81 Delta Dawn 3
81 Victory 3
81 Risky Business 3
81 Luna Moth 3
81 High Society 3
81 Maui Buttercups 3
81 Holy Mole 3
81 Abba Dabba Do 3

With ties their are 109 Hosta listed above. 344 different hosta were nominated with 1218 total votes.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Voting Thread

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2012 Top 100 Hosta Poll - Results - Comparison

I thought it might be interesting to see how the top 25 compared from a couple of previous polls-

Top 25 Hosta List Comparison

The first two polls were from GW Hosta Forum.

Paul

o
RE: 2012 Top 100 Hosta Poll - Results

Awesome! Thanks for doing this Paul.

o

Paul thank you for taking the time. Your enthusiasm is infectious.

Recently admitting my own new found addiction this is a great reference.

Ludi

o

Paul, thanks for conducting the hosta poll, it was certainly needed and you put a lot of creativity and effort into it!
Bernd

o

In case anyone wanted to see the top 100 results for 2008, I've included a link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2008 Ultimate 100 hostas - Final

o

Great job, Paul

o

Great Job!

Thank you.

Harry

o

• Posted by JJOF none (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 13:36

You did a great job! Thanks!
Jason

o

Paul- Fantastic job! I found myself antsy in anticipation for the results. As you know, I asked to poll how many of the nominated hostas were being grown by the nominators. My polling was short, simple and effective.

We love what we grow and grow what we love. I can say that with 98% surety. I wish we lived close enough so I could sit down with you some rainy day (seems little chance of that this year even if we did live close together) and go over how you developed your data development process.

Thank you, Paul.

Les

o

Thanks for the work you put in, very interesting to see what other people like. I was surprised to see Great Expectations collect 23 votes. It's lovely, and one of my favorites, but all I hear about it is that it's too hard to grow.

o

awesome! thanks a ton man! you did a very good job!

o

Thanks for all the work, Paul. Very interesting results.

(But can't you sneak Gypsy Rose up a bit higher? I have her and think she is terrific!).

Kate : )

o

Paul, every aspect of your survey is outstanding. I like that you compared the results of your survey to past surveys. I'm bookmarking this thread for future reference.

o

You're all welcome. Hard to believe the last Hosta Forum poll was 2008, seemed much more recent. Happy to see so many participate in the voting.

Early results had June and Liberty tied. Last 30-40% of the vote is when June stretched it out. Also, a bit surprised at the number of different hosta nominations. Shows how many nice cultivars there are and how tastes vary.

Queen of the Seas, Gold Standard, Atlantis, and Golden Meadows are some that stood out to me for changes in positions. I'm sure there are many more.

15 hosta were in the top 25 on all three lists - many of these are/were Hosta of the Year.

Paul

o

Thanks, Paul

bkay

o

Thanks for the list, Paul. And for including the last polls. The best thing I see is that there were many more people voting this time, GW Hosta forum is growing!

chris

o

I totally forgot about Queen of the Seas- I would have had it on my list. So Queen of the Seas +1 ;)

o

Interesting, so thanks, even though there are some 'science' issues.

Most interesting, for me, is the position of the next two years HOTY's in this list.

I rest my case ;-)

Then again, we all already know that THAT process is 'commercial', . . .

Thanks for the fun,

hh

o

bump

o

Thought this might be a good thread to bump to the top as people are making their hosta shopping lists.

Paul

o

Paul
What a great list and thanks for the bump up. I find I was looking on the list and either have a bunch or they are on a want list. Now to check it out farther. My list has grown from about 7 to 20 plus but where to put them ???
Faye

o

How timely for this list to reappear. Great job Paul - many many people will benefit from all your hard work. I'm making additions to 'the list', and waiting for spring...
Jan

o

Thanks for making this list! I have added a number of choices to my wish list for shopping this year based on the list:
Touch of Class
Queen of the Seas
Komodo Dragon
Atlantis
Golden Meadows

Now if only I can find them locally, that is the hard part. There is a place about 45 mins away that I have never been to, but they are a hosta nursery, so I am super excited to go there on April 27, list in hand!!

o

Bump

A thread is active about 'Top 25ers that you really don't care for?' using the AHS poll, here's another poll from 2012 with GW Hosta Forum posters voting.

Link below to actual voting.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2012 Top 100 Hosta Poll

o

It is good to keep track of these polls historically. Also, my gardening objectives change and the ones I vote for may change as well.

This year, my estimation of June went up by several numbers. Also, I'd rate it with Teatime and English Sunrise, having been enlightened by JO about choosing to make a nice grouping of those three related hosta. It is definitely a winner.

However, I note that Mama plantaginea received only THREE VOTES....I can bet on two votes being from DonB and MOI, but was JO around in 2012? She would likely vote on it. To have a species hosta in the top 100 is quite an accomplishment, even at the lower levels.

I also note that Guacamole received 19 votes. I translate that to mean DonB (aka GuacDon) has a large family willing to participate in the vote process! ;?] Hey, it's a fragrant and deserves every vote!

I guess we wait two more years for the 2016 vote, to see if any of the recent introductions make it to the Top List on the forum and/or the AHS Top 25.

o

"Getting to know you".... hehehe, Mocc, you BET your hostas I would have voted, and will next time around..I joined June 18, 2013 and missed that opportunity.

Mama P. definitely would have gotten my vote as she has "elevated status and seniority" in my garden - my very first introduction to fragrant hosta which was gifted to me by my daughter's mother-in-law back in 2006. Plantagenea is super special also because she has the status extraordinaire - isn't she the only hosta that does not require dormancy and can grow all year round, not to mention being the star of hotter climates? This hosta will always have major clout. :-)

Jo

Now I'm going to read the list again.

o

The most glaring omission in 2008 was Plantagenea, IMO.

o

Jo, I did not catch that Mama was missing in 2008.

So apparently two additional votes made the difference for her in 2012. I arrived on the scene in late 2011, and I remember voting even though I did not know 100 hosta at the time. I voted anyway with what I knew and liked.

By 2016 there should be a ground swell of support for Mama P with all the new acolytes and priestesses of the fragrant flora paying homage to her importance in hosta culture.

o

Well, I WOULD have voted for plantaginea in 2012 Mocc, but this thread was started about 1 month before I found and joined the GW hosta forum.

23 'Guacamole' plants accounted for, starting to poke their pips skyward. ; )

Don B.

o

Don, are they all planted in the same area? The impact of that I can only imagine. Did you see Brandy's beauty? I thought my young'un was splendid till I saw hers! Hosta envy! Holy Guacamole!

o

Hi Jo,

My 'Guacamole' are split up between the front and back yards. So two groups of 'em. They were all pretty small last year, so maybe we'll get some nice progress for this season. : )

Don B.

o

Ah, DonB, I worked with a guy who had 4 sons, and instead of names he referred to each as #1 Son, #2 Son, etc. Are you doing that with your Guacs? ;?]
(tell me have I created a new Smiley face?) ;?]

...but I digress.

o

A great smiley face, Mocc! I particularly like that he's got a Karl Malden/W.C. Fields/Richard Nixon shnozzola goin' on. I don't believe I've seen that particular emoticon before. : )

Maybe I'll name 'em after famous Bobs, Starting with my first 'Guacamole' I purchased. Then on down the line..
1. Bob Solberg
2. Bob Marley
3. Bob Axmear
4. Bob DeNiro etc.....Or just number 'em. Famous Bobs aren't exactly popping into my head. I'll have pics of 'em when they leaf out. They dodged the frozen bullet from last week that turned unfurling shoots to goo.

Don B.

o

Ya ya ya pics are good! Bring them on...hey, you say you have 23...I'll bet there are easily 23 of us with a Guacamole - follow me? But your Bobs are more famous ... Or you could just assign a letter to your Guacamoles....for example, Mocc Guacamole could be MG, I could be JG, Brandy could be BG and so on... I know, you're thinking I've gone over the edge. I'll be ok when I can see pips in my outside pots. Till then....well.... it's just a suggestion...just as amber is a suggestion on a traffic light, lol.

o

One not to forget is BOB REDFORD....sigh.......
But you need to include Batman in your list of names.

I like that nose on the emoticon too. A caricature of my DH.
The question mark is a nice touch. From the side view, and only ONE nostril showing. hehehehe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here