Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jarih

Can you give a name TC Elegans sport?

jarih Hynninen
11 years ago

We have here only one lab that makes TC hostas. There is about 15 species of hostas under produce. These are basics: Francee, Halcyon, Stiletto, Fire and Ice Sum and Substance... and sieb Elegans. So this what I found must be some kind of sport. It is not possible that labels have changed. Last year I found Marschino Cherry and Paradise on Fire.

This is Elegans sport. I hope this holds it's colour in center leaf.

Here is my June in cloudy day. It looks like "normal" June.

Here is second year tc, same lab product June.

Is this only a baby?

Comments (9)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I've seen other Junes that look like that, although they tend to be in more sun. You have to give it time to see what it looks like. That's true of all sports including that Elegans sport you seem to have. You want to know if it's unique and it's garden worthy before considering introducing it. So it needs time in the garden.

Elegans doesn't sport very much, so if it is a sport it would likely be unique. Put it in your garden and see if it continues to do well. If you get enough growth, I would divide it so that you have more than one plant. You don't want a one-of-a-kind plant to be destroyed by voles or some other calamity.

Good luck with it. I hope it turns out great.

Steve

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hi

do you know how to look up data on myhosta.net??

go to june at the library ... then up above the pix ... there is a link ... which i have put below ...

you will see that june fever is the yg sport... yellow green ...

and that is what yours looks like ... IMHO

it is my position.. that you should grow plants to maturity.. to find out what they really look like.. before we MIGHT be able to ID it for you ... especially in regard to the elegans ...

now.. if you are asking if you can name it .. well.. it would be my same position.. we surely do not need a new name on a same plant.. a look alike as some call it ...

of course.. the problem is.. that it can take 5 to 10 years for an elegans to mature.. and that is a long time ...

i am surprised.. that there are no sports listed for elegans ... at myhosta .... as i know there are many out there.. including george smith .. which it is suggested.. is the same as great expectations ....

whether or not yours matures into something like that is unknown .... your plant is so young.. and you are so close to the north pole.. as compared to us.. that it is entirely possible.. that you have a white centered plant.. that just isnt coloring up properly ...

i know there are some yellow centered plants of elegans.. of which.. they are all slipping my mind ... maybe chris can chime in on this ... if not steve or paul ... or anyone else ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Check for Elegans sports also under sieboldiana Elegans - 46 listed. Evidently Myhostas is using older name.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: myhostas - sports

• idiothe
    11 years ago

June Fever is not a sport from June... it is a sport from Devon Green. This is important as Devon Green sported from Halcyon without the wax gene that gives most Halcyon their bluishness.

Devon Green is very green. June Fever is very shiny yellow and green margin with no wax, no blush... The plant pictured has the wax gene...

As to the listing on sports for Elegans... its a problem with naming. Go down the list at Myhosta and you'll find the listing under sieboldiana Elegans... forty some named sports so far!

Elegans is supposedly a selection from sieboldiana - apparently the species is slightly different though all those big sieboldiana blues look pretty much alike to me.

I believe the current status is that H. 'Elegans' is correct usage... but somehow it got on the Myhosta list in both places...

I certainly wouldn't name any sport of Elegans until I found that it was 1) unique [highly unlikely with all the named ones already] and 2) that it doesn't get unsightly "burn" - the bane of the sieboldiana clan when they develop lighter tissue...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

see link .. i looked under 'elegans'.. it was linked to sieboldiana 'elegans' ..

to clarify ... there isnt really an 'elegans' ... back in the 60's and 70's .. they thought they came true from seed ...

and come to find out.. a few decades later.. everyone's MATURE elegans.. looks different .. lol ...

so frankly.. i dont even know.. why they would allow it to be named ... since mine is probably not even yours..

let alone trying to discuss sports of everyone's different plant ...

what a nightmare ... lol

as to the other.. i simply meant to suggest that it looked like june fever ... and whats that all about.. why the heck name it after june.. when it isnt even from June.. directly.. it takes an idiot to figure out that logic ... lol ... and i wonder why myhosta tells us its a June sport ... hmmmmmm .. whatever.. it looks similar ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: what the heck

• eclecticcottage
    11 years ago

My "June" looks a lot like your second one. Mine is a small, young plant. The nursery I got it from, which specializes in Hosta, said it would change as it grows. We'll see in a few years, lol.

• idiothe
    11 years ago

well... no surprise lots of folks think it is a June sport based on the name... and the fact that it was registered as a sport of June! The registration was an error - not sure why the registrants haven't corrected it.

June Fever is a pretty good grower and gives a really bright shiny show in early spring... looks good all season

This photo is from 2 years ago - early season... June Fever in the top row between its "aunts" First Frost and El Nino. Farther to the left is Olympic Sunrise - a "first cousin" by way of Katherine Lewis... and on the far right, another "aunt" - the small High Society

• idiothe
    11 years ago

This is what June used to look like... back in 1996 in some of the first batches of American tc.

Yes, I know... June varies a lot depending on light conditions. I've grown perhaps a hundred of them. But there is also a great range within the plant line itself. Some of them color up later and less than the others. I believe these are the "true" June as it was originally selected in England.

My theory is that there was a "culling bias". Most hostas in the US are sold in spring. The folks selecting the June plants to move on would naturally select the brighter colored babies so they would look good in the pots earlier...

I prefer the subtle colors. Note this June gets good light and this was taken on July 1 in a year when the hostas are blooming 3-4 weeks ahead of normal...

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Now that's the June I want, Idiothe. I have a couple of 2nd year TC's and it doesn't look like they're going to have nearly that much blue.

Jarih, I wonder how your loooong summer days factor into the coloring of your hosta?