Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

12 New Ones Purchased Yesterday

hostanista
10 years ago

Visited a local hosta nursery yesterday (Shades of Green in Aylmer, Ontario). Had a list with me. Wanted to (try to) contain myself and purchase only 2 or 3. Husband laughed at that. Knows me too well. I was soooo excited to see their 600+ varieties (I literally jump up and down to the amusement of the staff) - I could have spent all day there! Will definitely go back.

Came out with a dozen, some on my list, others not so much. But my little old mum was with me (visiting from out of town) and she picked out 3 for me as a little gift. Her choices: Nate the Great, Hi Ho Silver, and City Lights.

Also got (from the list): Andrew, American Halo, American Hero, Jimmy Crack Corn, Cutting Edge, Niagara Falls, Pandora's Box. Threw in at the last minute (not on the list): August Moon, Pineapple Punch.

So far my fav in the group is American Hero, pictured here.

Comments (22)

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Hostapalooza. Well done.

Paul

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

600+?? I've seen that variety before (in my dreams). Sounds like an amazing place.

Don B.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Hostanista, you're a tease - 12 hostas and 1 pic.....I came back expecting to see the rest of the pics.

And bless your mom, she understands your affliction. Tell her you're getting therapy at the GW hosta forum.

Paul

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 11:26

• User
    10 years ago

'Nista, you won't be let off the hook until we see some of the new guys. This is a treat because not many orders are arriving by mail, and we are left with folks who can pick them up by the dozen! You are so fortunate to have such a nursery within driving distance.

We'll be waiting patiently until the pics show up.....(tap tap tap tap)........ :)

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow. You guys are slave drivers. Not on Flickr or Photo Bucket, so here come the other 11 hostas one by one. I'm pleased to oblige!

Here's American Halo. I had American Hero on my list. I think I got mixed up when I saw American Halo and put it on my cart. It's not really wowing me. I hope I learn to love it.

This post was edited by Hostanista on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 18:52

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's Andrew. Saw this one a while ago on this forum as a mature specimen and loved the curl. It'll be a while yet for this baby to mature but worth the wait, I'm sure.

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

August Moon. Used to have this one at my former property. Always liked it. Great colour.

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

City Lights. This was mom's first pick. Good choice I think.

This post was edited by Hostanista on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 18:47

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cutting Edge. Love this one already. Only gonna get better with age. Like wine. And women. Yes, us women.

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Ho Silver. The 2nd of mom's picks. I really like this little guy. Will only get to be about 10"x16" I think, but very noticeable in the garden.

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jimmy Crack Corn. First time I saw this one (not in person just a photo) I went "OOOOOOOOOO!" Knew I had to have it.

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mom's 3rd pick was Nate the Great because she liked the name. It's quite big already. I don't recall seeing anyone else post pics of Nate the Great so not sure if this one is going to wow me.

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Niagara Falls. Everybody loves this one. It's scrawny now but I can wait a couple of seasons.

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pandora's Box has been on my mini wish list for a while. Don't have any others except Blue Mouse Ears. So PB has been planted right next to BME. Photo is a bit deceiving, it is really small but looks big in the photo. I want to get more minis and do a pot landscape thing. Anyone have any favourite minis?

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pineapple Punch. HAD to put this one on the cart the minute I saw it. No hesitation whatsoever.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Great haul. Love your choices and thanks for the pictures. I really like the Jimmy Crack Corn and City Lights. This year, I seem to be drawn to the yellow/chartreuse ones more than in the past and those pictures show why! :)

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Thanks for taking time to post the photos. American Halo - big leaf with wide margins looks good.

Paul

• Lee
    10 years ago

I'm loving your American Hero, and you'll like American Halo.. Here mine.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Hostanista, great hostas and they are all a decent size. One of my life long friends lives in St. Thomas. Jimmy Crack Corn looks just great and based on Melati's pic - American Halo is going to be a standout!
    I noticed that you had their names on little rocks already, too. Very organized.

• irawon
    10 years ago

Hostanista, those are beautiful specimens. I think you will have success with Pandora's Box, whereas others may have failed.

My Cutting Edge surprised me re the size it has attained.

Melati, your American Halo has blown me away. I want one now.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Nice plants! The place I got most of mine the guy digs and sells his own plants, and I get one lousy eye. Your American Halo is bigger than my three year old. I think you'll like it, even if it takes a while to grow. I've been happy with American Hero, although it's not growing fast, either. Cutting Edge and City Lights have been good growers and look good, too. You'll be showing them off, esp. Cutting Edge.

Hi Ho Silver is cool, think I want one.

• User
    10 years ago

Never saw Hi Ho Silver before, but now it is looking quite interesting. May I suggest you also look at Verna Jean and White Dove? Two similar and small hosta which come highly recommended.

Also, if you wish to create a photo account with Flickr or Photobucket, you can begin with a free account, and see if that is sufficient. I'd recommend Flickr which is easier for me than Photobucket, which has made changes lately that don't make it easy. In either case, you look for the HTML code.