Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idiothe

#2 The Poll To End All Polls (until the next one) - BLUE

idiothe
11 years ago

VOTING FOR BLUE HOSTAS

The Objective: to come up with a list of the best-of-the-best hostas by coloration and clump size. Blue Mouse Ears and Queen of the Seas are both fine hostas, but they don't serve the same functions in the garden, so we're going to generate a very useful list. Please encourage your friends to vote... the bigger the pool of voters, the better the results.

The Rules:

You can vote for ONE OR TWO hostas in each size category - don't agonize over the sizes - just give it your best shot... we can move things around a little as necessary. The goal is just to get at least one good vote from each person in any size category for which they have a favorite.

Size:

We all know sizes are tricky to nail down - we are basing our votes on the overall diameter of the hosta clump at maturity under typical gardening conditions. When a hosta is a contender but seems to straddle the categories, I will refer to Zilis and consult with folks - but ultimately I'm the decider! Just give me your favorites - we can sort things out later.

Here are your five categories... please list your votes by category:

Dwarf/Mini = equal to or smaller than 18" diameter

Small = larger than 18" and smaller than 28" diameter

Medium = larger than 28" and smaller than 48"

Large = larger than 48" and smaller than 66"

Extra Large = equal to or larger than 66"

If you frequent more than one hosta forum, please vote on only one of the sites.

BLUE HOSTAS... YOUR FAVORITES!

Comments (26)

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Jim could you check sizes for these. Can't think of a dwarf/mini blue - I assume there must be some.

L Abiqua Drinking Gourd
    XL Blue Angel
    M Blue Arrow
    M Blue Cadet (blue?)
    L Blue Hawaii
    S Blue Mouse Ears
    M Blue Wedgwood
    M Blueberry Muffin
    M Bulletproof
    M Camelot
    M Cutting Edge (blue?)
    XL Elegans
    M Halcyon
    M Kingfisher
    XL Krossa Regal
    M? Lakeside Old Smokey
    L Love Pat
    L Neptune
    M October Sky
    M Pewterware
    XL Queen of the Seas
    M Tokudama
    M Ultramarine

Paul

• hostahosta
    11 years ago

I'll vote this time (guess I don't have many green in my garden, but lots of blues). Please adjust if I have them in the wrong size categories.

Small: Mouse Ears
    Medium: Halcyon, Pacific Blue Edger
    L:
    VL: Krossa Regal, Blue Angel

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Dwarf: Blue Ice
    Small: Blue Mouse Ears, Blue Cadet
    Medium: Halcyon,Lakeside Old Smokey
    Large: Neptune, Blue Hawaii
    Very large: Blue Angel, Queen of the Seas

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Blue Ice
    Blue Mouse Ears
    Halcyon
    Queen of the Seas

-Babka

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Small: Blue Moon, Fragrant Blue
    Medium: Fragrant Star, Astral Bliss
    Large: Elegans, Bressingham Blue
    V.Large: Blue Angel

• idiothe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had the same question, paul... since I'm putting Blue Mouse Ears in the small category as it clearly is a good grower and won't want to stay in the minis (where I think most of the light centered sports of BME will end up...) - no truly tiny blue ones come to mind. My Blue Chip has never approached 18" - been growing them since the 2000 convention...

now, let me reorganize by size and see how we end up

S Blue Mouse Ears
    M Blue Wedgwood
    M Blueberry Muffin
    M Bulletproof
    M Blue Arrow
    M Blue Cadet (blue - yup)
    M Camelot
    M Cutting Edge (blue? nope, green... though the white underside made me think twice - and walk out into the garden to check my memory!)
    M Halcyon
    M Kingfisher (right on the small-medium cut-off I'll only decide if this is your final choice! I don't grow it and it insn't on my favorite list from other gardens...
    M October Sky (too new for the hostapedia... Don Dean registered it at 6 years old at 30", so I think we have to assume it will go into that medium category as it grows)
    M Tokudama (OK - Zilis calls it a medium, then shows a planting of mature Tokudamas that are clearly bigger than the 44" he lists - then he describes some in Japan he measured at 80"! My mature clumps - 15 years - are definitely large... but most people will grow it as a medium... so its a medium.)
    M Ultramarine
    M Pewterware (Don Dean calls it a small so we'll go with SMALL)
    M Lakeside Old Smokey
    L Blue Hawaii (nope, this is an Olga P introduction as a Very Large)
    L Abiqua Drinking Gourd (tends to sprawl a little, but most folks grow it as a MEDIUM... generally stays under the 4' diameter mark...
    L Love Pat
    L Neptune (pretty recent registration - Hansen said it reached 48" in 7 years in Waseca, MN... but given its growth rate and my sense of it in my garden, I'm guessing this one, in spite of all of its medium parentage, wants to be a LARGE. I might eat my words in the future, but I'll put this one in LARGE...)
    XL Blue Angel
    XL Elegans (though it can get into the XL category, typically this is a LARGE)
    XL Krossa Regal (again, typically grown a a LARGE, with the xl clumps usually more of a colony than a specimen... we'll call it LARGE)
    XL Queen of the Seas (so far, this one, too... is a LARGE)

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

MINI: Baby Blue Eyes, Blue Ice
    SMALL: Blue Mouse Ears, Blue Sliver
    MEDIUM: Sky Dancer, Reptillian (also Cutting Edge, Carolina Blue, Camelot, Theo's Blue and many more)
    LARGE: Blue Whirls, Blue Betty Lou
    GIANT: Blue Umbrellas, Krossa Regal

• trudy_gw
    11 years ago

Dwarf: Beard Beard - (mine has stayed very small)
    Small: Her Eyes Were Blue, Kiwi Blue Baby
    Medium: Skylight, War Party- (still a nice blue in our heat wave!)
    Large: Neptune, Queen of the Seas
    Very large: Powder Blue

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Tough one -

Dwarf/Mini:
    Small: Blue Mouse Ears, Pewterware
    Medium: Blue Arrow, Blueberry Muffin
    Large: Love Pat, Queen of the Seas
    Extra Large: Blue Hawaii, Blue Angel

Thanks Jim.

Paul

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Small - 'Blue Mouse Ears'
    Medium - 'Blue Boy', 'Canadian Blue'
    Large - 'Krossa Regal'

Great poll - looking forward to making use of the results!
    Jan

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Small = Blue Mouse Ears, Valentine Lace
    Medium = Skylight, Silver Bay
    Large = Queen of the Seas, Frank Lloyd Wright
    X-Large = Blue Angel, Blue Mammoth

Steve

• i-like-to-grow
    11 years ago

BME
    Blue Cadet
    Halcyon
    Love Pat
    ABG
    Krossa Regal
    Elegans
    Blue Angel
    QOTS

• Cindy Johnston
    11 years ago

Dwarf/Mini = Blue Mounse Ears
    Small = Blaue Venus
    Medium = Halcyon, Reptilian
    Large = Queen of the Seas, Powder Blue
    Extra Large = Blue Angel, Blue Hawaii

• kent
    11 years ago

SM: Kiwi Blue Baby
    MD: Halycon
    LG: Neptune
    XL: Blue Angel

• User
    11 years ago

Okay, here goes

Mini/Dwarf:.......Popo

Small......Fragrant Blue, Astral Bliss, Blue Jay

Medium.........Ultramarine, King of Spades, Awakening Angel

Large.............Queen of the Seas, Yankee Blue

Very Large........Blue Angel

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue leaved hosta list --Don Rawson

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Unfortunately I do not have the collection nor the experience that most on here do, but I would like to cast a vote for:

Elegans

since I do have a mature clump in my garden and would recommend this hosta as a solid grower, performer, and enchantress.

Thanks,

Ludi

• idiothe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, all, for joining in! More votes are welcome.

Unlike the yellows, where my favorite is yet to get a single vote... here my favorite (that I would expect to be considered for Hosta of the Year and particularly for the Benedict Medal) is getting lots of votes.

Ludi, I know you are just building a new hosta collection - but I don't want folks think they have to have the hosta to vote for it. I don't want votes based on catalog descriptions, but I know I'll vote for a couple I've seen in other gardens that I don't have myself... Elegans is certainly deserving of your vote, though!

And mocassin... can't have three... I used to hold people to one vote per category, but that caused breakdowns... so you can have one or two... but not three! (Can't fault any of your choices, though...)

• User
    11 years ago

Ok, I do a revote here, if that is okay.

UPDATE********************************************

Okay, here goes

Mini/Dwarf:.......Popo

Small......Fragrant Blue, Astral Bliss

Medium.........Ultramarine, King of Spades [removed 1]

Large.........Queen of the Seas, Yankee Blue [removed 1]

Very Large........Blue Angel

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

Despite this being the middle of the 'friends and family' actually visit this remote northern area, (this week is one of the in-laws and out-laws visiting weeks), I'll try to wander the gardens and make a 'this day these grabbed me' list and uplaod it.

As an aside comment, the whole BME story about being a mini is going to intrigue me to my grave.

It seems the AHS changed the definitions regarding minis after it was declared a HOTY and later came to light that it, in maturity, exceeded the former standards for minis.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes things need to be adjusted, but then again, adjustments are sometimes a product of, well, oops.

Now I'm positively banished from the 'in crowd' of Hosta greats, right?

Actually, that happened a few years ago, so now I just say what I think, often wrong, sometimes worth thought, or so I think...
    fwiw,

hh

• idiothe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oh, man... mocassin... you are being such a good sport... but I've got to tell you, I've been agonizing over whether Fragrant Blue is a medium - or a large. I've got old clumps that break the 48" mark, but more typically they would be around 36-40"... we're calling them MEDIUM.

And hhb... I too was kind of disturbed by all the back and forth on the sizes around the BME dispute - and finally just came to the conclusion that those folks who want to do leaf shows and judge leaf shows just get to set sizes any way they want.

As much as I enjoy a leaf show, there is no way that I'm going to call a 28" diameter hosta clump of small leaves a mini... and likewise, a plant that stays small in diameter by nature but has leaves 18" long on a couple of eyes after a decade in the garden just isn't an extra-large.

Of course, the nursery folks and catalog writers are pretty much ignoring the official AHS leaf-area size labeling and going with height-and-width sizing anyway...

• User
    11 years ago

Idiothe, about Fragrant Blue. Where did I put it this time?
    I thought someone had listed it in the SMALL category, so that is where I put mine.....but mine is getting to be in the small/medium range at this time.

If you don't want it where it is, I'll just bump it out of here. It won't get its feelings hurt, you know. And I'll be happy if I don't get confused. It is 2:30 in the morning and I PROMISED I was going to bed EARLY tonight....so much for that. But not a good time for me to try surgery on my ballot. hehehehe.

• irawon
    11 years ago

small: Blue Mouse Ears, Blue Jay
    medium: Halcyon, Canadian Blue
    large: Blue Hawaii, Queen of the Seas
    X Large: Krossa Regal (leaving out Blue Angel as I'm not impressed with it)

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Well then, if that is the case where I do not necessarily have to grow it to vote it . . . I would also like to add:

Gemstone (small ?)

to my vote for BLUES. I have only seen pictures of this cultivar but have it high on my wishlist as it seems like it would be a solid grower as well as aesthetically pleasing.

I could be wrong, experience is 9/10's of the law.

Ludi :)

• ejr2005
    11 years ago

Mini: Flemish Sky
    Small: Blue Mouse Ears
    Medium: Silver Bay, Halcyon
    Large: Love Pat, Deep Blue Sea
    XL: Blue Mammoth

• treemon
    11 years ago

Mini:Baby Blue Eyes
    Small: Blue Mouse Ears, Blueberry Muffin