Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations for deep shade

Posted by lavenderlver none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 6:56

Under the spread of a mature oak tree. I already have Blue Angels, Elegans and a common Marginata(?), so any suggestions for greens, chartruese or others that do well and show well in fairly deep shade?

I have a City Light that's not doing well in it current spot, how would it do if I planted it under the oak's canopy (where the canopy thins out)?

This spot faces SE in zone 6.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations for deep shade

You have the right idea in looking for chartreuse or any other light green to bring a bit of life to a dark, shady area. The one that works for me is Abiqua Recluse, a chartreuse hosta that so far is of medium size with good growth, even in the full shade of an apple tree. It's one of my favorites. With more sun it would probably turn yellow and grow larger, but it suits my purposes.

Abiqua Recluse 2012
Photobucket

Steve

o

Oak lighting is great - fairly high canopy, light is dappled since leaves are not at dense as Maples. My hosta grow great at North end of oak canopy - I call it bright shade, I would think SE would be very bright.

Bright Lights has Tokudama genes, which in general are slower growers.

Paul

o
RE: Recommendations for deep shade - err

Sorry I was thinking of Bright Lights which has Toku.

Paul

o

Very striking Abiqua Recluse, Steve. Is that Francis Williams behind it? Those three plants make a beautiful vignette (four plants I guess, counting the Golden Tiara???) I'm new too hosta, so please forgive me if I've misidentified your plants.

Paul, as always, thank you for your helpful imput!

o

Lavenderiver, the hostas showing in this group are Tokudama Flavocircinalis at 1 o'clock, Heavenly Tiara at 9, and Queen Josephine at 11. Not showing, behind this grouping, is Abiqua Moonbeam, which is my choice for a Frances Williams look-alike. Sorry I can't help with your question about City Lights which I don't have.

Steve

o

In truly 'deep shade', nothing grows. I can and do show visitors here that.

hh

o

Glory does well for me in deep shade. No direct sun after the nearby black walnut leafs out.

Photobucket

tj

o

My best suggestion for 'deep shade' is to 'fix' it. Limb up the trees, remove some trees, well, you get the idea.

fwiw,

hh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here