Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyslopes_z5ut

Victory with some crazy fasciation

From frost damage in the spring.....

To this!

This shows if a hosta wants to leap it finds a way. This is fasciation, right? It measures 49" tall (about 1.244 meters). You can see my sunglasses on top of a (smiling) rock at the bottom to show how tall it is. Crazy plant makes me smile. :-)

Comments (8)

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

I don't see any fasciation. Those are just big scape leaves. Victory typically has 7 foot tall scapes. It's a characteristic of most with H. nigrescens in their background.

Steve

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Sandyslopes...I'm liking the architectural aspect of this beauty! Those scapes are very attractive.

7ft. you say, Steve? Wow...I just checked out of curiosity...there are beyond a dozen hosta listed with flower scrapes exceeding 6 feet!!! Amazing.

Steve...do you have a nigrescens in bloom by any chance?
    Jo

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jo, there is a sort of architectural elegance to it. If it can't be nice and full, then this was a good show, anyhow.

Steve, that's good know. And here I thought I had something unusual going on with this plant. I didn't know the scapes could grow so tall. So those leaves climbing up the scape don't have anything to do with fasciation, then. I wasn't sure. Hostas are intriguing.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

TA-DA!!! Cool how hosta are able to recover from injury no nicely, isn't it?

Great-lookin plant. Those scapes are something else.

Don B.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Don. That was my feeling about it. From thinking I missed seeing its leap year to feeling like what a cool plant!

• User
    10 years ago

I have a Victory and when it bloomed earlier this month (blooming is still in progress), I had scapes standing tall at first, until the flower head began weighing it down. Those are some very tall scapes! I did not measure them, but I did collect several into a cluster by using a fairly large hair clip and a section of bamboo. Our frequent rains served to weigh down the scapes too. It gets a lot of light in the morning and mid day, and some protection from the early afternoon sun, then the final light before the sun sinks behind the tall pines across the street.

It is the hosta in the right front. I'll look closely tomorrow morning, but I do not see the large leaves on the scape like yours has.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Moc! Your Victory looks like it's doing well. You have a lot of nice hostas. .....On mine, the leaves climbing upward, and the way the scapes are so upright instead of sprawling, has made it interesting this year. We haven't had much rain, but mine gets hit with the sprinkler water all the time, and it's still able to stand tall this year.

I guess I was hoping there was an upside to frost damage, but I should have known better because none of my other frost damaged ones are growing extra tall. That would be cool if that was a side effect of frost.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Josephine,

I don't grow the species H. nigrescens. But Elatior is certainly a nigrescens hybrid if not a natural variation of the species. It's a great plant with very long scapes. I planted it up in the rocks in my garden to give the scapes the room they need. This scape is hard to see but they are about 6 feet long. It's not fully growed yet.

Steve

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus