Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gogirlterri

Your Fave 'Little Darlins'-diff take

gogirlterri
10 years ago

Paul, I loved your 'Little Darlins' and Richie Valins, thoug I was in a mini-mood and couldn't get this out of my mind. I had just browsed the "Crumbs" thread and am looking to fill the new "Mini-ha-hasta" bed in the Noopiming Garden. I have only a few mini and small in it now: Blue Mouse Ears, Cracker Crumbs, Stilleto.
What are your absolute favorite mini hostas? I am looking for stable varieties but as always leaf shape and substance are big in my eyes. BME sets the standard. Maybe I should ask "What are your most dependable minis?

Theresa

Comments (14)

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Blue Mouse Ears is the only one I have...plays well with other in a window box!

Please tell me if the photo isn't upside up. On my tablet and my computer it looks right, but who knows.

This post was edited by jadie88 on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 7:28

• User
    10 years ago

Theresa, think you might like Sparkler. Also Hands Up, which is a sport of Praying Hands. Lets see if I can find pictures of them.

Sparkler

Hands Up (sport of Praying Hands) interesting plant

Of course, Tiny Tears is tiny and dependable too. Pandora's Box is pretty, and in the same bowl with TT, but dependable? I don't think so, from what I've seen so far.

Tiny Tears in May 2013, showing how much the plant has spread in one year. Teeny tiny blooms early in the season.

and the bowl containing two Tiny Tears, Dixie Queen, and Pandora's Box

and then my solution to the miniature problem. Cannot forget these tiny little jewels when watering or providing shade.

and here is the bowl of minis that is doing the best. I like every hosta in this, especially Snow Mouse ....Atom Smasher...Cracker Crumbs.... Silver Threads Golden Needles ... and Pure Heart is the least one in the bunch.

• irawon
    10 years ago

Hi Theresa, I've planted quite a number of minis right in the ground, they compete with tree roots and are surviving. The Blue Mouse Ears sports are growing slowly, much more slowly than BME did. If you're thinking of getting any more of the mice, I would pick Mighty Mouse over Frosted Mouse Ears as it maintains its white margin longer (at least in my garden). I would also pick Pure Heart over Holy Mouse Ears because I've found it more stable. Mouse Trap is holding its mediovariegation well but Cat and Mouse reverted while I wasn't paying attention.

Here's my BME growing between two large roots. Right beside it is Holy Mouse Ears, which I bought two years later than BME.

Moc, happy to see some minis I don't have. You've displayed them really well. I'm interested in Sparkler as my Fireworks is ailing.

I'll post pictures of other minis I like later.

• irawon
    10 years ago

Holy Mouse Ears

• irawon
    10 years ago

Of the yellow minis I really like Coconut Custard and Tiny Bubbles.

Tiny Bubbles, today

• irawon
    10 years ago

I have a few white margined minis that I like. Rock Island Line has grown well. Pixie Vamp's yellow margin turns white. Lakeside Zinger is impressing me in its third year.

Lakeside Zinger

• irawon
    10 years ago

Cameo in front of Appletini, both minis. I can't believe how big Appletini's gotten. I've divided Cameo several times though

• irawon
    10 years ago

Cherish has been a good grower for me.. one of 8 divisions.

• irawon
    10 years ago

My Pandora's Box is doing fine but I think that's probably because it has a wider green margin than most.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Irawon, your minis are beautiful! I so enjoyed looking at them, pausing at some to linger...just love them all. Thank you for posting the pictures...it is time consuming, but a labour of love, right? I bookmarked that thread.
    So nice to share lovely pictures...it's like visiting!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Irawon, your minis are beautiful! I so enjoyed looking at them, pausing at some to linger...just love them all. Thank you for posting the pictures...it is time consuming, but a labour of love, right? I bookmarked that thread.
    So nice to share lovely pictures...it's like visiting!

• irawon
    10 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments, Jo. It's always good to be able to share.

• gogirlterri
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back. I didn't spend 2 minutes on the computer since my posting. The weather has been gorgeous.

Irawon-you and moc have both given me many answers to questions,as well as photos of great looking little-uns. My Fireworks really had taken off its 2nd year. It looked just like a skyrocket. Then year 3 it regressed and year 4 was gone-gone-gone. I've wondered if It was a crown depth issue, but have no interest in investing in another I've read here that that is typical, and have wondered about Sparkler. I love your Tiny Bubbles: and it's name.

Moc-next Wed. is PD and I am going shopping in our many resale/antique/collectible shops here in Wilmington. We are 20 miles roughly from any of the 3 Walmarts, but we have one collectible shop that specializes in Gaelic items. I am hoping to find small ceramics, and at the Trinity Knot some 'Wee Ones' with a pot of gold. There are many 'Irish' hostas to place them with. Maybe that is a topic for another thread?

I plan on not rushing planting in my garden under the Lilac.

By the way, I have posted often how the squirrels ravaged my hostas and Cracker Crumbs had been depotted or dug up 6-7 times. I am happy to say she survived once I planted it using only the natural soil. Having been dug up it was already bare-rooted (again). My walnut tree has so many nuts this year some of the branches I have to walk around to view Theresa' Angel Garden under it. It amazes me how Cracker Crumbs managed to survive. Several times I'd had to rehydrate her roots. If anyone is looking for a cute and really tenacious mini CC should be given some thought.

Theresa

• irawon
    10 years ago

Theresa, I have the same problem with squirrels, chipmunks and raccoons. They love to dig in freshly disturbed soil and the spruce cones act like torpedos on my hostas.

Just wondering also whether anyone has any nice blue minis they could recommend besides the mice. I would like to add a few more to my mini collection.

Coconut Custard