Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
regattagirl_gw

What is the '10 Foot Rule'?

regattagirl
15 years ago

Okay. Probably a stupid question but if I don't know, usually I'm not the only one.

I've seen folks mention the "10 Foot Rule" and I can make some guesses as to what it means...but I'd like to hear your explanations.

Thanks,

Lisa

Comments (19)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

try the FAQ's ...

but my fingers feel like talking to day .. or would you call this stuttering ... lol

any hosta.. EVEN YOU CAN ID at ten feet ... fits the ten foot rule.. name a few for me ...guardian angel.. sum and substance... etc ...

hosta that EVERYONE can ID at 10 feet.. not just the geeks ...

i have at least 400 green hosta.. that you can barely tell apart without a telescope.. lol ... dont get me wrong.. each is unique.. but you arent going to tell them apart short of dragging the hosta library out to the garden to tell them apart..

make sense...???

now name a few that you know at 10 feet.. if you were walking around someone elses garden .. no fair knowing all your own by name...

please.. everyone else chime in too ...

ken

• regattagirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes everyone please chime in too!

ha ha, even I could ID...? Maybe June, BME and Gunther's Prize (because I'm in love with it), that's about it. I'm a newbie.

p.s. Sorry about not checking FAQs first but I really relish the conversation with the forum.

• mary52zn8tx
    15 years ago

Bridegroom
    Jewel of the Nile
    Krossa Regal
    June
    War Paint in spring
    Blue Umbrellas
    nigrescens
    Golden Meadows in spring
    Sea Fire in spring
    Allegan Fog
    Jade Cascade

• papou
    15 years ago

Papou

• creatingadream
    15 years ago

a few more...

Revolution
    Embroidery
    Niagara Falls
    Pineapple Upsidedown Cake
    Fragrant Bouquet
    Whirlwind
    Blue Mouse Ears
    Golden Tiara
    Montana Aureomarginata
    Rainforest Sunrise
    Risky Business
    Blue Mammoth

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

dont get me wrong.. i dont refer you to the FAQ's for any other reason .... than i am too lazy to retype everything... i will give you the brief outline .. and refer you to further resources.. though apparently i did it bass ackwards today ...

i figured you were a newbie .. just from the question.. but it is apparent .. you are well on the way to total addiction naming 3 so soon ...

i agree the forum is deadish.. compared to previously ... but trust me.. compared to a lot of other forum.. we rock .. lol ...

now go do the right thing.. carpe hostum ...

ken

• lindac
    15 years ago

I beg to differ, Revolution and Clifford's Comet look enough alike to confuse, and Blue mammoth could pass for Elegans at 10 feet.
    I think there are about 60 hosta that would provide a lovely and varied hosta garden. I mean if you have Minute Man do you need patriot?
    And if you have Sagae, do you really need Liberty?...well maybe! LOL!
    Linda c

• regattagirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Too funny linda!!!!!!!!!!

Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs

Level 1: Food, Water, Shelter, Sleep, Hosta

• ofionnachta
    15 years ago

How about Great Expectations?

• regattagirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Papou for posting that snippet...I can see why if you can't tell two apart and you have limited space, well then get something else. Makes sense to me.

• inlimbo
    15 years ago

Yup - nothing new here - but June, Sagae, Liberty, S&S

Fragrant Bouquet, if I could ever keep deer away long enough to actually SEE leaves....

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

I understand the 10 ft rule and I do "think" I recognize some with the 10 ft rule.

Until all the H.'Striptease' sports I could recognize Striptease but I suspect there will be some Striptease registered as distinct but we will start
    to have trouble separating them.

The question will come up quickly; "should they be registered", trust me that is a question for another thread.

Now, I can tell H.'Hanky Panky' from H.'Striptease' even H.'Silver Eagle' but I offer there will be a time when we will start to have trouble with the all the sports.

My H.'Hanky Panky' is making different colors than I remember from last year.

Here is the same Hanky Panky 07-23-08

The same Hanky Panky 06-08 not sure of the exact date.

The same plant Hanky Panky 09-01-07 last year.

• regattagirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

EO....That's really interesting but I guess I could say if a named hosta is showing it's standard form and colors, I'd recognize 'ST' from 10 feet. Whoo hooo, I'm up to 4.

• lindac
    15 years ago

It's easy to see why they called it Hanky Panky...

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

"It's easy to see why they called it Hanky Panky.."
    lindac

I really enjoy hosta that look different in different conditions and different times like H.Paul's Glory' that I think I can recognize at 10ft if the plant is 5 years old even though it is quite different in different conditions.

Although I really don't care if I can name a plant from 10ft period because I like them all on the day I'm looking at them.

Now here is my 10ft rule;
    "I like them all from a 10ft distance."

• arleneb
    15 years ago

I think Kiwi Full Monty qualifies . . .

And, Regattagirl, I suspect good ole' Maslow didn't know about hostas or he would have included them in his original heirarchy -- we know better nowadays!

• starina
    15 years ago

A newbie chiming in. How about Whirlwind and Krossa Regal?

• lindac
    15 years ago

I think Krossa Regal qualifies for the 100 foot rule!

• botanybabe
    15 years ago

I thought I knew the rule, but now I'm confused.

If the NAME is recognizable from 10 feet away it passes the 10 foot rule?

So let me get this straight, if you can read the name from 10 feet it passes the 10 foot rule? So large print markers would make every plant pass the 10 foot rule? That seems like cheating, IMHO.

Embroidery
    Stitch in Time
    Mango Tango
    and other drawstring hostas will always pass the 10 foot rule. This is one reason I really like them, even though I know most hosta critics hate the drawstring effect.

Lainey