Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Has this hosta been Nematoded?

thisismelissa
16 years ago

My neighbor has a huge bunch of this hosta. Tonight, she asked me to take a look at a "problem". She said there were "holes" in her hosta and I saw those right away... I told her mine were suffering the same problem... a light hail storm about a month ago.

But we looked deeper and found this... I told her I thought it might be nematodes, especially since she said the same thing happened this time last year. She said it's mainly in this white margined hosta, but is also in an adjacent lime green one too.

What do you think? Kudos if you can ID the variety too!

{{gwi:1049767}}

Comments (32)

• lynnem
    16 years ago

The brown streaks appear to be running along the veins, and not crossing them.. I'd say good chance... looks like there's some meltout as well.

• Hosta_Haven
    16 years ago

I am experiencing the same thing with my Clifford's Stingray. Individual leaves look even worse than Melissa's neighbor's. Melissa, I THINK those are Undulata Univitta. See link below.

Anyway, I did the test for Nematodes...cut up leaves in cool water in a clear glass bowl, bright backlight, strong magnifying glass, put on my reading glasses...no nematodes sighted! I thought sure they were present. I checked after 30 minutes, several hours, 24 hours, and 36 hours. NOTHING. Here are photos. Is this meltout? or heat stress?

Char
    {{gwi:1049769}}

{{gwi:1049770}}

{{gwi:1049772}}

{{gwi:1049773}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Guide to Identifying undulatas

• sheltieche
    16 years ago

It looks to me as this hosta has been in too much sun with not enough water, suffered from stress and has been eaten by slugs/bugs.

• ademink
    16 years ago

The first hosta looks like heat and the "undulata uglies".

The second one definitely looks like nematodes to me!

• Janice
    16 years ago

I don't think either examples look definitive for Nematodes to me!

The test as Char as described would be the final say, IMHO! Well worth getting a 10x and stronger
    magnifying glass for!

I tested a fern leaf, after being in water for a couple of hours. Whereas in the past, I've had to squint and
    patiently move around the water to find a *squirmy*, they almost leaped out of the water on that one!!
    The water was FULL of them and I spotted them within 2 seconds, I'm sure!!! Gak!!!

Once you've seen ONE, you are never in doubt again, when you see another! It's very evident they are
    a living thing, and not just tissue debris or a hair! Of course, they don't live long
    once I discover one--into the microwave, they go--dish, water, leaf and all!

Confession: I'm very guilty of "Nema-cide"!

• ademink
    16 years ago

The 2nd Cliffords Stingray Photo shows two issues, IMHO: The top, left section of damage looks like a heat issue. I definitely think, however, that the stuff going on in the middle is nematodes...you can even see it coming up the petiole.

Some worms cannot be viewed with the "water test"....only w/ a microscope. They are definitely there even if you personally cannot see them.

• lindac
    16 years ago

Those hosta need water....lots of it...and a little sluggo sprinkled around wouldn't hurt either.
    It's easy to become a Hosta Hypochondriac. You hear about a disease and start seeing it everywhere. Most hosta are healthy plants, especially the older varieties. I think it would be pretty rare for nematodes to get much of a foot hold as far north as Madison Wisconsin.
    Linda C

• ademink
    16 years ago

Allrighty, seems I am the minority in this "diagnosis" so feel free to ignore me. lol

• woodthrush
    16 years ago

Linda
    I'm curious about what you said
    "I think it would be pretty rare for nematodes to get much of a foot hold as far north as Madison Wisconsin."
    Do nematodes survive zone 4 winters?
    Pam

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

Yes, nematodes can survive Wisconsin winters. I asked Ron Williams from the House of Hosta. He said that there was a time when it was too cold for them to survive, but our winters are so mild now it doesn't bother them. Perhaps in the far north (which is not Madison -ha ha) they wouldn't survive.

• maryann_____chgo
    16 years ago

I agree with your diagnosis, Andrea.

Nematodes have a cold/freeze tolerance of -15 degrees. In winter they migrate to the crown and are insulated by soil, mulch, and snow. They are naturally less obvious in zone 4 due to the shorter growing season.

• woodthrush
    16 years ago

Thanks, Jen.
    Pam

• lindac
    16 years ago

Everything I read/have read indicates that foliar nematodes are not an issue where the temps get to minus 15. Not that they don't exist, but that at such smaller numbers as not to be an issue.
    Here on the cusp of zone 4, we regularly have winters where it gets to minus 15...and lower. I can't believe you are significantly warmer in Madison....but then....the lake?
    Linda C

• ademink
    16 years ago

I wonder what the soil temp would be if the air temp is -15. I'm sure the amount of soil over the top, the amount of mulch and the position of the plant would make a big difference (microclimates, urban heat effect, etc).

That would be an interesting study (probably already been done but no time to Google today LOL).

I hate nematodes. I think that is the real derivation of the word "nemesis". hehe

• Janice
    16 years ago

Ademink--I'm beginning to *see* what you're seeing, and I think you made a good case for the possibility!
    Gotta get me some laser surgery!!!!LOL

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

I think the lake might make a difference in zone. I was just looking at a zone map and realized that Madison and part of Iowa is a lower zone than me. I am in a zone 5, and I'm about 1/2 hour south of Green Bay. However I live a couple blocks from a lake which makes a huge difference.

• Hosta_Haven
    16 years ago

I live in DeForest which is a good 20 minute ride to a lake of any size. I'm in zone 5A and it gets way colder than -15 here quite a few days in the winter.

Char

• dentaybow
    16 years ago

Foliar nematodes can survive the winter here in northern Minnesota where temps get considerably colder than -15! Not a major problem like it is in southern climates.
    Jan

• dentaybow
    16 years ago

Forgot to reference this site on foliar nematodes. A good read.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grewal's research

• ademink
    16 years ago

Great article! Really interesting on the cadavers!

• Hosta_Haven
    16 years ago

Dentaybow,

Thanks for posting the link to Dr. Grewal's research!
    I learned alot!

Char

• sassy7142
    16 years ago

Yesterday, I removed the leafs that showed nematode damage
    from 7 plants that I have planted at my camper and sprayed all the plants anywhere near the infected ones with Zerotol.
    I used 1 oz per 1 gal of water. That two & one half gal jug that I bought will last me a lifetime. lol

So far, I've only noticed damage on 3 of my plants at home. Tomorrow I plan to spray those plants
    with Zerotol, plus all the plants surrounding the infected ones. I doubt if I'll spray all of my hostas at
    home, there's too many of them, it would take forever.

I called the manufacter of Zerotol and they suggested that I spray the plants every 5-7 days.
    They also told me that they are hoping to someday sell Zerotol in a diluted form.

I sure hope this Zerotol works! These nemotodes are really a nightmare.

• woodthrush
    16 years ago

Is Zerotol a systemic or contact spray? It would have to be something that the plant absorbs into its system to be effective against a sucking insect.
    Pam

• sassy7142
    16 years ago

Pam, hmmmmmm, not sure if Zerotol is systemic or a contact spray.
    Are the micoscopic nematodes ON the plant leaf or INSIDE the leaf, or BOTH???
    Don't know.
    All I know is I spoke to some lady at the place that makes Zerotol and she told me that I need to saturate the plant well.
    So, since they travel on sheets of water from one plant to another, would that mean that they are ON the leaf?

When I was at Kuk's Nursery last week we discussed nematodes.
    He said that just by walking on the ground you could carry them on the bottom of your shoes.
    Isn't that depressing?
    Well, you can disenfect your garden tools but you sure can't put your shoes or bare feet in bleach water after taking each step!
    Bob Kuk also said that they are really bad on ferns only they don't show signs of nematode damage.
    So much for buying a fern!
    Janice, isn't that how you got nematodes last year?
    He also named other plants besides ferns, but I can't recall them right now.
    SASSY

• ademink
    16 years ago

brunnera
    tricyrtis
    hepatica
    foamflower
    etc
    etc
    etfreakincetera

• woodthrush
    16 years ago

We are surrounded by ferns in the woods, but my husband won't let them in the yard. lol - he hates them. Geez, you'd think some company would be working on a good remedy for nematodes.
    Pam

• ademink
    16 years ago

I swear, I get so paranoid I think they're in my hair. LOL Shaving my head bald and wearing a hazmat suit in the yard.

• woodthrush
    16 years ago

awk, Andi, I got shivers at the visual! rofl

• bornagain_gw
    16 years ago

Where did you find Zerotol?

Thank you!

• sassy7142
    16 years ago

bornagain,
    The company is called Biocontrol Network. They're located in Brentwood, TN.
    I bought a 40 lb bag of Sluggo from them this past spring.
    The Zerotol is expensive. The smallest jug is 2.5 gal.
    It cost me $169.95 total. ($130.75 for the Zerotol, $16.80 for shipping, .40 insurance and $22.00 for hazardous material.

After ordering it I learned that there's another online place that sells it and I think it's quite a bit cheaper.
    I think the place is EH Griffith. Not 100% sure on the name.

I hope it works. The nems must go!

While on the subject.....Last year I vowed I wouldn't buy another hosta until late summer so I'll know if the plant has nems or not.....then I stood by and watched a nursery worker at a large nearby nursery, he probably didn't make more than mininum wage and was given orders to "pretty up" the hostas. As he inspected each pot on the tables, he pinched off all the "imperfect leafs"....who knows what he pinched off... just broken or sun damaged leafs or did they show hvx, or maybe nematode damage???? So much for closely inspecting plants before you buy.

• creatingadream
    16 years ago

I might have a problem too. So far, this elephant ear is the only one showing symptoms. The planteginea below it had some burned edges from lack of water but seems relatively symptom free. I'm hoping it was just some earlier stress from lack of water. The newer leaves don't appear to have a problem. What do you guys think? Nematodes or stress?

I'm not sure how to post pictures but I'll give it a shot.

Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: elepant ear nematoded?

• ademink
    16 years ago

Looks like sun damage to me.