Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie81

Is there such a thing?

jamie81
10 years ago

I have been searching through old postings and the hosta library, and I think maybe I am looking for something that doesn't exist. You probably all know the answer.

Is there an upright, vase shaped hosta that isn't huge? I just love the look of them, but they are all so "big".

Is there a medium size hosta that has the vase shape? I would like to plant several around a large shrub. Its a diablo ninebark, so it has the dark red leaves and its about 6 ft. tall. Its at the corner of my house, so I can expand the garden out several feet if I have to.

Is there anything that would work?

Comments (18)

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

IMO, vase shape is relative - a hosta with just a few divisions looks vase shape, but with time the clump fills out and where is the vase. Here's a Praying Hands comparison to illustrate.

Paul

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

I would suggest Whirlwind. Easy to find, grows well and mine has always maintained a vase shape, no matter how much water (or lack of). The colors would complement your diablo ninebark. I have that particular ninebark too and I never thought of lining it with a vase shaped hosta - nice idea. The only concern is that the ninebark will continue to expand at the base until mature so make sure to leave enough room for that or you will be digging up the hostas to allow for the ninebark.

• jamie81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Paul I think you have pictures of every hosta in the world. And all beautiful.

Leaflover, whirlwind is a good idea. Its a pretty good size plant though isn't it? I'm finding 40" wide, is that accurate? I think it would look good, but I don't know if thats too wide. I am trying to avoid moving things in a couple years.

You are right about the size of the ninebark. You have to work at keeping it from expanding too far. But, its one of those shrubs you have to thin out to keep it from looking rough.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Silver Star is an upright grower. Have only had mine since last year, HOTY for 2012. When I received it, (gift from grower) it had one eye, this year four, but it barely takes up space. Pic not great, but you could also look it up. Quoted to reach around 30" or so but because of its upright habit, regardless of increase in eyes this year, it's not occupying more space.....no idea if it would appeal to you, but it came to mind.

FYI...it's one of those that I would have passed by, but this year it has a lot of 'silver' showing. Methinks its a sleeper that may grow to surprise!

My other suggestion would be a hosta with gold or chartreuse, which would
    contrast against the beautiful foliage of your ninebark.

Final suggestion...a peach flowered heuchera like Peach Melba or Georgia peach? Stunning colour combination.

Looking forward to the final result when you decide! :)

10 years ago

Here's a pic of Georgia Peach for your consideration....it's not my intention to dissuade you from a hosta companion for your ninebark, but I grew that combination years ago and it was lovely so I thought, if you are open to suggestion, I would offer.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I wrote an article on vase-shaped hostas for the Journal... it got bumped... might show up someday... but I changed the term to "Upright" because, like Paul, I don't think vase-shaped is an accurate description. I do think some give more of an impression of being upright - and the species heritage gives a hint.

The three most upright species are fluctuans, nigrescens, and rectifolia... and montana comes in as a semi-upright. Of these, only rectifolia is a small to medium species. There are some hostas with this heritage that provide an upright small to medium. For example, Garnet Prince (and my new Polish Prince) ... and I'd say Royal Rhubarb... some of those upright, green, tending toward red petiole hostas

http://www.hostalibrary.org/g/garnetprince.html

and the most dramatically upright plant in my garden right now is Stargate. I don't know how big it will eventually get or what its final form will be... but its either third or fourth year and it still is standing much taller than its spread... and wonderfully streaked foliage. Honestly, I looked at the hosta library and I wouldn't be able to say that is the same plant from picture to picture, or sthe same plant I'm growing. I just know that if I had 20 like my one, I could have sold all 20 of them to garden visitors this year...

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Josephines- Do you have different HOTY's in Canada? Liberty is the HOTY here for 2012.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Growers HOTY List

• jamie81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heuchera have a very short life at my house. I murder them. Don't know how I do it, but I have killed more than I can count. One of those things I admire in other peoples gardens, and then I run away. But I appreciate the suggestion and I will look at Silver Star.

I will check into the other suggestions too. I probably need something thats more common though since I will need several. But I still like looking. Thank you

10 years ago

Bapka, right you are...I meant to say NLY..new last year, not HOTY...i am fortunate to live fairly close to a home business hosta grower and she gifted me with SS. Thanks for catching that.

Jamie...confession...I too have more fatalities than I should with my heuchera s, but I tell myself that it's the pill bugs fault, more than it is mine lol...bit of both..

It's great to network and you will get some great suggestions...and phrases keep cropping up on this forum.........something like....ultimately it's your garden, grown for your pleasure, choose what speaks to you, have fun, .... Sometimes a suggestion inspires and ideas pop into your mind that are far removed from the suggestion itself...but the inspiration is provided nevertheless. That's the best thing about reaching out for ideas.

The anticipation for us is finding out what you decide upon, and of course, we expect pictures, pictures, and more pictures! Lol
    Jo.

10 years ago

Bapka, right you are...I meant to say NLY..new last year, not HOTY...i am fortunate to live fairly close to a home business hosta grower and she gifted me with SS. Thanks for catching that.

Jamie...confession...I too have more fatalities than I should with my heuchera s, but I tell myself that it's the pill bugs fault, more than it is mine lol...bit of both..

It's great to network and you will get some great suggestions...and phrases keep cropping up on this forum.........something like....ultimately it's your garden, grown for your pleasure, choose what speaks to you, have fun, .... Sometimes a suggestion inspires and ideas pop into your mind that are far removed from the suggestion itself...but the inspiration is provided nevertheless. That's the best thing about reaching out for ideas.

The anticipation for us is finding out what you decide upon, and of course, we expect pictures, pictures, and more pictures! Lol
    Jo.

• ninamarie
    10 years ago

Both heuchera killers seem to be gardening somewhere near me. Grow heuchera villosa hybrids. These heuchera will grow, flourish and overwinter here. Two examples are 'Caramel', and 'Citronelle'. These form large clumps in the garden. I have not handled or replanted mine in about eight years, though I think I dumped compost on one this year. They are always there, they always look good, and they form multiple offsets, instead of growing from one single, woody stem. Plus they easily handle our hot and humid summers.
    You're not killing them - the heucheras you are buying fizzle out in our hot summers.

• jamie81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nina that makes me feel a little bit better. My problem is that when they start to fizzle I spend way to long trying to coax them back to life. I have a hard time digging them up and tossing them out.

I do the same with hostas. I have a couple tiny ones that just aren't going to make it, yet I hang on. I swear I have the oldest, smallest Patriot in the world.

Tomorrow it goes in the trash.

• donrawson
    10 years ago

Here's a link which may be helpful: Small and Medium Vase-shaped Hostas

• idiothe
    10 years ago

thanks, Don... don't know why I didn't think of your list immediately!

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

May I recommend Torchlight?
    That's a good grower, vase shaped and would look good with your Ninebark

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Look at Proud Sentry on the hosta library. Land of the Giants has it. Thinking about ordering it for myself!

Sandy

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Salute might fit your needs.

tj

• jamie81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Torchlight would look good, but I think it might be too wide. Have you seen it anywhere locally?

Proud Sentry is really nice. Seems like it would fit the space. The only drawback is the price. $18. I need 5. Thats a little painful.

Is Land of the Giants a good place to order from?