Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Hosta Bed of Fragrants

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

Hi all,

This is a bed I've dedicated to fragrant hosta (Except for 'Parky's Prize' in front of 'Fragrant Bouquet')...I'm going to add to it this morning, but in this pic, the following varieties are visible: Fragrant Blue, Invincible, Fragrant Bouquet, Fried Bananas, Sugar and Cream, Guacamole, Holy Mole, Avocado, Cathedral Windows, Royal Standard, and a very small Fried Green Tomatoes. Sorry the pic isn't of higher quality; I'll get a better one later today!

Regards,
Don B.

Comments (6)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more...

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Looks good - gonna have a lot of shine in that bed.

Paul

• User
    10 years ago

You said it, a LOT of shine! That will be an awesome looking spot in your garden. Sooner than you think too.

I'm noticing that Fragrant Bouquet does not get beyond a medium size, in the 2 years she's been here. On the other hand, Fragrant Dream and Fragrant King and Avocado are getting quite large. My Fried Bananas was already a big thing when it was stricken by a mosaic type of virus. (I lost 3 of my large fragrants from the same nursery to this virus, plus the first Venus).....(all are since replaced).

My sweet Jade Stone was doing great until sometime during the night a dead limb decided to lay across it. It broke about 4 of the very hefty leaf petioles and I removed them. So much rain for 3 days now, the trees are soaked.

What I want to see is you going bonkers when they begin to bloom for you. Right now in my garden, I cannot keep up with the ones which are poking up scapes just above the leaf line. It is exciting, and I'm afraid to turn my back on the garden because of the rain, the heat, and the humidity. DH is about to mix up a potion to spray on the soil to prevent the southern blight from claiming more victims. He will do it this time, and I'll observe, so that every month I can repeat the soil treatment. It's easier to treat it before the blight strikes than to worry about it afterward.

Good show, Don. Where is your bench or toadstool to sit on and watch them grow?

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Please, let us see them when they come in next year too?

I love them all and your idea!

MIke

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, all. Oh yes, pics next season for sure. I added Mojito, Cerveza and Stained Glass to the bed today, fresh from Hallson Gardens, while subtracting Holy Mole. I planted it under the bathroom window, with the 9 Guacamole. I just wanted to change it up because Holy Mole looks identical to Avocado to me, so I put Mojito in it's spot. Ran out of daylight LOL. I'll take some updated pics real soon.

Regards,
    Don B.

P.S.: Just a folding lawn chair for now, Mocc. Perhaps a bench is in my backyard's future. : )

• User
    10 years ago

That works for me!
    And I finally uploaded the picture of Avocado taken today. You are really going to love your big boy fragrant hosta. I cannot believe how much it has muscled up. To its left is Cathedral Windows and to its right a bit is Aphrodite, the first one I got. It did not open blooms last year. So I bought 2 more from a different source to see if they will open blooms for me. I'm giving all 3 more sun this year, in hopes that is the secret.