Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Funkia Lemon Juice

Posted by lavenderlver none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 8:27

Anyone have pictures of a mature plant? Mine's just a baby, but it looks like she's going to be pretty when she grows up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Funkia Lemon Juice

Where did you get this plant? There is no such listing either in the Library or in the Registry. Of course it could be a newly registerd cultivar. Is that really the name or is it Hosta 'Lemon Juice'. Funkia is an archaic term for Hosta that is seldom used these days.

Steve

o

Steve, the tag says Hosta 'Lemon Juice' with Funkia written underneath. It has dark green margins with a creamy white center. I couldn't find much info about it online, so asking here.

o

see link

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Thank you Ken, I did bring up some of those pictures in a google. I'm wondering why there doesn't seem to be much info out there though. Maybe I'm wrong.

Does anyone here have a mature Lemon Juice? Would love to hear how it does and see it in your garden!

o

What they are telling you is that they never heard of a hosta named "lemon Juice". It's not listed in the hosta library. It's also not listed in the Hosta Registry, the place where hosta are generally registered.

That is not a hard and fast rule, but, generally speaking, a hosta is registered with the hosta society before it is introduced in commercial sales. You can look for yourself at http://hostaregistrar.org/ and at the hosta library http://www.hostalibrary.org/ where you can find photos of most registered hosta.

There was a hosta that was not registered, but patented by one of the big wholesale nurseries called Sun Hosta. So, it happens occasionally.

If you will take a photo of the plant and the tag, we'll all get an opportunity to see what it is and help you figure out what you have. A close up of the leaf will help as will pictures of the flowers, if it has any.

WE all like to learn about new hosta.

Bkay

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 19:40

There are quite a few that aren't officially registered with the AHS. It might have originated in Europe. A grower can really just assign a name and print tags and sell it if they wish. So can YOU, if you want to spend the bucks.

Sure would like to see a photo.;-)

Ask the people who sold it to you where they got it...their supplier might have that info or be able to find out.

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here