Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Dark Star or Battle Star?

dublinbay z6 (KS)
10 years ago

I'm going to order 3 hosta today for my star trek/star wars/sci fi corner (suddenly my son thinks hosta might be interesting--imagine that!), but I can't decide which I prefer--Dark Star or Battle Star--to go with Captain Kirk and Vulcan. A search of this forum didn't yield much information, but just in case, is there anyone else out there that is familiar with these two? If so, any reason to prefer one to the other--other than that fact that one is wider (3 ft) than the other (2+ ft) ?

Appreciate any input you can give.

Kate

Comments (12)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I have 'Battle Star', and I like it, quite unusual-looking, but for me it's been a slow grower. It's shown to be quite sun-tolerant to my area, however. I've heard 'Dark star' is a faster grower. I guess you'd be well-served getting either one. If I had to choose, not being sold yet on 'Battle Star' go for 'Dark Star'. Unless your son likes one name over the other. Then it's an easy choice. : )

Regards,
    Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

I have no experience with Battle Star but DO have a Dark Star. It is a great grower and quite lovely. This one is 3 years old and has doubled since I got it. Fairly slug resistant too.

Here's a photo.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Dark Star is easy and attractive

Captain Kirk is really easy and fast and sun-tolerant... the white-centered sports like Vulcan, Enterprise (and my "Dammit, Jim!" have been much slower.

Starship is also a CK sort... yellow with white margins... and has been a pretty good grower for me.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info. Think I'll go with Dark Star since it got more positive ratings--and probably might be a better size anyway.

Glad to hear Capt Kirk is a good one and sun-tolerant since I was a bit concerned about how much shade that corner of the bed would get (mostly light shade, couple hours of light). Hopefully Vulcan (completely in light shade) will grow a bit more vigorously than idiothe's, but if not, it should still look good.

Nothing like adding a little pop culture to the garden! I had to look up "Dark Star" to get caught up on my sci fi lore--interesting--a 1974 cult classic, satire on Space Odyssey 2001. An astronaut in outer space having a philosophical argument with a recalcitrant "smart bomb" (I think therefore I am)--certainly has possibilities.

See how educational hosta gardening is!

LOL

Kate

10 years ago

More positive but useful information as well....it's been recommended in books to plant Dark Star in "shade to deep shade", a recommendation I decided to test...ignored...I didn't want to place this very pretty hosta where it could not be seen (I have only one spot, small, with deep shade). There's an obvious reason for deep shade....colour retention for one, however....my hosta, my choice ....

DS enjoys full sun from sun-up till around 2:00pm....she would very likely be more blue with less sun, but I think she's fabulous just as she is. The fact that she is not suffering from heat and humidity, does NOT get water pampered, the slugs don't seem to bother her.....well, add all that up and you've got a trouper of a hosta. I'm loving this hosta more and more. She looks like a diva but looks are deceiving! Lol

You'll be very happy with your choice, I'm that confident!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Josephine, for the additional information.

My son protested that Dark Star has nothing to do with Star Trek and therefore doesn't belong in the Star Trek garden.

I told him there was a missing Star Trek episode about the Enterprise having to go rescue the crew of the Dark Star after it exploded.

That'll keep him busy trying to track down the missing episode, don't you think? : )

Kate

10 years ago

Kate, that's brilliant!!! Lol. You never know...You might have a new budding gardener/hosta lover in the making?

• User
    10 years ago

Especially if you let your son help pick out a theme icon, by which I mean, maybe a rocket ship, or a shooting star or a wall mounted plaque of the Enterprise maybe. They sell all sorts of StarTrek memorabilia, even toys.

Note: I can hear Esther in NYC making a snorting sound over the chatchke ornaments in the garden....hehehehehe. Maybe she has some "leftovers" from her neighbor to ship to you? :)
    But, the ornamentation doesn't HAVE to be weird. It could be a birdhouse on a pole that features a space theme. Or, your son could paint a board with the Star Trek theme of his preference.

Philosophically speaking, gardening can encompass a lot more than just poking posies into the ground. It has a message to deliver too.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Boldly go where no weeds have gone before!

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

I only have Dark Star,too,and it is a good grower in my woodland garden,where it doesn't get any direct sun,but grows well under my Dogwood trees Phil

10 years ago

Is it bluer, Phil? Curious...got a photo handy svp?

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

I got a h. dark star in a trade a couple of years ago.

It died. [all true]

Does that mean ... It's a ...

wait for it

... death star?

^_^ --~

dave

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler