Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardening on a hillside

Posted by zkathy 7a NC (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 8:05

This was going to be year three of a five year garden renovation until I discovered hostas last year and decided to expand up the hillside into the woods. Now I figure I'm in year three of a ten year project.

This is what got done since last summer.
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardening on a hillside

Oh, I love that! Im a total sucker for stacked stone beds and a walking trail. You have a great backyard. What are those grass clumps, are they a type of sedge? And what is that tall red flowing plant? Love that.

o

i like the stone... and the lack of grass.. crikey.. cant even use my best grass joke.. lol ...

i like the way.. you used the stone.. to make terracing ... to ease watering ...

did the rock come from the property.. or are you getting all buffed up.. moving stone ... that is tough work ... in volume ...

Gods work.. keep at it .... you are winning ...

ken

o

Nice results for all that work.

bk

o

Very nice! I also love the stonework. I think your hostas will be very happy. And you have so much room for many more hostas - I'm jealous!

o

Stone borders, stone walls that start out of sight and meander along like a lazy stream, pines, a few accents.....I'm feeling weak.

Jon

o

Absolutely beautiful! I LOVE this.

What you've done is very similar to what I was envisioning for a hillside of my own. Yours is a couple of years ahead of mine. :o)

Please post more pictures!

o

Fantastic rock work! LOVE your gardens, zkathy....a nice mix of textures and colors. Very, very pretty.

o

Thanks for the compliments!

Marta, I posted this for you. It's great fun, enjoy transforming your hillside.

Bungalowmonkeys, the grasses are some sort of carex and cheap, under $4 apiece. The red flower is Cardinal flower, I don't know the Latin name and I didn't know it would be that tall.

Ken, this whole hill is sand and sand rock. I have to buy the rocks and the dirt for the beds. I place the beds to impound any rainwater. Grass is creeping up the hill slowly so I guess eventually I'll have a lawn. I hate it, but DH will just have to cut it. I try to leave enough space between the beds for a riding lawn mower to fit.

Kathy

o

Talk about good drainage, you sure have that. I like the way you can see things better like it is a natural ampitheater. I bet all those pine trees make a wonderful sighing music for you working on your hillside.

Lovely garden! GREAT job of it.

o

Looks fantastic, Kathy. Love it.

Great work!

Don B.

o

Gorgeous!!! I'd be constructing me a little log cabin on the left so I could sleep with the hosta! It's incredible, zKathy! You must love it!

Jo

o

Great start to a future hosta heaven! I'm surprised any grass will grow on those paths anyway - too shady. But perfect for our little friends!

o

Very nice! It looks like you've gotten a lot done in a short time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here