Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gogirlterri

What's in a name?

gogirlterri
10 years ago

In another post I injected a little humor by signing off as 'Theresa' indicating I am a human cultivar. That got me to thinking: What would I be to a scientist? I thought it might be a creative approach for us all to gain more insight into what is in the names of our hostas.

So help me out here. I am giving a starting point:

homo sapiens var. 'Abnormalis Theresa'
or
homo sapiens var. abnormalis 'theresa'
or
homo sapiens var. Caucasus var. abnormalis
or
Homo Sapiens caucasus var. abnormalis 'theresa'?

Is homo sapiens the family or species? Would Caucasus be a variation or species? If homo sapiens is not the species, but the family name should it be capitalized or not?

See, I really do need help! Please jump in and explain all the rules, because they apply to both me and my hosta.

Gogirlterri until I find the answer to my dilemma

Comments (11)

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Gogirlterri/Theresa:
    You have way too much time on your hands.

• gogirlterri
    Original Author
    10 years ago

True.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

I have also heard some say when they started their hosta collecting that who really cares what a hosta is named but then after getting a couple more decides maybe it IS important after all . no problem to call you go go girl or Terri or Theresa ha ha What a dilemma for a Friday

almost, Faye or hooked?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Homo (cap H as its the genus) sapiens (small s as its the species) 'Theresa'. Sapiens means wise in this context and is derived from the Latin sapere which is to "know information". Also where we get the word "sapience"- the ability of an organism or entity to act with judgment.

How we get the word "sap", as in, "that tj is such a sap", I'll leave to others.

tj

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Faye+almosthooked=Faye is hooked : )

Don B.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Homo is the Genus.

sapiens is the species.

The correct name for modern man is Homo sapiens sapiens.

Other species of Homonids are Homo sapiens neanderthalus or Homo erectus.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiki - Homo sapiens.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Almost hooked- (well, perhaps your ARE hooked?)

Yes!! Someone DID say they didn't care what a hosta was named, and now they do. I also am following the progression. ;-)

-Babka

• gogirlterri
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tj-a good start & Steve; I don't know why I wasn't even thinking of Genus. My mind was going straight from Family to species.

We still haven't addressed var. abnormalis.

Just joking about how I sign off though peeps. I love Theresa or Theresa Ann and prefer them. I only use Terri to prevent duplicity and Therri seems weird.

So for the time being I am Homo sapiens var. "Abnormalis" Theresa.
    For our lurkers who may not be following my silliness (my abnormality) I simply am using 'me' to apply proper taxonomic rules that also apply to our hostas.

I think this is right:
    Genus - Lilium
    Family - Hosta
    Species - (example) ventricosa: note small v - or -
    "hybrid or cultivar" - (example) 'Paradigm': note cap. P
    A naturally occurring variety of an identified species that is genetically identical to the species is identified as such -
    (example) Hosta clausa var, "Normalis" which is the most common or originally named variety.

Theresa

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

On a more serious note (technically) you need to take a peek at George Schmid's tome..."The Genus Hosta". There is a fine link at the Hosta Library called "Species Update".

-Babka

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Theresa- Family is Hostaceae (formerly Liliaceae), and it has but one genus (monotypic) which is Hosta.

tj

• gogirlterri
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks tj: I knew that wasn't right as soon as I'd posted it and figured someone would correct my error. I just couldn't remember the right one.

Theresa