Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jadie88

Anything special about Klehm's hostas?

jadie88
10 years ago

Hi all,

Anyone order hosta from Klehm's Song Sparrow nursery?

I am a Klehm's catalog junkie, and wondered what their hosta are like? In general they are a fair bit pricier than our "forum favorite" suppliers...do they sell bigger plants for the higher price, or is it just because they are fancy-pants Klehm's so they can charge more? :)

I got a gift certificate there that I plan to use on peonies, but naturally I can't resist browsing the hostas...

Comments (8)

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Well, the hosta sale there ends today, so shop fast if thats what you want. I purchased hosta from them on a similar sale in 2010. They are good sized, better than say, Naylor, In the Country or Jims. I don't know that they beat Hallson's or the dealers who send mature divisions. This year I ordered a Ginko, and some Geum on their 15% sale. They were perfectly packed. I didn't like the shape of the Ginko, especially the leader, and customer service went out of there way to get me one that was nicely shaped. So in my opinion you pay more for nice plants, great web site/catalog and outstanding customer service. Plus one day shipping for me, Wisconsin to Minnesota

Disclaimer - I have only ordered from then twice, 2010 and 2013.

Beverly

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Jadie .....any recommendations on peonies? I haven't ordered any online but would like some for spots too sunny for Hosta. How long would the 3-5 eye bare root take before blooming?
    Thanks

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I'm no peony expert... but we're pretty impressed with the new "intersectional" hybrids... from Itoh. They are a cross between tree peonies and the traditional herbaceous peonies.

The first one to hit wide distribution was Bartzella... we got some wholesale back in 2010. Klehm lists them as Tree Peonies but they make a lovely, sturdy bush here in Minnesota.

Klehm's catalog has always been inspirational - but they are a high-end retailer for people willing to pay top dollar. I sold Bartzellas last year for $40. (Not advertising - I'm not selling any peonies... it was a one-time thing...). Here's the page for the Itoh's

http://www.songsparrow.com/2013/plantlist.cfm?type=all&startrow=1&pagetype=plantlist&subtype=itoh,

• jadie88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also no big expert myself, but lets see... I like Bowl of Beauty, Sarah Bernhardt, Coral Charm, Coral Supreme, Coral Sunset (yep, I like the corals :), Raspberry Sundae, Pillow Talk, Do Tell, Duchesse de Nemours, and Charlie's White. Bartzella is very beautiful, but I've never grown it myself.

I've had 3-5 eye crowns put out a few blooms the first year, but they really get going after 2-3 years. I havent planted any peonies at my new house, so I ordered several varieties from Gilbert H. Wild's current sale.

• donrawson
    10 years ago

Check out Adelman Peony Gardens. I have never placed an order with them, but they faithfully send me their catalog every year. Very large selection. I plan to order a couple in the future.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

The Intersectionals of Itoh Peonies are expensive but stunningly beautiful and need no staking. Here's a picture of one I bought called Singing in the Rain.

Steve

• jadie88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, Steve...that photo justifies the price tag! Just lovely.

• ginny12
    10 years ago

I have always had good results from Klehm's. And I have to add that they were selling perennials and holding the perennials "torch" aloft when perennials were hard to find. Just a few paper catalogs had much to offer, including Klehm's.