Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jarih

Its wet here. What shall I do after hostas shipped 3 weeks?

jarih Hynninen
11 years ago

Hi, I ordered hostas and shipping started 27th of June. Today I got information that tomorrow they will be at my place. Finland is far in northern Europe but still it take all too long... I don,t blame nursery. It was someone else who made mistake, I quess. Or uspd. But now the main thing is: How my hostas can survive?

I haven't seen them and I don't know do I have any hope. I paid already customs and I think I try my best. What is best?

Mostly I have got hostas after a week or sometimes after 10 days. I have put them vase for two hours and after that well watered bed. All are still alive and good condition. This summer has been very wet here and temperature is mostly about 65. Good for new or little hostas - not bad for big ones too.

How long I shall let them swim or be in a vase? Is it best to put them in pots? I have a little greenhouse, is it best to use it for good humidity and steady temperature?

I have room for shade bed too.

Thanks for help.

Comments (8)

• i-like-to-grow
    11 years ago

You sound like you know what you are doing... hostas require very little special attention...you are right to soak the roots in water for atleast an hour when they arrive...I would not put them in a very humid place..

Your new arrivals will do great in pots place in an airy shaded location... this will help them recover best from their shipping experience...

When they are in good shape and the weather is not too hot... you could transplant them into the ground in a shaded area away from direct hot sunlight...

Since a location away from direct sunlight is prime for a hosta... I usually can transplant successfully anytime during the growing season...make sure to water heavily at first and plant in a well draining locale

John

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

look forward to pics..

if you open the box... and you smell rot ... you will know.. trust me ...

10% bleach soak is probably recommended ... others can tell you how ....

and in case there is.. i dont recommend.. soaking them all together .. and somehow spreading it among them ...

ken

11 years ago

hopefully they sent intact plants.. bare rooted from pots..
    rather than cut divisions ... which would rot much easier ...

ken

• ctopher_mi
    11 years ago

I agree with Ken, if you open the box and smell rot they may be long gone. I don't agree with the bleach idea. Bleach could do even more damage to already stressed out plants. If they are just a bit dry, brown and crispy, then soaking for a couple hours in cold water will help them out a lot. Hopefully whoever sent them prepared them well for the trip. 3 week survival isn't out of the question IF they packaged them right.

Best of luck!

Chris

11 years ago

yes.. i was a bit vague ..

bleach ONLY on the ones with rot ... as a last chance hail mary ...

better chris???

ken

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

3 weeks in an enclosed package, possibly at high temperatures probably will lead to some composting of hosta parts. Don't give up yet! This can happen after 3 days too.
    When you smell the rot, feel soft mushy tissue, remove all rot, like with very sharp scissors or a very sharp knife. Then give that plant a 10% bleach bath for 1 hour, rinse it and plant it high in a well draining mix. That is, do not plant the crown below the surface. The cut surface will dry up and new leaves will come out of dormant buds. Give it a drink with a fungicide in it, like Captan.
    I did this recently with two multi-eye plants, and no more rot and new healthy growth.
    Bernd

• Cricket_Love
    11 years ago

"I don't agree with the bleach idea. Bleach could do even more damage to already stressed out plants."

I think Chris is saying not to bleach at all on already stressed out plants. It could make things much worse.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

When you have rot, without bleach the plant will die. Cutting out the rot is not good enough. It worked for me.