Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bungalowmonkeys

Rhino Hide pics?

BungalowMonkeys
9 years ago

Yesterday at the nursery they had a Rhino Hide. I loved how thick the leaves were and the color was beautiful. The bad thing was the price, $38. I've seen it online for less, but doubt it would be the size this one was. Not that this one was large. Havent been able to stop thinking about it and now wish I had grabbed it yesterday. Would love to see pics if anyone else is growing this. Also the price, choke it up and deal, or keep shopping and wait?

Comments (24)

• smorz
    9 years ago

I have a small one, that when I went to plant it in fall it clearly became two :(. They were wee little guys and come spring I had several more eyes on both and its putting out some lots of roots fast. Ask me now and I would rather have had a bigger one to start, but I have a good inclination its going to leap next spring. I will post pics when I get home from work, tonight. For the life of me, I cannot remember where I ordered it, though.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Since you asked for pics: My RH is one year old. Good luck with your decision.

• jimr66
    9 years ago

That seems awfully expensive for RH.

18-22 dollars would be a fairer price for a 1 gallon plant, 12-15 dollars for a small one.

Wait a few weeks, most garden centers start blowing stuff out cheap at the beginning of August.

James

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

I have never regretted ponying up the extra dough for a larger specimen. I have, however, regretted paying for a smaller one that ended up melting away or just sat there and didn't grow. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Not so, in the other direction, though. No regrets. If I got the chance to grab a larger one, I'd take it. Instant gratification!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Here is my newbie this year. I agree with you...unless it's size is comparable to the price. Mine was either $20 or $25 and I'm happy with it. But I would have paid $50 for hostahosta's size any day! Beautiful RH!

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

I started out with a rather small Rhino Hide.. seeing some of your 1 year olds.. I should have waited.. or planted mine somewhere else ;)

• hostanista
    9 years ago

$5 at a local residence (they hold a once a year sale in June). It's a small one but at $5, can't complain. It's grown a fair bit since planting out first week of June.

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Another - close up just for fun. I'm loving the look and texture of this one.

9 years ago

Hostanista, you scored the best deal! Great new growth there - I better find a spot for mine, soon! Isn't Rhino Hide a beauty?

Thanks, Don Rawson! ... For a hosta second to none in its uniqueness!

Jo

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Had a pair of conjoined leaves (petioles) this year on Rhino Hide....so double thick...;-)

Paul

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

I think you will find the link below very interesting. In that thread Don Rawson himself speaks about Rhino Hide's variegation and growth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Post your Rhino Hide Pictures

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

I've had Rhino Hide since early 2011.
    Am I the only one who finds it to be a slow grower?

Here mine is at the end of June:

Vanessa

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Vanessa, planted mine in 2010 with 2 divisions/3 in 2012/6 in 2014...growing in quite a bit of sun, morning+.

Paul

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

Thanks, Paul! I am going to give it one more year to prove itself. If it doesn't then I will move it to more sun.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

My Rhino Hide hates me. Maybe I should stomp on it to 'stimulate' growth.

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

Vanessa, Don Rawson told me it was slow to get going. I got one from him, after I got one which was a tissue culture through Naylor. I'd be willing to pay dearly for a larger Rhino Hide if that had been an option in the beginning.

Sometimes you run across nurseries which feature a "double sized" plant, or "clumps" or feature them by 2 gallon sizes. If you like a hosta well enough, it is worth having a leg up with some of your favorites.

This is my third real season to be growing hosta and the ones which are more mature are a delight to my heart. I don't regret any purchase EXCEPT where I went timid and did the smaller/cheaper route. There is more to selecting a good hosta than simply $$.

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Really like this hosta. You guys are great photographers, all the pics are just beautiful. Going back to the garden center tomorrow after the new shipment has arrived. Hopefully the rhino has made its way to the sale table.

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

Mocc,
    Back in 2011 when Rhino Hide came to the Canadian market via TC, there was no option for purchasing mature plants. I have yet to see a mature one in any garden or nursery that I've visited.

Being in Canada, we have to take what we can get and don't have the options you do in the USA where there are an abundance of hosta specialty nurseries and many hybridizers live. For a lot of new hostas, we pay at least $5-20 more per plant than you do. Retailers here in Canada also tend to split the divisions they get from the USA to maximize their profits and sell more plants at the inflated price....so at the end of the day the customer gets a smaller plant.

This is why I have started ordering from the USA myself because the markup is ridiculous on new introductions. That said, I am no cheapo when it comes to hostas and pay big bucks to feed my hosta addiction....lol

Vanessa

9 years ago

Vanessa, who pays for the phytosanitary certificate when you order from the states?

9 years ago

I thought of emailing my question to you, but posted as I'm sure I'm not the only Canadian on this forum interested in the answer. Thanks.

• maggiepie_gw
    9 years ago

I too would like to know the details of ordering from US.
    Do you have to get anything other than phyto certificate?
    Info would be greatly appreciated.
    I am at a total loss to know where one would start.

• User
    9 years ago

First year I had Don Rawson's Rhino Hide, it grew a double leaf. Like a Siamese twin conjoined at the midseam. I thought it was an insect had built a web between the two, so when I pulled on it the leaf split apart, one leaf winding up just half, the other having 3 halves, two still glued together. This year it did not happen. So far anyway.

Wish I had left well enough alone. Hindsight is always better.

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Went back to the garden center for the weekly shipment and they did not get a single new hosta in. However the trip was not a loss. The shop owner discounted this little rhino to $20. So excited to add it to the collection.

9 years ago

Welcome to the Rhino Hide world! Glad you went back...and that you negotiated (I'm assuming you did). Nothing like a satisfied customer!

Enjoy - and, btw, that is a nice size! Good choice. :-)