Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrishow

Moving, splititing and repotting?

chris-e
10 years ago

Hi everyone. I have been home from the hospital for almost a week now after having my left knee replaced, This is not fun and physical therapy must have been invented during the Spanish Inquisition!

My garden is terribly overgrown and I noticed that someone else asked the same kind of question I am asking. I can't really do anything this fall and figured that spring would b a good time to dig the plants while they are small, What do you all think?

The other question is about my knee. It was a total replacement
and I was wondering if any of you have had experience with this and how long it takes to start feeling human again? I know I will just have to watch the weeds take over all fall, or get a weeder ( I am meaning human kind) I am so bummed and it still hurts!

chris

Comments (11)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Can't speak to the knee replacement, but spring will be a fine time to dig. As to weeding, there are a myriad of hoes out there, any of a number of which should suit your needs (and knees).

tj

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I wish you a great recovery. I know a guy who had one knee replaced. He only did ride a lawn mower before and after, no gardening. There must be people for hire who do weeding, but since it is slow it must be expensive.

I had a problem with my right knee, then it was fine again, then I fell on it. After replanting hostas yesterday, I noticed it is not good yet. It seems there will be a time when all borders have to become simple. Those landscape guys seem not to know anything about gardening, especially hostas, know only lawns, pop in bushes and mulch. Perhaps you have to supervise a person doing weeding while you sit.
    Bernd

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

My husband has arthritis in his knee and is in a lot of pain because of it...I have a feeling that knee replacement is somewhere in his future. Our neighbour had his knees done and said it was the best thing he ever did...even did squats in front of me to prove that his mobility has improved greatly. Best of luck to you as you recover.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

My mom had her knee replaced. She said it never hurt as bad afterwards as before. She did her exercises religiously and had a really good outcome. The only thing she doesn't do is go walking on sidewalks or streets, only on tracks.

On the other hand, my neighbor had hers replaced (one a few years after the other). She said she didn't go to rehab, kinda did the exercises on the first one. Then she figured she knew it all on the second one. She can't bend her knees, now.

She's getting really elderly and frail and now has bad balance. If she falls, she can't get up. Imagine trying to get up off the floor if you can't bend your knees.

All that to say don't give up on the "inquisition". It's worth it to do the rehab, even if it's painful. The pain doesn't last forever.

I'm sorry about your yard. It will still be there next spring. I wish you all the best with your rehab.

bk

• User
    10 years ago

Well, in our family, DH's elder brother was a mountain climber/hiker, and wound up with both knees replaced. He did the rehab, of course, because he wanted to continue hiking mountain trails....like the great trails of the Appalachians and just about every major trail everywhere. And he only stopped doing this last year at his wife's insistance, because he is 90.

DO the therapy! You'll be glad you did. If you can get a scuffle hoe, you might be able to just get the weeds while you are standing up. What you cannot get, let a hired hand work on them, if you are a perfectionist. And just in case, use a pre-emergent herbicide to keep new seeds from germinating in your beds. It doesn't take much smarts to tell big fine plants from tiny or bad weeds. And then have some mulch spread to retard the weeds. THAT's a good job for a hired hand.

If you can drive to the store and get the mulch loaded into your vehicle, bring it home and let the hired weeder unload it for you, and apply it to the beds.

There are more ways to kill a cat besides choking it on butter. Good luck....

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Definitely follow the doc's directions exactly and do the rehab/therapy. That will make all the difference!

Love the idea of sitting and directing someone else as he/she weeds. ;)

Cynthia, who is heading out to sit on the ground and weed yet again. Weeding appears to be my life...

• dg
    10 years ago

My DH had right total hip replacement June 4 and has left THR surgery scheduled December 3. So, I have somewhat of an idea about what you are going through.

Right now your job is to let your knee heal. Keeping a positive attitude, a forward thinking mindset and going through with rehab works. Don't be a hero, take the pain meds. Staying on top of the pain will help you get through the first weeks of rehab. Be aware of possible addiction and wean yourself off meds as you get stronger.

You are very early in your recovery. We understand that pain as well as not being able to care for your garden is frustrating. For now, keep up with the rehab! It will take time but things will get better!

I hope it is not against the rules here to recommend a different forum...(it's specific to total hip and knee replacement) called bonesmart.org. They are very, very supportive and extremely active in their posting by folks who have been there, where you are now.

About the weeds:
    If hiring help is too costly or just not feasible, start by closing the blinds on your garden so you don't get distressed every time you pass by it. Your job right now is to heal and strengthen your knee, not worry over your garden.

When you are stronger and more able to, then eradicate the weeds by applying roundup from a garden sprayer. To make the sprayer mobile, attach the (empty) sprayer to a dolly, garden cart, wagon or something similar that is stable. When everything is secure and mobile then it is time to fill the sprayer. Fill the sprayer only 1/2 so it's not too heavy or top heavy to pull around.

I hope at least a little bit of this helps you.
    Look forward to Fall, it is a wonderful time to do things in the garden.
    Best wishes and stay positive!

Deb

Here is a link that might be useful: link to bonesmart

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

My mom had a total knee replacement a year and a half ago. She was 86 years old then. Can't say the recovery was easy. She went to a rehab facility for two weeks after her operation, and then stayed with me for a month. I drove her to physical therapy appointments twice a week (therapist suggestion 3 times a week, but that was too much for mom and me), and I helped her and encouraged her to do the exercises! Other than a successful operation with a great doctor, I think the most important thing is learning the proper exercises and doing them! After supporting my mom through this period, I believe doing the exercises critical in the total success of the knee replacement. After therapy was completed, the surgeon and physical therapist considered my mom's knee mobility to be excellent.

So for my mom I would say it took about two months to really get back on her feet. But I assume that you are younger? I would estimate that for each decade younger that you are, you may take off a week or so. All in all if she could do it, you can do it.

After the surgery is kind of a difficult time when you wonder how long it is going to take before you have mobility and feel like your old self. I think the more you work on those exercises, the quicker you will recover.

I assume that you had knee pain and that is why you had the replacement. You could look forward to no pain or at most minimal discomfort. That is worth all that you will have gone through. Believe it!

Good luck. I would love to hear how you are in a month or two. I suspect that you will be very happy.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

As other's have said .. do your therapy and when you think it is getting really easy , they give you more exercises. I never did the water therapy after my double knee surgery and probably should have too as I suffered a bit longer then my husband . He had double knee replacement too but was up and out of hospital in three days with just a cane and walking up our steep hill in less then three weeks. If anyone that hasn't had replacement and needs it should possibly try prolotherapy first. I had a few sessions and was helping considerably and then they phoned with surgery date and I was afraid of having to wait another year. Pain goes away and now am as good as new . Just think... we can all set the alarms off in any airport with no trouble.

Good luck Chris by next growing season you will have pain free weeding to do!
    Faye

This post was edited by almosthooked on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 15:35

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

My late husband had two knee replacements and my sister had one replacement and I nursed both of them through it. As most have stated, rehab therapy is the key to success. It will take a good six weeks to recover.

DD

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

I can't speak from personal experience,since I am still operating on OEM equipment,but I do know that knee rehab is far more painful than hip replacement. I know a woman who had both knees replaced,at different times,and she had a painful recovery,though she is OK now. My DW has had both hips replaced,at different times,and she has never been better,and the recovery went really well. With hip replacement surgery,they get you up and walking the day after the operation.Good luck with your recovery! Phil