Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie81

So, how slow are they?

jamie81
10 years ago

Liberty and Montana Aureomarginata. How slow are they?

I am finally getting these in the ground. I planned on putting one or the other in the most prominent spot in my front yard. It is sunny until about noon, and then in the shade of the house for the rest of the day.

So what is your experience with these two? Do they steadily progress to a nice clump? Or.....will I want to poke my eyes out, waiting for them to get a little bigger?

Comments (7)

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

It depends. I have a Liberty that is the world's slowest. It's been hanging around for five years and has barely grown. On the other hand, some people have a nice clump of Liberty after that long. My MA and Liberty #2 were a lot faster, roughly doubled in size after a year and slowed a little after that. All you can do is plant one and wait.

Your spot sounds like they'll have the ideal amount of sun. Put in lots of compost, water well, and cross your fingers. Good things are worth waiting for.

• coll_123
    10 years ago

I don't grow but Liberty has grown pretty well for me, improving noticeably each year with added eyes and larger leaves and margins.

Mine was was moved in year two, and again in year 3, I think, and currently is in a spot with almost no direct sun. I would imagine it would thrive in a spot with morning sun like you have.

Here is a pic from the first year

and one from this year

• jamie81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pictures. That is so pretty. I just love Liberty.

I am trying to think ahead for a change. I tend to plant things without taking into account their size or sun preferences. (I move a lot of hostas, but thats kind of fun too. Shakes things up a bit)

Unfortunately, I lack patience.

• irawon
    10 years ago

Like Madplanter and Coll say, sounds like you have the ideal growing conditions for Liberty. Mine was planted in 2009, in the ground, competing with roots of a spruce tree. It doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight. It's been subjected to high winds this spring and doesn't get as much water as some of my other hostas. Notice that the margins on mine are wider on the side facing east. I'm going to see whether I can give it more light from the other side.

I try to allow for mature size when I plant but it doesn't always work out the way I want.

• irawon
    10 years ago

Here's my montana Aureomarginata. It has pretty well the same growing conditions as Liberty but was planted 2 years earlier.

Your hostas should grow more quickly than mine.

• jamie81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those are both very nice.

I think Liberty will fit in my spot better in the long run.

Thanks so much for the pictures.

• timhensley
    10 years ago

I have both and they have both been steady growers.