Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mstrecke_gw

Wanted! Pictures of Guac and its sports in full sun

mstrecke
9 years ago

I have a GE in a spot that gets full sun most of the day. I would like to move it to a less intense spot as I prefer it not as bleached as it currently is.

I am thinking of putting one of my Guac's or one of the Guac sports in its place. I have Hole Mole, Cathedral Windows, Guac and Avocado. I am willing to be enabled into another Hosta as well :D

Thanks,

Margaret

Comments (36)

• leaflover76
    9 years ago

South side of my house. Never moved it. It started as 2 plants with 3 leaves each, one on either side of the tree. Now its a monster and I don't fertilize, just water.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

I had Holey Mole in approx. half day (morning) sun and it did not have the distinct variegation that I love...So, it's now moved to much more shade/ filtered light and has just the look that I wanted. Personally, I would try Cathedral Windows in your GE spot.

I ended up planting a Lakeside Shore Master where Holey Mole used to be and LSM loves it there.

• mstrecke
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the pics and input.

Leaflover,

Your Guac is gorgeous!

ci_lantro, that is exactly what I was worried about with Holy Mole. I was JUST looking at LS SM in the hosta library and was wondering how that would hold up.

I may get a LS SM and go the pot route for next year to see who holds up the best.

Thanks,

Margaret

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

As you ask questions and get opinions, pay attention, not only to zone, but to location. The sun in Texas is a lot more intense than it is in Seattle. I'm at 32 degrees and you're at 47 degrees. Think about how intense the sun is where they live.

That said, Cathedral Windows is really doing well in a lot of sun at my house. This is it's first year here, so it may fry in August, but it's doing well now. It's holding up as well as Squash Casserole is, and that one is cast iron.

bk

• User
    9 years ago

Hi there. I have one to suggest, and you get to buy a new hosta in the process. I mean, that has to be a win/win situation!

Everybody is probably tired of me touting Squash Casserole's virtues. But honest to goodness, it is an amazing plant. I am in a HOT zone here. Zone 9a now (it once was 8b). The zone changed, I did not move.

But it is in perfect leaf, and it sits in western afternoon sun with LOTS of water. Its sport Yesterday's Memories is performing similarly. The Squash Casserole is a solid gold, the Yesterday's Memories is gold with a medium green margin. They both arrived in 2012 and LEAPED this year to be 36 inches wide And nice lavender blooms, some sparse seedpods this year. I just bought Wave Runner which has softer colors it seems, another sport of SC, and next year another sport, Key Lime Pie, is due to LEAP also. I absolutely am amazed at this performance. Tony Avent said SC was made for the south, it could take the sun and heat, but cautioned it needs lots of water to do it.

I looked at it again today, and it is still in perfect leaf, where others around it are getting the frazzles. So any of that clan can take a lickin and keep on tickin.

SC end of April 2014

SC end of June 2014

Yesterday's Memories behind Luna Moth, and Squash Casserole beyond YM on May 29 2014

Key Lime Pie

Wave Runner just a new guy here

• mstrecke
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks bk,

I was keeping that in mind :) My main goal was to find a variegated plant that did not bleach out too much in full sun. I figured that if someone in the south had a Hosta do well in full sun that it would be a shoe in for me in Seattle. Poor GE looks like parchment paper.

Mocc,

I already have Squash Cass on my wish list because of your pictures and Hosta pushing :) The way it holds its leafs so horizontal is awesome.

It is slated for the side of the house next year. I have the perfect spot for her!

Margaret

• User
    9 years ago

Ahhhh, yes, that will be a great choice, Margaret. If you buy your hosta from a local source, you'll get to choose your plant. That must be a great feeling to take it home with you.

If you are up in the Seattle area, is Naylor Creek close to you?
    And, have you heard of the Little And Lewis gardens? Have they closed down? Just beautiful plants and garden art.

• maow
    9 years ago

I have a one year old Guacamole between 2 golden mound spireas, it is in all day sun, it has filled out quite fast and has not bleached out, very nice subtle colors.
    The plantaginea family should do very well abd bloom in all day sun, I have Venus and Sweetie just a few feet away and they are quite happy in all day sun. Striptease is also very happy in all day sun. But mind my zone, it might be different where you are.

This post was edited by maow on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 12:57

• maow
    9 years ago

Here's hosta Sweetie, very nice slightly undulating leaves with yellow to creamy white margin. Medium apple green leaves, fragrant white flowers.

• maow
    9 years ago

Here's hosta Sweetie, another view.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Well...what can I add? I'm reading and listening to you eagerly because my poor treasured Guacamole is still not his handsome old self! He was beautiful last year when I brought him home! The winter was really harsh with this one!

I acquired Cathedral Windows recently (increasing the "Fragrants") so here it is...along with my little NOT mini- me GUac.

I think instead of them residing under a dappled sun canopy, I should bring both out into the direct sun in the morning? Fear sunburn!

This post was edited by josephines67 on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 14:06

• frogged
    9 years ago

My guac, I have had it for around four years and always in this spot. It gets sun all day, different intensities. This ground here is clay so this is a tough plant.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Here's some pics for you, not quite full sun, but southern sun, so it doesn't have to be full to be intense!

Jo, don't fear sunburn with morning sun on Guac! Mine gets so much morning sun and probably some afternoon sun, too and it doesn't have any sunburn! Zone 7B here, in Zone 5, I wouldn't even question it.

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

I moved my Guac to the rear of my garden and don't think it was such a hot idea now because it gets less sun exposure.

Also, I don't see any scapes coming on this season.

{{gwi:1015507}}

DD

• mstrecke
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maow, Fun, Jo, Donna, Thanks so much for all of the GREAT pictures and input!

After some more thought about a replacement for GE, I think a stronger variegated plant like LS Shore Master or Cathedral Windows may be my first test subjects. GE is good sized so I will just sink a pot of each in the spot and see who fares best the remainder of the summer.

Mocc,

I live a ferry ride and then a short drive from the NC Boyz. I used to make a couple trips out there a year for my hosta purchases. I would go there with a group of friends then we would hit up Heronswood and a couple other choice nurseries. It was great fun! Sadly Heronswood. Little and Lewis are no more and NC no longer allow visitors so all of my Hosta and specialty plant purchases are now done via local specialty / club plant sales and the web / mail. We have some nice nurseries in the area, just none with the sort of hosta and specialty plant selection to meet my collector needs.

Margaret

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Funn, thank you for the advice! Sure makes sense. Both in sunshine now...waiting for my Guacamole Don to pick up the pace. Maybe I'll get another one to watch over him, lol. Thanks again - and btw, your G is super healthy and very attractive! :-)

All Guacs pictured are huge and handsome, aren't they?

• User
    9 years ago

DelaDonna, your Guac pictured does have ONE scape if the picture was taken this year. Look down front in the middle. Not coming out tall and high up.

Mine is in bloom now. It gets afternoon sun and a bit of morning sun as well. I have another pot of it somewhere.

I saw a good size butterfly today dipping into the open blooms of Jade Stone. NExt it went to those on Avocado. I'm hoping it got pollen transferred because I know Avocado can make seedpods. The butterfly stayed for a long time down deep in the throat of each flower. When s/he came out, it did a dipsy doodle flight like saying "Wheee!"..... Must be some good nectar.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Wow, everybody I am amazed at the Guacamole plants I have seen on here. I do not have any of these in town, but I bought a HUGE plant last year for the lake, and divided it up to make more plants. All are small and thriving out there.
    My question to all of you guys though is, you mention it going in the sun, and where some of you guys live must be really hot. I know I live in Saskatchewan, and Zone 3b and I was worried about my hostas getting too much sun here, because some of them burn or get bleached out. Sooooo, considering the zones, I probably could put more hostas in more sun couldn't I??? I am running out of shaded areas and am slowly going into the more sun areas of my yard.......interesting to read what you guys all have to say about growing them considering your zones.

Awesome...

Michelle

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Fried Bananas is a fast-growing sport from Guacamole. This one is not in full sun, which is why it's chartreuse. I've seen full sun-grown examples, and they're considerably more yellow/gold.

Of course, any of your other fragrant hostas you have would be great choices as well.

Cheers,
    Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

I was paying no attention.....what you said was GUAC OR ONE OF ITS SPORTS. Oh me! Well, now, that opens this game up for a whole new overtime inning. Good for you.

Avocado, Fried Bananas, Fried Green Tomatos, Holy Mole, Hot Green Chilies, Jade Stone, Mariachi, Paradise Sunshine, Quesadilla, and Stained Glass. ALL and EACH is highly popular and highly durable, and also highly fragrant.

All are, in fact, in bloom at my house right now. Except for maybe Mariachi, Stained Glass, and Quesadilla, no blooms yet.

Avocado.....

Jade Stone in back on left, and Paradise Sunshine on its right also in back. Both are Guac sports

Holy Mole with its scape showing in late June

Hot Green Chilies is gorgeous

Mariachi is one you don't hear much about, but it is frankly impressive. And it did bloom. I forgot.

Quesadilla is new this year. It is a streaker and it is expensive. But it seems it will be big like Jade Stone.

Stained Glass in late April 2014

• User
    9 years ago

Michelle, zone 3? OH MY!
    You just start the plant off in the sun and by the time the days are hot (for your zone) they will be ready to take the heat. As always, they take the heat WITH ADEQUATE MOISTURE. You will have to determine what that "adequate" is. I also water to get the heat down for my garden, as well as for individual plants (in pots).

Just think about all the hosta you can add to your garden if they can take the sun! :)

• mstrecke
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my Mocc, what have I done! I can hear my hard earned income swooshing out the door. Green chilies is gorgeous... that will need to be purchased as well as any other plants to maximize shipping costs of course..

Anyone know where I can get green chilies?

Michelle, hosts are shade tolerant. Keeping that in mind, my local and after seeing some huge plants grown in full sun, I am default planting everything in sun and watering a lot. If it is still burning after the second year I will move it. If your plants are at a remote cabin that is periodically visited I would probably be a bit more conservative ðÂÂÂ

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Thanks mocc and trecke! I am learning a lot on here. I have been putting a few in the sun, or part sun. I just thought the hot sun of summer was too much and too hot for the hostas, but I see you guys with zones 8 and 9 doing well, so like you said I should be able to do more sun planting in my zone. Just water like crazy when I am not working or in the evenings.
    As for my cabin, its not really that far away, ours is still just a cabin for the summer, but it has become a place where people buy and tear down and build houses to live year round. Because we don't go when we are working the hostas don't get watered unless it rains. That being said, that is why I bought Wal-Mart plants last year and divided them like crazy to have many out there. I think I bought six plants and divided to make one eye for each plant. None of them are fancy named plants. I have Sieboldiana Elegans, Aurea Marginata, Francee, Patriot and Guacamole out there.....that's it, but now into many plants. And yesterday I moved them and yes I sanitized with each plant I moved.

Michelle

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

Ok, I'm on 45ú N Latitude.

This garden is in my front yard, east side of my house, sun till 3pm.

In here, you have Guacamole, Fried Green Tomatoes & Fried Bananas. Guac has almost no margin in full sun. Everything washes out to a similar shade of blah!

This pic was taken 2 years ago. This year, everything is SO BIG that there's no mulch visible in the hosta bed.

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Just purchased these 2 guacs this year. They get 6 hours of morning sun and dappled shade the rest of the day. Looking at the other photos on here at how large they get, I deff planted mine too close to each other.

• User
    9 years ago

BungalowM, your two Guacs are fine looking plants. Yes, they could use some more room. It will be easier to move them sooner than later. Maybe early spring as they pip their new eyes. It might be difficult in the heat to disturb them now.

I say that but want to remind you I am a pothead hosta grower, and not experienced with in-ground issues. Others may offer better advice.

I'm fond of the white vincas, but I think your white flowers are impatiens? A touch of white in shade is always welcome. I gave up on the white for hosta and find companion plants a better option for my touches of white.

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Thank you. The white flowers are impatiens. Went with a white flower theme through the whole yard, minus the hostas that bloom purple. What companion plants with white do you use? I'm new to gardening, so still learning and finding out about plants and options.

• dg
    9 years ago

Mocc, in your last pic, the small white edge strap leaf hosta below the two 'stained glass' are a really nice option for a 'touch of white' in the shade.

• User
    9 years ago

DGregory, those two white edged hosta are Verna Jean, which I ended up planting in a pot with The Razor's Edge in the middle. They are inexpensive and very willing to grow. I got some of mine from Green Mt. in VT and Bridgewood in VA.

BungalowM, let me see, I think I use just annual vinca with the white flowers. Some come with a red spot in the middle, some with yellow, and I like em pure white if I can get them.

The ones above are not growing too big this year, since they do not get maximum sun there. They like sun and a good bit of water. I also use aspidistra with white variegated stripes (get them from Plant Delights). They might not take to your garden zone though.

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

I live about 5 miles from bridgewood farms in VA. Were you happy with your shopping experience there? They are not open to the public so even living close I cant stop in and view plants. Sadly I missed their open house this year.

Will have to look up aspidistra, not sure what it is. Love just about anything striped though.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Moccasinlanding I like that last picture you posted...an old canoe to plant flowers in?? Sweet!!

• User
    9 years ago

Thanks, Hostacats. It is a flat bottomed pirogue, the name of a homemade boat style of the Cajuns in south Louisiana. It floated up at my brother's house in Slidell after Hurricane Katrina, and he gave it to me for a flower pot. It sure wouldn't float any more! :)

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Hahaha awesome moccasinlanding. Didn't really know what kind of boat it was, but looked similar to a canoe. I like how you were able to take something that doesn't work anymore and incorporate it within your yard.

Michelle

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Oh God. I was at the lake yesterday playing with my hostas and putting edges around the beds and finding old logs or whatever to also put in bed. I have quite a few Guacamoles from last year that I divided to make many. I think nine from one plant. I came home and started reading on the guacamole and fudge this is a huge plant!!! I've planted too close and space is limited at this cottage. hahaha might have to give some away as they get bigger, or rip down sheds!! LOL.......or put two back together??? Its the cottage and these plants are thriving well they get good sun in morning and early afternoon and they are getting so much bigger in just one year from me dividing like crazy!!! Woah!!!

Michelle

• User
    9 years ago

Good for you, Michelle! I love the way you "play with my hostas." Good way to say it.

I don't know as I'd move anything now. You might decide you like the look. I've reduced the number of pots I keep by combining two or three of the same in one pot.

What I'm hearing is your Guacs love the location. Cannot beat that!

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Guacs love the location but I KNOW there isn't enough room for when they get bigger. I will either put a few back together or start making new beds. I still am possessive with hostas and don't want anybody to have mine...cheap or not. I like the hostas close together but what I did at lake is too close. I may not do anything this year because of the heat. Just making ideas in my head for next spring.......but knowing me when I'm out there in two weeks for a week I will be moving things around....just who I am.......oops.....