Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spilt Milk

Posted by Keana 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 15, 11 at 9:18

Why does my Spilt Milk not have any "milk" on it. One leaf has a very thin white streak, otherwise the whole thing is green. Planted it in 2009. It had good coloring then, but has nothing now. Is this a dud? Or, does it have anything to do with location? It gets morning sun.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spilt Milk

its reverting to an all green plant

its carp anyway ... except for two peeps.. one in mn.. one in WI.. its not a great grower ... maybe one in NC also ..

if its taking up limited space.. be done with it ...

ken

o

And at least one in Canada. According to my meter stick this guy is about 45" across.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Might be the WI one Ken mentioned.

Photobucket

And a little closer...

Photobucket

tj

o

Make that two in MN - my Spilt Milk has really gone to town this season. Still plenty of "milk" on my five-year-old plant.

Photobucket

o

I recently picked one up that is still in the pot. It is just now leafing out and it looks like only one eye has white on the leaves.

Should I take the non milky eyes out of the equation before I plant it or just leave it be?

o

I was talking with W. George Schmid a couple months ago about the variegation of 'Spilt Milk'. George emailed me the following observations about 'Spilt Milk':

"Zilis uses the term 'misting', which I believe is an applicable term for some of the variegation. I used "splashing" and "streaking" in my book, which I should have explained better. The plant I cultivated here was large and I had it for 20 years, after which you had to get a magnifying glass to notice the misted variegation without streaks. It finally reverted to all blue-green, with no variegation at all. Most specimens I have seen were more misted than splashed or streaked. However, I looked at the pictures in the Hosta Library and of those examples, some may be called streaked, On the same plant you can see some leaves without streak and misted only, while others have isolate streaks. The problem is that the variegation pattern for this cultivar seems to depend on cultivation conditions and many of the examples in the South are "misted" and finely defined and without streaks. Some others I have seen further north could be called splashed or streaked. Apparently Mark Z wrestled with this problem and came up with misted, to which I would add with occasional splashes (or streaks). A streak is a long thin stripe or band that is a different color from its background or surroundings and a splash is a mark or stain made by something splashing or being splashed and which may not necessarily be a thin stripe. In the end, most of the plants I have seen have irregular misting all over the leaf with an occasional streak (or linear splash)."

o

In 2009 on MnHS tour there was this Spilt Milk which tipped me from waiting to buying - as good a spilt look as I have seen-
Hosta 'Spilt Milk'

And mine from last year-
Hosta 'Spilt Milk' Pictures, Images and Photos

Add two more for MN.

Paul

o

I would try another one.Mine is doing well after several years but it is a slow grower.Hosta Library has a cool pic of a variation of it called Dogtown Spilt Milkshake.Here is mine.

target="_blank">Spilt Milk

Here is a huge one belonging to Just1morehosta(probably spelled wrong).

2009 GW Carole's

Phil

o

When I was at Made In THe Shade, we picked out a couple of Spilt Milk. He help me pick 2 nice ones that showed promise of staying stable:
Spilt Milk

o

Seems like quite a few are having good luck or the right conditions to keep it looking good for a long time. I'm going for it. I would suggest that those who haven't had good luck shouldn't be crying over Spilt Milk.

o

Boos and groans.

Okay. I thought it was pretty funny!

o

Oh, I deserve the boos and groans.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here