Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hippieindenial

What hostas are looking good in your garden today?

TheHostaCottage
9 years ago

Here are a few of mine...

Frisian Waving Steel

Shimmy Shake

Lime Smoothie

Grand Tiara

Vanessa

Comments (63)

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

Your hostas all look so fresh! Mine are already getting a little ragged from slugs, etc.

This one's Gold Standard (OS).

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

Inniswood

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

Sum & Substance - the driveway version, waiting for Limelight to bloom behind them.

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

Tidewater

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

Sun Power

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

Great Expectations

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

What I call "White Gold." It was sold to me years ago as Gold Standard, but seems to have been a "bad" tissue culture that I've loved having.

This post was edited by ruth_mi on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 20:48

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Ruth, Oh My! What a beautiful yard you have. I should have know the rest of your yard would be as beautiful as the front of the house. I LOVE the picture of Sunpower! Are those Zinnias in the background? All of the pictures are beautiful and I'm so happy that you shared them with us.

LInda

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

hippieindenial - I LOVE that Frisian Waving Steel! I hadn't heard of it before. Shimmie Shake is awesome too.

Coll_123, your hostas are really something. That Thunderbolt is calling my name.

• hostanista
    9 years ago

My pineapples are doing really well this year. Pineapple Upside Down Cake planted 2012 has quadrupled in size and is not being bothered terribly by slugs and bugs.

• hostanista
    9 years ago

And my Pineapple Punch is huge and only 1 year old. I'm liking it.

• hostanista
    9 years ago

coll_123 - you call THAT "going downhill fast"?.....They're all beautiful! Wonderful pictures everyone!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

The hosta in this thread are just gorgeous---every one of them! One in particular caught my eye and that was Ruth's Tidewater. I saw a mature one in a private garden last year and it really made an impression on me. I've never seen a picture posted here since I viewed that one last year. It really grows into quite a beauty.

Here are a few pictures I took today.

First Frost. I love this hosta.

9 years ago

Cerveza

9 years ago

Brother Stefan

9 years ago

Great Expectations

Sorry. I should have taken a picture of the whole plant, but I didn't realize how good it was looking until I viewed it on my computer. The center has now changed from the yellow it emerged with to a white.

9 years ago

And can't forget about Striptease!

• vpeterson
    9 years ago

Jimmy Crack Corn looking good.

• User
    9 years ago

Look at that Guacamole! Santa, it is a beauty.

I was outside until almost dark waiting to catch a picture of Mama opening a new flower. Well, that did not work, and I cooked dinner, cleaned up, and with a flashlight came back out to see....was she open....no she was NoT.

So sorry folks, I had to come in. First I unscrewed the flashlight and dropped the battery;then had to put it together again. Well, it was a nice night. I';l say it does not open before 9pm CDT on this particular night in July.

Maybe she is taking the night off.

Earlier I was out moving around the current bloomers from those with pods or simply through blooming. I also used my hair clips to give the pods and flowers a pony tail vertical so I could walk between the rows. Gee, I had a lot of fun with that. All the ones with fat pods are looking fine to me. I am pleased with the entire fragrant gold lineup. Except for Frozen Margarita no pods, Moonlight Sonata no pods, I expected better. But, the pods I'm seeing, the BEES I see, I'm pleased with the whole garden, both ends of it.

I'm going to edit that right now. I do have FOUR plants which are heat dormant. Poor babies. First to go was Bibb Lettuce, a viridescent gold with light substance. Then I found same day Dust Devil, Sunny Disposition (big surprise), and Jabulani, which has a big fat seedpod on a stiff upright scape and no leaves at all. I Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out what I can do to stop further heat dormancies, taking all those ste[s....but at least it is not fatal. The plant is gone dormant to protect itself, which I think is commendable, and lets me know the hosta is working with me. It WANTS to live. And oh boy, how I want it to do just that.

I was out there all day today, mulching and relocating potted companions near the new shade screen....or should I say SUN SCREEN...because it's been up to 100 easily today, and I worked from early until nigh on to dark. Poor spouse had a can of tomato soup for dinner. What a great day it was!

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

My Grove of Fried Bananas

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Hostas for Barb, that one to the left of heatwave is Tokudama Flavocircinalis.

Awesome pictures, everyone! Nice to see things looking to great heading into August.

newhostalady, I absolutely love that photo of Great Expectations....the colors and textures are stunning! Now I'm wishing I tried harder to grow that one.

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

What a great thread! Not only did I clip several posts, I pulled the trigger on an order to Hallson's I've been sitting on for two months.
    Praying Hands
    Kathy

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Dancing Queen

• User
    9 years ago

I cannot say enough about all the gorgeous hosta in this thread!

Those Sum And Substance pictures are kicking XXX!
    Mac, I looked at yours and thought "pretty plant" and then I noticed the FENCE. Most chain link fences are 48 inches high, and that S&S of yours is all of that. GOOD GRIEF.

What a lovely response and thank you so much for so many treats.

• santamiller
    9 years ago

moccâ¦â¦.Did you have plants that went heat dormant last year? Did they all come back?

Loving all of the pictures!

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Fire and Ice

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

June Fever - just huge this year.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Elvis Lives - and he is doing well in Tecumseh, Ontario.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Island Charm - stuck her in a Hypertufa pot I got at a yard sale on a Hort. society bus tour and now think maybe I will just leave her there.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Francis Williams - very little dessication burn this year. One of my absolute favourites!

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

It is late July and only a few of the pictures show blooms. Do you cut them off?

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Penny Lane (top left) from Bridgewood Gardens

Straight out of the box from Naylor's Creek my Allegan Fog is doing beautifully. (lower right)

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Ryse: I had to go out and look at the scape situation on those I posted LOL. Island charm had already bloomed and I removed the old scapes before taking the photo. Francis Williams had very short scapes and some with seed pods were still hiding under the leaves. If you look very closely at the dark spot in the centre of June fever you will see a flower bud just starting to rise up. And the rest had scapes in the PIC. But I do remove them when the flowers are done blooming.
    Here is a photo of Krossa Regal - always the tallest scapes in my garden. Is this the case for others too?

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

Some really great hosta pictures. Zcathy, I should post a picture of my Dancing Queen so you can appreciate your beautiful one even more! My leaves are really eaten up.

Hostanista - love your pineapples!

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

What a great collection of hosta's. Here are some more of mine.
    Confused Angel.

9 years ago

Dream Queen

9 years ago

Final Summation?

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Glad you asked, Vanessa! Well, for starters, my Fire and Ice is also just unbelievably unblemished!! I attribute that to it being potted, but it seems to me that the slug population is definitely diminished this year...so far!

F & I today...

9 years ago

Mac, I just about jumped into your Confused Angel pic! Lol
    I have one too, a newbie this year...it's colour has taken on some avocado- like tone as I keep moving it around..can't decide where to plant it :-(

Back to your beauty...I really like the setting in which yours is growing - I am excited at its potential size when looking at yours. Sooo glad I bought it!

Barb, Tecumseh, you say? Why, you are basically "down the road a-ways", lol. You sure do have a beautiful property, stunningly landscaped!...not to mention amazing hostas.

I'm looking for new words to describe the quality of hosta photos contained in this thread! They are all simply outstanding! Bookmarking this thread - for sure!!!

Now.....don't laugh me out of this thread....but I am soo relieved that my Guacamole (yes, it IS really a Guacamole) is finally starting to show a few newer leaves that actually resemble a G, although the size is lacking this year. The winter really knocked the sails out from under him, but boy, is he trying valiantly to please me! Okay...you can chuckle, but don't hurt it's feelings...it is really trying. I've got him in full sun on purpose - I need this boy strong next year! :-)

9 years ago

Lakeside Shore Master - one-year-old growing well - this was my Top Gun last year...simply love it. It will be even more beautiful with maturity...in the form of corrugation.

9 years ago

Choko Nishiki aka On Stage...the many faces of OS..doing well as a newbie this year.

9 years ago

Thanks Josephine. Mine is on it's second year and has been moved a couple of times so I'm sure you'll see a lot more growth on yours next year. I like the "angel" hosta's ( probably to balance the devil in me) and have guardian, Megan's and earth angel also. Here's earth angel.

9 years ago

Btw Josephine, your guacamole looks great. One of my fav hosta's.

9 years ago

Mac, Guacamole and I thank you! :-). How old is your Earth Angel? Huge! and awesome!

This post was edited by josephines67 on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 17:50

9 years ago

You and your guacamole are welcome :) this is the second year for my earth angel. It was a one gallon plant and is growing fast. Seems like I can't post without including a pic so here's Mount Tom

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I like that Mount Tom!

Here are Liberty and Big Daddy from today. Both live in full shade, so Liberty never turns cream on the edges and Big Daddy stays blue all season, pretty much. Liberty had grown well for me in the shade...Big Daddy, not so much

And Sea Gulf Stream still looks pretty

• User
    9 years ago

You guys are knocking the top out of GWeb's server, I betcha. What a hosta marathon thread.

Confused Angel....with the ferns, Mac, I think that is one of the best photos of it I've seen, and now I would love to get one of those. Sigh....so many hostas, so little time/room.

Santa, yes, one went heat dormant in 2012. None in 2013, but so far 4 in 2014. I'll do another thread on that one. Could not get my computer to respond last time I was on, and gave it a break just turned it on after dinner. I was out working heavy duty all day in the garden, shuffling things around so the better looking plants had what they needed, the wimpy ones could go to ICU, the bloomers all get close together, and the whole place get refreshed.

• hostalisa
    9 years ago

Loving my great expectations!

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

In one word,NONE!! Phil