Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gogirlterri

A Family of Angels

gogirlterri
10 years ago

Followers on GWHF have known Les and I have been caretakers of a garden very near to our heart: Theresa's Angel Garden named for our family 'angel' Theresa: our Great Great Grandmother (my namesake) and also beloved 'Grand' Aunt Tess (Theresa).

On tj's thread I've commented that I would like to have a garden with nothing but Angels; progeny of Blue Angel. I have kept up with the listings in the Hosta Library and AHS. There are so many progeny and the brief listings and commentaries are so 'canned'.

I hope this post incites a long thread of pictures of any and all of the hostas in the Blue Angel family line. Please, please post pictures and comments about any of the family you are growing or have grown. Blue Angel, Guardian Angel, Fallen Angel, Earth Angel; any Angel.

My 3 'Angel' varieties are wonderful, but I am also very prejudicial, as you can see in my above comments. They seem indestructible. Even falling walnuts seem to bounce off of them.

Theresa Ann

This post was edited by gogirlterri on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 1:53

Comments (8)

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

I'm growing Blue Angel, Guardian Angel x 2, Earth Angel x 3, and Devil's Advocate. Not much to see yet since all of them were purchased either late last summer or late the summer before. They all appear to be good growers...except too early to tell about GA as those were new last year. I esp. like Earth Angel as it is quite pretty even as an immature hosta and know that I'm going to love Guardian Angel. Blue Angel & Devil's Advocate don't have much appeal as gangly teenagers.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

My Earth Angel is not particularly photogenic this year. It got the worst of a hail storm this spring. Then the following week high winds sent twigs, javelin like at its large leaves. I will post anyway and get this back to the top of the page.

-Beverly

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

My original Blue Angel

tj

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Terri,

If I were collecting Angels I would consider this one. This is Fallen Angel from one of the 2011 Tour gardens. It's a sport of Guardian Angel and it tends to change color through the season like it's parent. I don't know why it isn't grown more.

Steve

• old_lady
    10 years ago

Here is my Guardian Angel, I think it looks great this year!

• User
    10 years ago

Old Lady, I agree! Your Guardian is beautiful and dramatic. I like the shading of all the leaves, old and new.

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Terri...here's a companion for your special garden
    Heuchera Snow Angel

Here it is keeping company with GA

• gogirlterri
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh-thank you, thank you and thank you all. I have kept looking at Fallen Angel and not decided yet. My young Earth Angel and GA are beginning to show off this season. I think they will take off when moved to the Theresa's Angel Garden next year. There is still room under the original Walnut shade, plus the 5 new feet of spread. Seeing the pics of Earth Angel here on my thread, and seeing how mine is evolving, EA is one of the HOTY that really deserves the honor.

If mine acts anything like Blue Angel in my gardens as it grows up it will be high up on my personal Benedict listing.

I had no idea there was a Heuchera 'Angel'. I will have to watch for it.

Theresa

I am proudl to say that I am slowly becoming known as one of the three 'Hosta Ladies' in town, thanks much to the work Les had begun. The most common reaction when I walk people around my gardens is "Wow". Not that they equal many of yours! I only wish my computer issues soved where I can post pictures again.