Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zkathy

Gardening on a hillside

zkathy z7a NC
9 years ago

This was going to be year three of a five year garden renovation until I discovered hostas last year and decided to expand up the hillside into the woods. Now I figure I'm in year three of a ten year project.

This is what got done since last summer.
Kathy

Comments (13)

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Oh, I love that! Im a total sucker for stacked stone beds and a walking trail. You have a great backyard. What are those grass clumps, are they a type of sedge? And what is that tall red flowing plant? Love that.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i like the stone... and the lack of grass.. crikey.. cant even use my best grass joke.. lol ...

i like the way.. you used the stone.. to make terracing ... to ease watering ...

did the rock come from the property.. or are you getting all buffed up.. moving stone ... that is tough work ... in volume ...

Gods work.. keep at it .... you are winning ...

ken

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Nice results for all that work.

bk

• sandysoil_2008 6A Near Boston
    9 years ago

Very nice! I also love the stonework. I think your hostas will be very happy. And you have so much room for many more hostas - I'm jealous!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Stone borders, stone walls that start out of sight and meander along like a lazy stream, pines, a few accents.....I'm feeling weak.

Jon

• marta_in_qc z4
    9 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I LOVE this.

What you've done is very similar to what I was envisioning for a hillside of my own. Yours is a couple of years ahead of mine. :o)

Please post more pictures!

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Fantastic rock work! LOVE your gardens, zkathy....a nice mix of textures and colors. Very, very pretty.

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the compliments!

Marta, I posted this for you. It's great fun, enjoy transforming your hillside.

Bungalowmonkeys, the grasses are some sort of carex and cheap, under $4 apiece. The red flower is Cardinal flower, I don't know the Latin name and I didn't know it would be that tall.

Ken, this whole hill is sand and sand rock. I have to buy the rocks and the dirt for the beds. I place the beds to impound any rainwater. Grass is creeping up the hill slowly so I guess eventually I'll have a lawn. I hate it, but DH will just have to cut it. I try to leave enough space between the beds for a riding lawn mower to fit.

Kathy

• User
    9 years ago

Talk about good drainage, you sure have that. I like the way you can see things better like it is a natural ampitheater. I bet all those pine trees make a wonderful sighing music for you working on your hillside.

Lovely garden! GREAT job of it.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Looks fantastic, Kathy. Love it.

Great work!

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!!! I'd be constructing me a little log cabin on the left so I could sleep with the hosta! It's incredible, zKathy! You must love it!

Jo

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Great start to a future hosta heaven! I'm surprised any grass will grow on those paths anyway - too shady. But perfect for our little friends!

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Very nice! It looks like you've gotten a lot done in a short time.