Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnjdm

My first Hosta Bed

tnjdm
9 years ago

I thought it would be cool to document the building of my first Hosta bed amongst so many experts. By looking at all the beautiful picks and discussions on the board, I am really getting bitten. I spent the last couple of years concentrating on my Bermuda lawn and now that it's really nice, so I need to hit an area that is mostly shaded.
-Approximately 350 sq. ft.
-Gets sun for 2 1/2 to 3 hours (from 4/4:30 to 7pm)
-Ground is relatively soft I feed my lawn predominately with Organics
-Doing the first till this week to add amendments
-Planned on starting with 23 Hosta that I can get in 1 Gallon Containers (I live about 30 miles from a town that bills itself as the "Nursery Capital of the World")

Threw a pick of the area. I have a layout, but couldn't figure how to add multiple pics. I look forward to any tips or tricks as I go along.

Comments (55)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I'd think twice about Great Expectations and Frances Williams. As we've discussed many times, they do best in zone 5. GE may not survive elsewhere. FW burns easily. The others you mention are workhorses and should do well for you.

In zone 6, you may be cool enough to make them work, though. I hope so. They are both beautiful hosta.

bk

• tnjdm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks bkay (and TNChristine).

There coming off my back-up list, great Info for a newbie.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

In my Zone 6, Great Expectations is growing fine. It is about 3 years old now. It is a slower grower--but healthy.

I think you 'll find a lot of different opinions on GT.

Kate

• User
    9 years ago

I have to laugh at the burnt edge comments when I see it regarding Frances Williams. I have several FW, all in very shaded spots and one in a fair bit of sun.
    One in the shade is looking okay-ish. Two in the shade are burnt at the edges. And the one in the sun is big and perfect. Go figure!
    As for great expectations, I had one in the ground in a shaded spot and it was so pathetic I almost weeded it by accident one day. So I dug it out of the ground and put in a pot, like it was going to ICU. Now it's doing well in the pot in quite a bit of sun.
    Looking back, I would have made choices other than FW and GE, but to me now, as long as they're still alive, I'll just view it as a challenge to see if I can get them big and healthy.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

My GE is also doing well ~ finally. Got it as a plug about 4 years ago and growth was glacial until earlier this year, when I dug it up, cleaned out all the tree roots and replanted it in the same hole along with a larger, box store GE. My little one just took off in a fantastic growth spurt after that and now looks happy for the first time.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Personally when designing the bed as a whole i would try to avoid any straight lines. Mother nature does not grow in straight lines. So, curved lines on the edges of the beds are always more pleasing to the eye.

Sherry

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

People forget that Lakeside hostas originally came from Ooltewah Tennessee,and Mary Chastain grew some pretty good ones! Just my opinion. Phil

• tnjdm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Phil,

So I assume the "Mary's" I'm going to visit is the one your noting?

Anyway, off and running. I know someone mentioned probably not tilling, but I already had it rented, never used one, and just couldn't resist hurting myself.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

And away it gooeeeesss!!!! Damned beautiful property you have there. Have fun, please show us pics when you get it done...

Cheers,
    Don B.

• JANE100
    9 years ago

WOW!! That's an estate . Building my new Hosta bed now too, but nowhere near what you are doing. That's going to be gorgeous when finished. Can't wait to see pics when it's done.

• tnjdm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments Don and Jane.

Prep is done and heading off to get the Hosta next Friday.

Appreciate all's input to this point. I'll throw something up next week. Real excited after continuing to read the board and see such beautiful specimen that this forum throws up there. That's only second to your passions!

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

And let the games begin! I have only one first bed but at least a dozen LAST beds but so much fun!
    Beautiful grounds you have! Keep the pictures coming too

• User
    9 years ago

Hi there TNJD!
    Oh boy, I cannot wait until you discover the pictures of the Hosta Liberty mass planted across the front of a home and everyone went gaga over it. Lovely plants too. I can tell from the care with which you keep your front shrubbery that you will obsess over hosta as well. And you look young enough to grow them to maturity, and wind up creating some of your own varieties. Hostas kind of grab you and don't let go, if you have read long on this forum.

Have fun, hostas respond nicely to the kind of attention you like to give.

PS. May I suggest you add a Liberty to your backups? Might as well do it now, I see many Liberty hosta in your future!

• tnjdm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah Moccasin, I do have that liberty in the initial list, but not sure about that statement that I'll be around for a while is valid. I think the flying dirt during that tilling masked my extremely gray hair :). I am feeling that obsession creeping on fast. Today while finishing up the bed I looked at my better half and said, "I wonder if we should add few more to our initial list..........

Since you are even much further south than me, I have read many of your posts while preparing for this venture.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

If Mary's Greenhouse is Mary Chastain, start scarfing up hosta. She ought to have some beauties.

She retired a few years ago and "sold" her business. Rumor has it she never received any payment for the sale of Lakeside Hostas. If it's one and the same, you may be able to buy some original stock that doesn't come from tissue culture.

bk

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Mary's Greenhouse is a different "Mary". I looked at the website. They sell a LOT of different kinds of plants there. Just a word of caution, be sure to have a chat with them regarding their practices to prevent selling hostas with HVX. Welcome to the forum! Soon you will be tearing up even more of that lawn! Hooray for hostas.

-Babka

• epw0946
    9 years ago

I wish the Garden Web had a button for LIKE!!! This is going to be beautiful!!

• tnjdm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, didn't think I would have that much fun shopping as I hate to do it! Ready to put in the ground tomorrow, layout the micro-sprinkler system, and pine bark nugget it up.

Went with the intention of picking up 23 and ended up getting 29. 1 Krossa Regal and 2 each Gold Standard, Sun Power, Sum& Substance, Paul's Glory, Liberty, Halcyon, Orange Marmalade, Guacamole, Stained Glass (looks good size in the pick), Patriot, June, Blue Angel, Loyalist, 2 Island Breeze.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Don't tell me - Krossa Regal is the one in the center with the huge scape. My collection is small but I have everything you have pictures except Loyalist and Isand Breeze. They are all beautiful and for me easy to grow, I also have the 'cuts', GE which I'm still not sure about and Francis Williams which is probably the biggest and most beautiful in my garden (little dessication burn but not enough to mar the beauty of the plant).

Enjoy your planting. I'm sure it will be spectacular next year.
    Barb

• tnjdm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is the KR. Funny Barb, Island Stream and Loyalist weren't on my original list but Island Stream caught my, and the bosses, eye and loyalist as I liked the opposite look from the patriot. I believe it looks like Fire and Ice, but may get a little bigger. Didn't read a lot of glowing reviews on it here, but figure I'm going to lose some anyway and will have to try others (or add of course :))

GE and FW were on my back-up list, but one I can't get out of my mind from this morning is Summer Breeze. After looking at further pictures, I'll be thinking about that one for a while.

John

• jan_on zone 5b
    9 years ago

Oh John, you are in for a glorious ride. Your new hostas look great, and growing them is going to give you a lot of pleasure. I have almost all of your choices and I love them every one. And Summer Breeze is another favourite. - you won't regret adding it to your collection. You have all of the infrastructure to become a true addict lol! Hope we will hear from you often on the forum!
    Jan

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Off to a great start, John. : )

Don B.

• tnjdm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jan and Don. I think that addiction is started. Happened with my front lawn a couple of years ago and I seemed to have replaced my golf and beer addiction with that (well the golf anyway). Now, I plan on being on this site a lot continuing to learn from all you experts.

Besides that, I couldn't leave as I would miss some of Ken's Tourettes postings (lol).

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Beer goes well with hostas.

• irawon
    9 years ago

That's a terrific looking bunch of hostas!

I have to confess that I lost Loyalist but my Orange Marmelade is rebounding with more sun.

You won't regret getting Summer Breeze, if you do...does well even under my red maple.

Happy hosta planting, TNJDM!

• irawon
    9 years ago

Sorry for the redundant message.

This post was edited by irawon on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 19:57

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

" Ken's Tourettes postings..."

That's pretty damn funny!!! You made me spit my drink on my keyboard! LMAO!!!

Don B.

• tnjdm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well got the plants in the ground yesterday, put the micro-sprinkler in and mulch today. That was one hell of a 3 weeks!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

John, that looks so great!! Nice spacing, you lucky man!
    I have all except for maybe 3 of them. Great choices and you will LOVE Summer Breeze...also new for me this year and a real pleasing eye catcher! So...I agree with Irawon...go on and get it.....make it an even 30! Lol

That bed will be amazing in the spring with all the various coloured pips poking up.....then all the new growth. Excited for you! Now sit back and enjoy...

Jo

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

What a beautiful view you have from that hosta bed. Is all that in the pic your property or a park? The view from my front yard takes in my neighbours RV which sits in their driveway all summer. How I would prefer your view!

• tnjdm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jo and Barb. I think I have a good space for the Summer Breeze, along with a few giants. A pick from the road. Looks like I'll be busy next spring :)

• tnjdm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And from the porch.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Again, beautiful grounds! I have come to realize that the term "less is more" has no relevance and should never apply to hostas, lol!

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Beautiful piece of property. Wish I had that much space.

• lesmc
    9 years ago

I am so excited for you. Your property is lovely and your new hosta bed will be a beautiful addition. I have wandered over here from rose forum and am falling in love with the hosta pictures. I also have shade and am considering starting a hosta bed. Everyone is so nice on this site. Lots of info and encouragement. Have fun with your new babies! Lesley

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

John, wow what a spectacular property you have! You will be able to plant hostas for years to come.

Leslie, I have noticed the same thing. This is a wonderful forum - everyone is so positive and supportive of each other - with a good sense of humour thrown in!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous site and sooo much room to expand. I think you are going to find it irresistible to expand back around towards the street, nice free form islands around those other trees...WOW...are you in trouble.

Jon

• tnjdm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the nice input. Excites me to now be a part of this forum.

Of course, being a newbie, already have a question. Can I assume I'll need to water my new babies pretty much everyday for a couple weeks until they "root".

Thanks

John

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

As potted hosta, they are used to everyday watering. Their roots have not expanded into the soil yet. So, yes, I would water everyday, especially while it's hot.

Great job!

bk

• tnjdm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks bkay.

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    8 years ago

Would love to see an updated photo of the beautiful hosta bed you created.

• koffman99
    8 years ago

Where in Tennessee are you ? Beautiful place you have there.

• tnjdm
    Original Author
    8 years ago

They were updated photos Donna. I'm in Tullahoma koffman

• koffman99
    8 years ago

Ahh the place where they make baseball bats. I'm in Jackson, home of Carl Perkins. Lol

• timhensley
    8 years ago

Oh my gosh. I lived in Lexington and worked in Jackson for many years. I've wanted to move back to Jackson for a long time.

• koffman99
    8 years ago

Well I'll be. Small World.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    8 years ago

What a nice property you have to work with. You've shown great restraint in how far apart you've planted. Something I have trouble doing. :-)

As I started reading, I was so hoping there was an update at the end. Thanks for showing the progress so far. I hope to see them again as they grow bigger and bigger.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

many hosta have a waxy.. glaucous coating on the leaves .. overhead watering.. especially in the heat of summer.. can wear such off .. totally changing some hosta coloration ...

if you ever decide to switch out to a drip line.. look at techline products ... see link below ...

i use a mile of it around the house ... some of it just off a garden hose.. as its self regulating .....

sounds like a commercial ... but it isnt ...

also ... what trees did you till under ... i did that once.. barely lived to regret it ... as the trees... after a few years.. took back over with roots ... did you disturb a lot of roots???

regardless.. sublime job ... hard work pays off... and you are apparently a worker bee.. lol ...

ken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCSYeCyuM3c

• tnjdm
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank Ken. I did buy drippers for the system I already have. Just haven't had time to put them in yet. Hoping the tilling I did doesn't awaken them roots

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022