Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bungalowmonkeys

Your combos with a blue hosta in it are?

BungalowMonkeys
9 years ago

Got ahead of my self and purchased a few blue hostas from Naylor Creek before their spots in the garden were ready. We just finished the fence that the bed will line and hopefully it is complete when the hostas arrive. Have to purchase more hostas to help fill in the area and am looking for some inspiration. While searching posts, saw a pic that had Neptune, Maya Swingset, and June as a combo. Was beautiful! Would love to see some of your favorite combos that have a blue hosta in it.

Comments (19)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

Have to purchase more hostas to help fill in the area

==>> key words being: HAVE TO ... lol ....

i always put a yellow next to a blue ...

ken

• sandysoil_2008 6A Near Boston
    9 years ago

As usual, Ken is spot on. Here's my NOID blue next to Fat Cat.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

From left to right: Katherine Lewes, First Frost, Awakening Angel, Dancing Queen

DD

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 16:33

• mctavish
    9 years ago

This might be the one you were thinking of. I have Maya Swingtime, Neptune, June and Nippers together. The picture I posted before was from May. Here is one from July.

Here's another combo. The blue is Blueberry Muffin with various green's and yellows around it.

ps. I love the name Maya Swingset. Someone should use it.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Have a Fragrant Blue planted with a Cerveza that looks nice. I agree, chartreuse/yellows always look great matched with blues.

Don B.

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

I just purchased 'Daybreak and Mango Tango to plant with my Blueberry Muffins after seeing some of Paul's photos. He has a great eye for color combo's, I hope he chimes in.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Here is Halcyon with Tokudama Flavocircinalis. I love that the blues in both are so close in colour. I haven't tried the blues with the yellows but they sure look nice. I have most of my yellows and golds in full sun since my shade is so limited.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

I think most colors next to a blue go well, except another blue or a blue-green.

Here's Blue Hawaii with a variety of colors.

Paul

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

I think an all blue outfit is fine!

Top to bottom: Blueberry Muffin, Blue Silver, Blue Jay and Blue Ivory. June peaking in from one side and Touch of Class peaking in from the other.
    Kathy

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken - the hubby hung on the "have to" as well when we were talking about the plan.

Such beautiful pics. Looks like I have to order some gold/bright green hostas. Love the all blue bed as well, works with the different leaf shapes and textures.

Mctavish - that is exactly the pic. Found the older photo when I was searching for hosta color combos. Before two months ago had no idea that hostas came in colors other than green and green with a white margin, or different leaf types. It is actually the combo that started my new love of hostas. Maya swingtime is the only one need to have that beautiful trio.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Blueberry 'Stud' Muffin and consorts (GE, Daybreak, June Fever, Mango Tango) .

Paul

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

This is an area of my garden that I call Fern Hill. It gets only 2-3 hours of morning sun, then shade the rest of the day. There are many blues in this area, along with others for accents. Blues going L to R in center of pic: Blueberry Muffin, Deep Blue Sea, Blue Wedgwood, Prairie Sky, Elegans (looking more green). Other hosta: Journey's End, Sun Power, First Frost Autumn Frost, Flue Flame, Great Expectations and others.

As you can see, I love the blues and I think they go with pretty much anything!

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

I like to mix the blues with the wine colors of Heucheras.

Here's Pewterware with Obsidian Heuchera

Dixie Cups with Sugar Plum and Georgia Peach Heucheras

See how the purple tones also make the blues pop? Just something to think about

• mctavish
    9 years ago

This might be the one you were thinking of. I have Maya Swingtime, Neptune, June and Nippers together. The picture I posted before was from May. Here is one from July.

Here's another combo. The blue is Blueberry Muffin with various green's and yellows around it.

ps. I love the name Maya Swingset. Someone should use it.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I love the blue with the purple!

I also like Blues with Japanese or ghost ferns. I have Love Pat in a bed with ferns, and hostas Remember Me and First Frost.

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

Paul - that Blue Hawaii is to die for, and the whole bed looks great..

• User
    9 years ago

I have a trio I call The Three Graces.
    It is June, English Sunrise, and Teatime. Since they have the same DNA, they share similar colors.

English Sunrise, the gold one, is the youngest since I got it this spring at the behest of Josephine67. She was right, it fits beautifully with the color tones.

or

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

this is what I call the ⦠east wing.

All sorts of stuff, including blues, that I will refrain from naming, because it is a combo color garden with blues. They all have tags, but if I get down on the ground to search for them, I may not be able to get back up ⦠ha!

This was an early-july pix

• tnjdm
    9 years ago

You guys and gals are artists!