large black plastic pot with no holes in it. I poured the fire ant killer into it and oh wow, what looked innocent revealed the final stronghold of the fireants. Hmmm, so I had it contained, it was a me or them situation. So I turned on the water and tried to drown them in the hole-less pot. I stood near with the hose to blast back into the poisonous water the escapees. Then I pulled it out and dosed the roots with the granular dry no water, selected a pot that let its roots extend full length, and began potting it up. I have it watered and set aside for closer look tomorrow before I return it to the garden. It bloomed this year, and set some 4-5 dark green seed pods.

I have high hopes for this fireant problem does not set it back. It seems to grow quick enough to make me happy.

Comments (6)

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

So you had a fire ant nest in your hosta - glad you got the problem under control and your plant is on its way back to good health. Ants have been a real problem this year. I had to have the outside and inside of my house treated for them. Sorry to say, I have a bug phobia. Love butterflies and bees- that's about the extent of it.

DD

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These ants came into the Port of Mobile way back when they still had the banana docks for United Fruit. So we hold the title of introducing fire ants to the country. From here they spread across the southeast. VERY hard to kill them. When we were kids, we called them "piss ants" because they bit the p.... out of you. Then the bite formed a pus-filled sore, got infected, and you had impetigo.....one thing after another. Their tendency to make the sores is not good news for a diabetic like myself.

The ants create a tall mound above the ground, made from the aerated soil of their below ground network of tunnels and chambers. In the case of Lakeside Full Tide, it was way up the petioles. With a lot of rain lately, they were seeking dryer quarters. So this was the biggest pot in the area, and they sure filled up the pot.

This morning the plant looks normal, and no signs of fire ants around it. In a pot, taking the mound out is delicately done, but a lot easier than if the mound is in the garden itself....they just move someplace else! Yesterday I moved adjacent pots far away from that spot, and used the poison in the vicinity, then watered it in where my digging doxies do not find it so easily.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Not sure what you used, Moc, but a fire ant pro on the Garden Clinic Forum (from Alabama) says her favorite fire ant bait is Amdro.

tj

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Thanks for the fire ant intro, need any Emerald Ash Borers?

We'll detour them your way, maybe they'll eat each other.

dave

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll have to introduce my DH to the Garden Clinic Forum. He should be very interested in that side of the forum discussions. I'm thinking Amdro is what I used; it seems to have worked.

LS Full Tide did not wilt at all. I repotted it with its really long roots into a much deeper pot. It had magnificent roots on it. And it had set seed pods as well.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Glad you blasted the nasty little b*st*rds, Mocc. Yup, keep an eye on those bites, needless to say. I hear you, as a fellow diabetic.

Don B.

P.S.: 'Lakeside Full Tide' is a nice-lookin plant. I think I want one. Oooh boy. : )