Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linaria_z7_ch

Help/ ID with funny Junes

linaria_gw
10 years ago

Hi there
picked up a supposed June Fever, which- after much comparing - looks pretty much like my 2 other Junes.
I am not really into collecting Hosta, and I didn`t know, what JF was supposed to look like.
Looked it up in the Hosta Library.
Well most noticable is the foliage, my specimen has a wax coat, not glossy.

I contacted the nursery guy and told him about the June fever normally being quite yellow and with glossy foliage.

He said that he had wondered for a while about his June and JF, looking very similar at the end of the season,
and he sent me following pic.

On the left his June, the yellow color only showing later in the season, on the right his June Fever,
both plants beeing kept on the same patch with some direct sunlight.
Any idea or explanation for those two June-versions?

He got the young plants from a larger trader/nursery and wants to inquire about their stock/ labeling etc.

Thanks a bundle, bye, Lin

Comments (8)

• coll_123
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Your hosta on the left looks much like my noid hosta which I asked for an id on this weekend on the board. I was thinking mine might be Katherine Lewis but Steve suggested Paradise Joyce, and I think that might be what it is. Here is the link if you want to compare yours to mine. Mine comes up solid color in the spring, then develops the variegation and has a wax coating. It was labelled June when I bought it.

Here is a link that might be useful: June or not June

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hello coll_123, thanks for your link, that helped a lot. Dear me, there I was thinking to have a June was quite the cat`s pajamas, and then it is almost passe; never heard of Katherin Lewis before.

I looked them all up at the Hosta Library,

some new questiones popped up:
    is it possible at all to ID those potted, immature Hostas at all?

So, the one leafing out blue is probably Paradise Joyce, right?

And are there differences between June and Katherine Lewis? In those pics at the HL, June shows a wide range of foliage, some almost completely yellow with just a blue margin.
    Is the yellow of the foliage an aspect to tell them apart? I searched the GW Hosta-site as well, but was more confused in the end.
    Thanks for any further input, bye, Lin

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hello idiothe,
    that`s amazing, thanks for all the information. And I appreciate your extra care regarding those names, with other perennials and matters of botany the right names are so important.

And it was so helpful to get a hint which cultivars are more likely to be mass propagated than others (couldn`t find that at the HL ;-) )
    .------
    So I am going to report back to the nursery guy and am curious, how his supplier will react.

Thanks again, bye, Lin

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Nice plants Lin, they are lovely, and will get even more lovely with maturity...But...'June' "almost passe"? No, ma'am. Not even close. Going strong and still one of the most popular varieties on the market and in the popularity polls..

Jim-You're the man. So much wonderful, useful information from you. Thanks. Again.

Don B.

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Don, glad to hear,
    I read at the Hostalibrary about Kathryn Lewis

quote: H. 'Kathryn Lewis' is a remarkable improvement over 'June' as the leaves are brighter and hold their color (for us, into August) much longer than 'June'."

so the bit about the "remarkable improvement" mislead me.

I have 2 Junes so far, in their second year, and both made a big leap this year, plus the one with more sun shows some nice puckering and slugs hardly bother them. So yes, they are great,

and I am not sure what should be improved....

thanks for your enabling, one always keeps learning,

Bye, Lin

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Ah, Lin, I see...I was wondering why you thought they were almost passe...Yes, I think the caption you read is definitely a bit misleading... I guess 'remarkable improvement' is a matter of opinion, eh? I have 2 'June' also, and adore them. I actually plan on getting 2 more, maybe, and siting them in different areas with varying sun exposure. Since their colors can vary so much, it should be a fun 'experiment', I think.

Those are a nice pair of 'June' you have...Please feel free to post pics anytime...

Cheers!
    Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 3:57

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Idiothe

just wanted to let you know

I moved, no more Hostas in a backyard, but

I did a garden design for a nice couple, they picked up some random Hostas at a garden center (aaah), lucky all virus free, one was a Halcyon

so today I gave them a June as a gift, with some of the details you described

plus, after tracking down this thread, I copied all details into a separate file.

moved on since then, changed computers twice, not very well and lost some data/infos,

glad that I finally managed to get your nuggets of information anew,

have a nice weekend

bye, Lin

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville