Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wieslaw59

For whom your heart is beating faster

wieslaw59
11 years ago

While the poll-mania is at it's highest on this forum, I have a REAL ONE. The situation is: the mankind is leaving this planet, you are only allowed to take 3 (three) hostas with you.

Nobody will listen to : 'It's too hard to choose only 3' or alike. You cannot sneak in # 4 or 5 or tie or whatever. There is no place or time for this.

Can you share with os which ones do you love the most?

Comments (35)

• i-like-to-grow
    11 years ago

Sagae
    Regal Splendor
    Paul's Glory

• alexis717_df
    11 years ago

OUCH! This is gonna hurt....

Sagae
    Montana Aureomarginata
    Dancing Queen

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Montana Aureomarginata
    Sun Power
    Fuji-Botan

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Paradise Power
    Sagae
    Olive Bailey Langdon

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

It would have to be:

Dorothy Benedict (a streaked sieboldiana type)
    montana f. Macrophylla (for leaf shape)
    Plantaginea

From these three you can breed the others.

Steve

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Picked partially because I think the three would be nice planted together (which they aren't in my garden) and would show off the qualities of each other.

Jade Cascade
    Paradigm
    Sea Gulf Stream

• Jagd51
    11 years ago

If I could only take 3, it would have to be ones that are bulletproof and have a history of breeding or sporting. So I'd go with

August Moon (50 sports)
    Sieboldiana Elegans (46 sports) self seeds all the time
    Sum & Substance (57 sports)

They are all oldies, but still gorgeous plants to start over with!

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    11 years ago

Krossa Regal
    Sum & Substance
    montana Aureomarginata

• Cricket_Love
    11 years ago

err....GOLDEN Meadows too :P

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    11 years ago

If we are leaving and I have to carry these I am going small.

Corn Belt
    American Sweetheart
    Brim Cup

Can I bring a heuchera or 2 also? (jk no im not) Paula

• coll_123
    11 years ago

I'm also going to travel light and narrow it down to the one that is giving me the most warm and fuzzies this year-

Tokudama Flavocircinalis

....it's got chartreuse, it's got blue, it's got corrugation, it's got a little cupping....I'm all set.

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

The 20 limit was a total joke for me, as I could do that list twice a day for 20 days, so I'm not even going here.

Nice try, teehee!

hh

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Since Steve is on my ship with his hosta gene pool, I have the Liberty to choose what I like, which is a variegated, a big blue and a big yellow :

Liberty,
    Blue Umbrellas,
    Sum and Substance.

• iammstuck zone 5
    11 years ago

I will pick the ones that always look great, no burn, no slugs and are happy and bigger every year. I will leave the breading to you guys.

Krossa Regal
    Regal Splendor
    Little Treasure

and I would toss a coin on Striptease or sneak it in because rules are meant to be broken...

• wieslaw59
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hostahillbilly, the last travel is voluntary. You can stay here with all your hostas and watch them explode.Nobody will force you.

I think I could be a 'soul mate' with the person called mosswitch(the same hostas)

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

So far they all seem to be my favorite one , then I see another and blow my bubble. Why nobody posted their fav pictures too?? Some of us are new at this and have to look up all the posted ones ;)

11 years ago

LOL Remember the world will explode. We have to go. No time for photo! Working on hosta smuggling device right now.

• Wendys_garden
    11 years ago

Like Steve, I have to think about breeding, while still sticking to my favorites . . .

First Frost . . . (gives me nice powder blue seedlings)
    Emerald Ruff Cut . . . (for the green & yellow color, ruffles, & puckering traits)
    Fickle Blue Genes . . . (need a decent streaker for breeding variegated seedlings)

Almosthooked, here's the pix for you:

First Frost:

Emerald Ruff Cut:

photo courtesy HostaLibrary. I don't have a current pic of mine

Fickle Blue Genes:

photo courtesy HostaLibrary. Mine is too young yet for a good photo.

Wendy

• coll_123
    11 years ago

if I really had to pick my top three favorites, it's pretty easy- though like the top 20 list, this could change in time.

It's Tokudama F

Thunderbolt

Manhattan

pics

• wieslaw59
    Original Author
    11 years ago

excuse my interruption: coll 123, your Manhattan made me soft in my knees.Never seen it before.

You may continue.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

coll, I like your garden, and especially that H.'Manhattan', beautiful! Bernd

• mary52zn8tx
    11 years ago

Wow, that Manhattan is perfection!
    Golden Meadows
    June
    Regal Promenade

• coll_123
    11 years ago

Thanks, guys- I love Manhattan too. It's only fault is that it wants to face the neighbor's yard for some reason. Very annoying when plants do that!

• Carole Westgaard
    11 years ago

Coll 123 - where do you live? Doesn't the '10' mean 'Zone 10'? I want to move there.

Westy

• coll_123
    11 years ago

Hm, not sure how that number got changed. I'm in zone five, in Maine

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Hey, wait a minute. What's with these male hostaholics? "Mankind" has to leave this planet NOW, and all they are taking with them is hosta? What about women? You know, wives, sisters, mothers, daughters, significant others? As a part of the ignored "womankind," I protest this hosta-sexism!

Kate

• wieslaw59
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dublinbay, Womankind can take their hostas too.

Correction to coll 123: it can't change once we've departed. You can't just go back and change your hostas .

• Carole Westgaard
    11 years ago

Coll123: I figured something was awry with that zone. I was betting you are either in Maine or the PNW. Your garden is absolutely gorgeous - can you send more pix? The hostas are perfect, the stone walls are amazing - and it looks like there's a lot of dappled shade. Perfect. Please post more or let us know if you're in the gallery.

Thanks,
    Westy

• wieslaw59
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for sharing. Only 17 people from this forum love hostas?

Here are the results : only 36 hostas are loved enough to be taken to another planet.

Only 9 hostas are loved by more than 1 person.Here they are:

Sagae
    Montana Aureomarginata
    Sum and Substance
    Krossa Regal
    Sun Power
    Golden Meadows
    Fuji Botan
    Regal Splendour
    Tokudama F

27 hostas will be taken by 1 person:

American Sweetheart
    August Moon
    Blue Umbrellas
    Brim Cup
    Corn Belt
    Dancing Queen
    Dorothy Benedict
    Emerald Ruff Cuff
    Fickle Blue Genes
    First Frost
    Guardian Angel
    Jade Cascade
    June
    Liberty
    Little Treasure
    Manhattan
    Montana f. macrophylla
    Olive Bay Langdon
    Paradise Power
    Paradigm
    Paul's Glory
    Plantaginea
    Regal Promenade
    Sea Gulf Stream
    Sieboldiana Elegans
    Thunderbolt

So, the hostas above are the REAL WINNERS. The rest are just fillers.

11 years ago

Interesting results but I am going to still work on my hosta smuggling device just in case. Thank you for putting this together for us. It was fun. Have a great grow day, Paula

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Actually the United Nations decided that only couples may leave, so there you have it, 6 hostas is the limit.

• wieslaw59
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Paula. Thanks to this thread I've got 2 new plants on my OMG-list.(Manhattan and Emerald Ruff Cut)

• User
    11 years ago

Hmmm, how did I not see this thread when it began? I was up until midnight central zone, GMT -5 counting daylight savings.

I'm going with a lot of hosta SEED. Then for plants:
    Dorothy Benedict, the prolific multiplier
    Plantaginea, because I adore this one, although just my luck the place we land will be ice cold
    Sagae because it is so vigorous

• jamie81
    11 years ago

Nice to see Sagae on so many lists. I don't have a lot of Hostas, but it is my favorite. It is huge, and even though I don't know what I am doing, it looks great. I also love my Nigrecens, and my Black Hills. I don't see those much, but mine are really nice.

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Hey nobody said we couldn't smuggle seeds in our socks or somwhere! I'm takin' my seeds!