Colors are great...!!

Comments (26)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Uh, but...it doesn't want to grow! LOL

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I think mine is going to die. I won't be replacing it.

bk

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

Orange Marmalade = bad word in my vocabulary.

DD

• irawon
    9 years ago

Mine is recovering in a spin out bag. I think it likes really loose soil.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

That's funny? Mine grows just fine,and this year is no exception. Phil

• leaflover76
    9 years ago

Mine dwindled away until I pitched it.

2011 when I bought it

2012 stayed the same

2013 came back small so I potted it in spring, then planted it in the fall

2014 Disgusted so I threw it out

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

So sad to hear that your OM is not doing well because it really is a beautiful plant., Maybe it is my crappy clay soil and lots of water and probably too much sun that makes it grow. Maybe next year it will do better or if you move it to another location . I have a Lionheart I was going to huck last year and this season it is great.. go figure!

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

I bought an OM this year. Sorry to hear from some of you who are having difficulty with it. Hope that is not the case for me. Time will tell. Almosthooked: I can only say WOW.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I didn't take a pic of mine this year,but here is a pic from a few years ago. It is bigger than this now. Phil

• dougald_gw
    9 years ago

Mine is just a juvenile in its third year in my garden - has grown well in almost full sun but with heavy watering.

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

Mine are smaller than when I planted them 4 years ago. Almosthooked, what a beautiful plant.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I'm glad yours is still doing well, Phil. You were right of course, it looked good enough in the spring to make up for how bad it looks in the summer.

Mine has pretty much gone the way of Leafover's. Mine has looked like photo 3 for 2 years now. I got mine in 2011. It was beautiful in the spring of 2012. It turned to carp in the summer of 2012. Straggly and small in 2013 and again in 2014.

It could always recover, but I'm not holding my breath. It seems like when they start downhill nothing stops them.

bk

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Duplicate post

bk

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 19:09

• brandys_garden
    9 years ago

Nice! I have to say, I like my 2nd one better than my first. She's still putting new leaves up, too! She is getting HUGE! I can't wait to see what she becomes in the future!

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

I had one very poor small plant of this type and between the rabbits and the plant being suicidal it never made it. My one true issue with this plant is (here) it practically loses its great color before spring has ended.. thats just a shame....

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    9 years ago

Don,
    Orange Marmalade is one of my favourites⦠but I have been on both sides of the tracks with regard to this one. My first, I lost through my own fault. The second looked good the first season, but came back distorted and severely crunched up the second, so I chucked it! However, itâÂÂs such a good looking plant that I gave it another try and purchased a quite large one the next time around. This one has done very well.

Now in its third year, this photo was taken in May.

and in Juneâ¦

and so to July.

I like it so much, that I purchased a second, inexpensive plant this spring, so that it can be located at the front and back of the house! Again, IâÂÂve included a progression to show the change in appearance over time.

BC

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

BC, you almost make me want to try it again. Yours are gorgeous.

Maybe I just need to start with a bigger one.

bk

• dougald_gw
    9 years ago

OM seems to be a hosta similar in its need to GE.

It is not totally clear what is required but it is some or all of:
    1) substantial rest over a long cold winter dormancy
    2) a growing season with lots of sunlight
    3) not much real heat
    4) loads of water much more than other hostas

As I said, it is not clear if all these factors are needed but ...

• Glen4sure
    9 years ago

This my OM. Love it!

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

Eye-catching.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Some beauties posted...don't know that I've seen one in person with those color tones.

Paul

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

Looks like OM runs the gamut from "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly". Hopefully my new one this year will flourish as good as the "Good".

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

unbiddenn, what's the one in the top left??

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

OM in mainly shade except for an hour or so mid-day.
    Kathy

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Guess we're some of the lucky ones. Our other one in shadier spot not so much.

Sorry for the sideways. I just got this new phone and have yet to figure out why and how to fix.

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

Mikgag- unbelievably its Golden Meadows. Its in total shade and never colors up. I actually crawled under it and dug out the tags just to check and make sure i had it mapped correctly. Its the one plant every hosta person comments on.