Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Now it's war...another 99 ct store piece of krud found in garden

esther_b
10 years ago

I had just enured myself to the horrible garish pinwheel and tacky "Spring-" and "Garden-" declaring 99 cent store signs stuck by the Chinese neighbor into the beautiful new garden I made, when I spotted another piece of plastic garbage stuck into that hallowed ground. Another pinwheel, all-plastic, half-broken. And behind the beautiful ceramic pot I had so lovingly picked out to highlight my Georgia Peach heuchie, an el-cheapo small flower pot was set, containing what looked like a dead plant and a string replica of a butterfly.

This plot was nothing but clods of clay and weeds for years, and he took no interest in it whatsoever. No pinwheels, no signs, nada. Now that I invested over $200 and hours of backbreaking labor to make this garden what you've all seen in pics previously posted, he has to litter it up with garbage like this.

I got mad.

I plucked the 2nd pinwheel out of the soil (which I bought and installed) and threw it into another neighbor's garbage can. He'll never find it there, bwahahaha.

If I find any additional garbage installed by him, I'll take it to the nearest dumpster. If he opens his mouth, I'll discuss it with the lower-level neighbor. Worst case scenario, I will take the garden apart and find places to plant the hostas and heucheras on my side, as difficult as it will be to find space. I will not leave so much as a spoonful of soil for him to pollute. Then he can stick all the plastic tasteless garbage he wants into it.

Comments (4)

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

You go Esther!
    That has got to be so infuriating. A broken pin wheel at that.
    The building next to me,a guy has decided to garden in the strip along the fence.I loaned him a rake and shovel.
    He planted Christmas cactus and some other houseplants.A beat up looking hosta appeared,from where I am not sure.He is really trying and I appreciate his effort.He did however bring a table down to his backyard and placed a potted plastic!!!!! plant on it.
    No accounting for taste levels.
    I would have done the same thing that you have done.

• User
    10 years ago

Look at it this way, Esther. He might be a hoarder, and you are helping clear out his residence. So you keep eliminating the dime store junk which is contaminating your real garden.

I've seen people put artificial poinsettas around in the winter flower beds, but it is way past time to remove them in July!

If he were to ask what he could contribute to the garden, to show his appreciation for what you've done, what would you tell him to look for? It's possible his motives are good ones, and he wants to be part of the beauty. Since he never did anything with his piece of land, it could be he did not know how to garden.....I suppose there are people like that, but it seems so strange to think of it........

But what would you tell him to get or to do for the garden? Water it? Keep an eye on the decorative pot? Buy a bottle of Osmocote? (or something readily available, because he probably never shopped in a garden center.)

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

what is this world coming to?

dare i mention ... "pink flamingo" art?

don't mean to offend ... but there MAY be a way to incorporate it ... somewhere else

dkB

^_^ --~

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think he is trying to help beautify the garden. He has a 2 yr. old daughter (with his live-in girlfriend). I think this tasteless junk is supposed to be amusements for this kid. He doesn't take her outside and ask her to name the plants or what color they are, or what's her favorite one. Nope. Just sticks this abhorrent junk into the garden. Maybe if enough stuff goes "missing", he will stop??